Salt Build-Up DWC

Discussion in 'Hydroponic Growing' started by graphuto, Oct 22, 2010.

1. So. I read DrTrichomes guide to using the Lucas formula, or any feeding regiment, to it's maximum potential. I'm running a SCRoG right now in a 5-gal Bubble Bucket. My goal was to not have to completely change out the water.

So I started with roughly 4 gallons of 1000 PPM 5.7 PH'd water. I add back 5.8 PH'd clean water every day until I have added back roughly 4 gallons of clean water. Now my PPM's read 1300!? How is this possible? When I dumped the nutrient solution, it was practically clear, not that nice pinkish color the 2 part Lucas formula gives. (GH Micro and Bloom).

So my question is this: How do I achieve "never change your res" ?

2. So I guess the question is / are ..
    What was the PPM of the water going in?
    How much pH UP / DOWN have you added?

3. Roughly 400 PPM water from tap. Just enough down to stabilize the mix at 5.8

4. Wellll - you should not be using 400 ppm water in your bucket ...
    Do you measure the final on the tap water (ppm) when you are done adjusting?

5. To add a little info. First, yes, 400 ppm tap, way too high.

To use the lucas Formula with no flushes (I did this for my 1st grow this past summer), you do not add back just water. If you add back just water, when you have added as much water as is in your res, you should then do a complete flush. If you want no flushes, you must add back water + nutes. As far as buildup goes, if you want to run with no flushes, I highly suggest adding Drip Clean to your system. Use about .5 ml per gallon. It prevents salt buildups and keeps everything nice and clean.

So in Summary

1. You gotta use different water, or let that tap water sit for a couple of days before using it.
    2. If you do not want to fluish ever, you have to add water+ nutes back to your res, not just water.
    3. If adding back just water, since you are using 4 gallons, when you have added back 4 gallons, then change your res completely.
    4. Use drip clean in every gallon you use. THe shit really works.

6. LoL. If I add back nute, then the PPM is FOR SURE gonna get too high out of whack. If I had been adding back nute water, the PPM would have gone from 1000 to around 1700. My question was: "How could the PPM POSSIBLY get higher if I'm ONLY adding back fresh water?

7. Tap water with 400ppm could have tons of wacked out ratios of minerals that could potentially lock-out the ones you add to the solution with the flora nutes. I suggest always using pure RO water in hydroponics to avoid these issues. This will give you better control over what you are feeding your plants. If mineral salts bind with one another in solution, they essentially become useless to your plant, and will rise the TDS of the solution significantly throughout the grow.

Once dialed-in as per my other thread, you will always be adding full-strength nutrient solution to the res due to the fact that the plants are absorbing equal amounts of nutrient minerals and water. So long story short, no more tap water.

Also, as BadAxe said, the use of Drip Clean will greatly reduce the binding of nutrient salts thus allowing them to maintain their beneficial qualities to the plants. I swear by the stuff! Hope this helps. Peace

8. Thanks alot Dr.Trich!