Safety Question: Mounting magnetic ballasts side by side

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by birmas, Oct 14, 2011.

1. As the title says, I was wondering if there may be any safety concerns with mounting two 400W ballasts side by side (as pictured)

Can the magnets interfere with each other?

Thanks in advance

DSC_0106.JPG

2. I've had a ballast literally melt the plastic wiring inside of it. I got refunded but burning plastic is toxic. Ballasts do tend to get hot so I wouldn't recommend putting them directly together. Maybe put some 2" wooden wedges between them. Also remove the wire from the actual casing or anything that feels hot while the light is running. Use common sense.

3. Thanks for the reply medicinal.

I think I have the heat covered, while the photo was taken before I had done it, the loose cables that you can see there are hanging in hooks above the ballast now. Putting a wedge between the ballasts is a great idea, thanks.

I was more interested in whether having two powerful magnets side by side could have any influence on each other.

4. #4 hostileguy, Oct 15, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 15, 2011
    If your ballasts are already Electromagnetically Shielded then you are safe. Try to contact the manufacturing company or any good store where they sell them and ask them if it is so. But without the shielding, Electromagnetic Interference can be harmful to the ballasts.