Safest technique to remove plants from pots

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Outdoors' started by thatguy420, Apr 25, 2008.

1. What is the safest technique to remove plants from their pots when transplanting outside?? I dont want to rip roots etc..

2. depends on the post but if it plastic i would just break it.

3. Yea, depends on the pot. If you want to keep the pot, the best thing to do is gently squeeze the pot to push the soil away from the edge, but your hand on top of the soil so the plant is going through your fingers, then turn it upside down and it should slide right out.
    When using party cups or peat pots, or something you dont want to keep, I find it easier to just cut them down one side, then along the bottom to ensure a perfect draw.

4. Cool thank both of you for your replies..keep smokin

5. i gently squeeze the outside of my plastic pot all the way around then tip it upside down and tap the bottom, this may break a few of the outter most roots, but it allows them to grow outwards so that they don't become rootbound.

6. i start in 2 liter soda bottles with the top cut off. you can cut the bottom of it with an exacto knife and slip it up over the plant. make sure it is in the area that you want to plant. dig a hole there and slide the plant , soil and all in it.

7. usually works well to give it a good watering and let the water drain so the dirt is compacted and then just turn it upside down and it'll come right out... plants can take some abuse... just good abuse... like S&M for your plants... but they pull out the whip....

I'm blazeeed.

8. Just support the top of the soil as you turn the pot over into your hand. Depending on the size of the plants, you can gently hold on to the stem while pulling the pot off the rootball.

9. tap the pot on a bannister or the floor, that will dislodge the soil from the pot, and you should be able to pull the root ball out completely intact, or at least nearly