Safe way to kill a large area of poison ivy>

Discussion in 'Gardening' started by bcharley2010, Jun 1, 2011.

1. I have a ton of poison ivy, oak, and sumac along with every weed known to mankind(except our favorite one lol) that i need to remove...for the past 3 years i have wasted alot of money on weed killers, etc. and it doesn't even get the job done.
    so now i heard i can use a shit load of bleach and then salt it..
    i plan to have this area about 75% wood chips, with a few raised beds for flowers and such...
    after i bleached and salted(if it worked) i would get one of those roto tillers to rip up the roots...
    area is about 50' x 30'
    am i in business??

2. if you bleach and salt that land, expect to have to pay to have the entire surface re-soiled, you can ruin land for 100's of years with too much salt.... If you were in good location, i would say burn them, but you need perfect conditions for that, and its risky... but the ash makes for bomb soil hahaha.... Maybe you need to go on the aggressive and get some gloves, long sleeves, and jeans and and rip them from the ground until its a small enough number to control with weed killer of some sort.....

3. ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    THIS.

Just suck it up, wrap yourself up, cut it down, and pull it up.

4. I'd definitely advise against burning poison ivy in the first place, but if you burn it, DO NOT inhale ANY of the smoke. You'll have one hellacious case of poison ivy, in your lungs/throat.

5. yea, burning it would be a task, but if you have the right location and conditions... it would work.... but yea... this is probably going to need to be done manually hahaha

6. burn that shit down .... i wouldnt touch it, cut it, pull it out, wouldnt even come in contact with it. if you could just burn it

7. 41% Glyphosate (roundup)

8. Get some mexicans to do it. I'm not trying to be funny. Idk where your at but im in Cali and we can go get a few of them and they will go in there with machetes and CLEAR it out, I swear they are immune to ivy too, all for 10 dollars an hour each.

9. that wasnt super racist or anything.........

10. Wasnt trying to be racist man sorry if it came across like that

I have a huge respect for mexicans, they work ten times harder then white workers if its any consilation.

11. How in the hell was that racist. Your statement is a ignorant one that you said having the intention that you would look like a better person for correcting someone for being racist. One problem, No one was racist so you what are you talking about. All that was said was that Mexicans are great workers and will do the job cheap and fast. A racist is someone who has a hatred or intolerance of another race. So before you come accusing others of being racist you should actually go read the definition of racist because only an ignorant asshole who is dieing to make someone look like an asshole would call someone racist for saying mexicans are hard workers. So if I say a white person is a hard worker that works for cheap than it belongs on Angies list, but if they are mexican it is racist if i say anything. As well i am racist when i call my black friend my boy but if its my white friend im all good. I am so tired of this cloud of racist energy people carry with them.

12. #13 SIRSOG, Jun 5, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2016
    Lol I think we clarified their intentions weren't racist and I misunderstood them, however calling me an asshole is going to get you no where...... the fact you went this far out of your way to attack me is kinda sad..... ill infract you for the disrespect when I'm back on a computer though, but thanks for the hatred

13. I will add though, assuming every hispanic person in the us is mexican is semi racist lol..... a good quantity of them aren't from mexico, and would not be mexicans..... but I though that user was saying, oh just hire the mexicans, they do anything for cheap, I didn't clearly understand their statement lol

14. I don't think every Hispanic person is mexican. But here in california the workers are all immigrants from Mexico, usually here illegally so they are Mexican

15. #16 SIRSOG, Jun 5, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2016
    Wasn't referring to you haha, you cleared up what you meant I was more referring to the person who claimed I'm racist for not understanding what you said lol. And I'm sure the large quantity of hispanic/latino people I consider very good friends would find it pretty funny someone thinks I'm racist haha, I have a very very open mind....

Edit: lol infact my salvadorian friend who is also transgendered lost my fuckin nug shot camera on Friday...... took a few pics of him and he said he looked to ugly and threw it in a fuckin bush I have yet to go find it in hahahahaha..... bummer for my pick up thread

16. yeah that..

roundup that shit

17. Horticulture Vinegar (> 20% Acetic Acid levels) will take care of any plant. Quickly.

Mix 1:1 with water and spray with impunity.

LD

18. Roundup usually works for about 6 months on this shit! Ive been at war with this one patch for about 4 years, and it always comes back...its even wrapped itself around a 60 ft pine tree all the way to the top...if i wasnt so allergic i would rip it the fuck out.

i think im gonna try that vinegar..

19. Roll around in it, THAT SHIT KILLS.