Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Safe to Smoke out of?

Discussion in 'Apprentice Marijuana Consumption' started by tofurocks, Jan 18, 2011.

1. Got this pipe today in the mail, only $4.50 so I'm not going to stress if it's not safe to smoke out of but I would really like to use it :)
    The bowl is made out of brass I believe, the rest of the pipe is plastic. I was wondering if anybody here thought it might be unsafe to smoke out of because of either the plastic (which I don't think will give off fumes since the flame won't be near it) or the brass (which seems safe from what I have gathered).
    Here are some pictures of the pipe from the site (no point in taking my own).

http://www1.dealextreme.com/productimages/sku_4244_2.jpg
    http://www1.dealextreme.com/productimages/sku_4244_1.jpg

Thanks if you help and please don't answer if you are just guessing :)

2. yeah looks fine. it almost looks like a tobacco pipe. you will be puffin like sherlock holmes hah

3. You need to get a freaking gandalf pipe man.

edit: but yeah, that pipe should be fine. also i'm super high right now.

4. Looks nice. :3

5. Yeah man I'm stoked :p
    Some day I will get one like the one in my avatar but for now this is my $4 alternative :smoke:

Thanks for the responses guys nice to wake up to reassuring news.

6. Well, brass often has lead in it to make it easer to machine. A small concentration. about 2% or so. Since that looks machined, I would be wary.

7. You should never end a sentence in a preposition D: jk I don't care.

It looks fine, as long as the plastic doesn't get heated up.

8. sure, this looks fine, at $4.50 its a bargain. always useful to have extra smokin utensils around.

9. Heh heh, but the title is not a sentence. Nor is it always improper to always end a sentence with a preposition. :p

10. A lot of people use brass screens so I'm thinking it is probably safe. I've been torching the bowl with the blue part of my bic's flame to try to burn out any impurities just in case.

11. i dont see a carb on it but im super high so there might b one but other than that it looks great

12. That's a nifty looking pipe haha. Deal extremes got some cheap shit, my buddy got one of those golden mushroom shaped pipes for me at warped tour for like $11 and they're like $2 on there. :p I may just get another because i forgot the other one when I went on vacation.

13. Well, which ever machine shop that machined the bowl probably stocked free machining brass, which has lead in it. The brass that screens are made from probably doesn't have lead in it, but it could. No one in the supply chain for cheap Chinese pipes or screens really cares about how safe it is for the end user.

A lot of brass keys have been found to have more lead than they should, considering they are handled daily by the people who have the keys.

Also, brass forms a patina that I believe also has some bad for you stuff in it, not to mention it smells and tastes really bad, IMO.

I've come to conclude that titanium is the best metal for pipes to be made of. I machined my current one hitter (main pipe) from pure titanium for a few reasons. It doesn't corrode, it's non toxic, biocompatable, light, looks nice, and hey, I can say my pipe's made of titanium.

14. Very Cool..;) + rep.