Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Safe/Healthy things to use for homemade bongs?

Discussion in 'Apprentice Marijuana Consumption' started by HeywoodJeblohme, Dec 31, 2010.

1. so i know plastic isn't safe to use as a bowl as it melts quickly, but is a hard plastic bong(not bowl) okay? like a body of a flashlight?

and is clay a safe material to make a bowl out of?

2. Using plastic for the body of the bong could work, as long as your downstem doesnt get too hot and melt the plastic releasing smoke... Clay would work fine as long as its not chemically processed, etc. I like makin homemade pieces so i invested in a diamond drill bit that way I can drill glass. Its not too bad on the cost but not always an option for some. I Made a nice bong with a vase, downstep purchased from headshop, and a glass wine corker that i drilled out to make a bowl, hits like a champ :smoking:

3. Plastic container is fine.
    Do not use tin foil unless you have to.
    Use a socket as a bowl.
    I've seen hollow pens as downstems (cut small holes in bottom)
    Use hot glue to keep out leaks.

4. What is the deal with tin/aluminum foil being a no-no?

I would not think a bic lighter could get either hot enough to "vaporize" or anything. I mean you can bake at 550 degrees in an oven with it for hours and it stays foil.

5. is wood fine? i made a wood pipe that my sneak a toke attaches to as a metal bowl

6. yeah someone answer this. it will save every1 time

7. take a chunk of orange peel and put holes in it

8. The vast majority of facts that come up in the smoking community are simply rumors that have been passed around long enough that people consider them to be true. Most people will tell you that when you smoke with aluminum foil that you are absorbing the aluminum in one way or another and that it has been shown to lead to alzheimer's disease.

Above and beyond that as far as I'm aware aluminum does not give off any vapors before it's melting point (660c or 1220f) and I've yet to ever melt any with a lighter. Aluminum foil is also pretty dang pure from what I've ready (around 99.9% pure) which gets rid of the idea of impurities.

I'd love to hear some solid evidence on not smoking out of aluminum as well if anybody has any.

9. But you still have to stay away from smoking out of aluminum cans. Theres all kind of crazy shit in the paint.

10. thanks for the info. I can see avoiding cans because of the paint and many have a plastic inner lining to preserve the taste of the beverage.it just seemed like aluminum foil would actually be about as safe as you could get next to glass due to the reason mentioned above.

11. well there is no proven facts that aluminum lead to alzheimers, i personally use it every once in a while bc if you change it every time it wont be heated past it's melting point, but those 0.1% "other materials" in foil still bother me.

12. #12 HeywoodJeblohme, Jan 1, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2011
    So pen bodies r okay for downstems? I already made the bong last night lol

13. #13 HeywoodJeblohme, Jan 1, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2011
    clay 2.5 pen bodies flashlight tape

Click the images to see them bigger.

Attached Files:

14. That looks just fine to me. You should be fine. What did you coat the bowl with? Or is that just straight up clay?

15. It's straight up clay, am I supposed to coat it with something o)o lol sorry noob here.

16. as long as the clay is fired and it would prollyb better if glazed at a high temp too. either way as long as ur not usin wet clay u should b fine

17. a plastic bong is fine... you can buy those at smoke shops, they're called acrylics

anyway, before i could legally buy paraphernalia, i used to walk into home depot, build my piece there, walk to the counter, drop 10 bucks for materials and walk out. usually they didn't bug me tooo much.

18. #18 HeywoodJeblohme, Jan 2, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 3, 2011
    lol^

and i have no idea what KBP meant,
    It's not wet, its like half hard half still kinda bendy. its baking clay btw.

19. Gatorade Bottle
    Pen that has a metal tube (The thing you hold when you write.)
    And a mechanical pencil end (Get the metal thing on the end where the led comes out. Put that in the metal tube from the pen.)
    And gum around the hole where the tube goes in.

Perfect bong!

Cheerios

20. i have no ideaabout baking clay but clay for pots u need it fired in a kilnfirst u cant just let it dry. i have no ideawhatbaking clay isso i cant say though. try putting a lighter up to it and see if anything funky hsppens