sad things happening in uganda

Discussion in 'General' started by thesimplelife, Dec 16, 2009.

1. alright so this past week i've been reading about this really drastic legislature that uganda is considering to pass. at first i didn't even believe it was true but here it is.

a new law will be passed against gays and bisexuals, that anyone convicted of a homosexual crime will be punished to life in prison, and in some cases executed. if found guilty of having homosexual intercourse, life imprisonment. people who have the HIV/AIDS virus may be executed. any person who knows a person is homosexual and doesn't report it could be imprisoned for 3 (or 7? i read that somewhere else) years, and also landlords who rent to homosexuals for the same amount of time.

i think the worst part about it is that if it's passed, NO ONE is going to get tested for HIV/AIDS. if they test positive they will most likely be executed.

unfortunately, from what i've been reading this is not a new thing in africa. many countries have anti-homosexual laws similar to these. most not as severe as this new bill, but all in all it's nothing new.

it's things like this that make me feel totally helpless. normally if i read something like this, i would write a letter, or if there was an upcoming protest i would attend. but they are going to make the decision by the end of december. i just feel like, what's the point? who cares if a liberal kansas girl opposes. no one.

and then i start thinking, this is just one country. bad shit like this happens everyday and for the most part none of us are able to do anything to stop it. it just makes me so sad, to think if i were gay, and my country that i have lived in my whole life wanted to send me to prison for being who i was. like i can't even imagine how sad and scared the people who are going to be affected by this are feeling right now.

anyway i post these links because i thought they were the best out of what i read, i hope some of you take a look at them :)

Why is Uganda attacking homosexuality? - CNN.com

Death penalty for gays? Uganda debates proposal - Yahoo! News

2. while it is horrible that they are doing that, you must keep in mind the atrocious AIDS epidemic ravaging though Africa. Some African nations are passing 1/3 HIV infection rates :eek::eek::eek:.

SO yes it is horrible, but the government must do something to prevent the outbreak and spread of this horrible disease. I am just playing devils advocate, im not PRO death for gays or AIDS victims.

3. yeah i actually agree with you to some extent, but if they were trying to rid the country of aids i think this would actually make it worse. people are not going to get tested if this passes, because that will mean they will be executed.

now people aren't even going to know if they have the virus or not. and to seek help would point a finger at them that they might be at risk for contracting it, in other words they might be a homosexual.

4. #4 ChokinG.VictiM, Dec 16, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 16, 2009
    lol i agree kill the gays they are so fuckin annoyin

[Statements like this are not wanted here at the city.]

5. Witch hunts, anyone?

6. Should legislation of this nature pass in any state, its possible, and I'd even go as far as to say likely, that it is only a matter of time until the legislative body caves to Western pressure.

It was only a few days ago that another sub-Saharan state declared female circumcision illegal so I wouldn't loose all hope for the African nations.

In my opinion, if this legislation is implemented all foreign aid that does not go directly to social support should be withheld.

I know it is naive of me, but I am actually speechless that this could even be tolerated in any part of the world.

7. The costs to a government of keeping individuals incarcerated for life is enormous. Imagine if the money spent in arresting and detaining all these individuals went to furthering the distribution of contraceptives, HIV/AIDS awareness, and health in general in Uganda. Not to mention the fact that all organizations that already promote HIV/AIDS awareness will be banned.

This is in no way a measure to curb the AIDS outbreak in the country, its nothing but a demented belief that homosexuality is a sin and in this case it is taken beyond the extreme.

8. #8 AbluntAday, Dec 16, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 16, 2009
    i fuckin wish that was legislative here....in ontario its legal for those fuckin cocksuckers to get married

Behavior like this is not welcome on GC, dude. -JD