S&P photo thread

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by the roach, Jul 26, 2007.

1. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'll be gone for a week, so play nice GC. :wave:

2. For the greatest sacrifice our world has seen...

[​IMG]

3. thats an amazing pic rasta. ive never seen that before.

4. Thanks, Ch3velle.

I've always had a profound respect for all the men and women involved in that horrific battle. It's something I really try and understand as somebody who can live a life of peace and freedom thanks to the sacrifice made.

That photo has always really given me a little bit of awe-struck. It really imparts a sense of the enormous scale of what those men faced as a duty.

5. Call me stupid if you must but Rasta what battle is that pic from.

6. The photograph is from the Invasion of Normandy, aka D-Day, aka Operation Overlord

It occurred on June 6th, 1944, it was the largest seaborne invasion in history, involving over 3 million troops across Europe.

It was the foothold for the entire western front in WWII, fought by Americans, British, Canadians, French, Polish, Belgium, Czech Republic, Greece, Netherlands and Norway. It stopped the tide of Nazi antagonism for Europe and the rest of the world.

It is what allowed a free and democratic superpower in the second half of the 20th century.

Specifically, the picture is taken on what was designated Omaha Beach and shows the men of Company E, 16th Infantry, 1st Infantry Division of the United States Army.

I would also like to add this picture, while on topic, to honor the men of the Canadian Forces, landing on Juno Beach, just down the line from Ohama Beach.

[​IMG]

7. Heres some pictures I took with my camera. I enjoy trying to capture the beautiful things in life that most people take for granted. Blue skies, sunshine, thunderstorms, the moon, clouds...stuff like that. Earth has a lot of beautiful things to offer if you just stop for a minute and take a look.

The last picture is my favorite. It seems like a simple picture to most, but everytime I see it I think it captures something beautiful..

Enjoy..:D

Attached Files:

8. Cheeba i like yours.

The airplane one a few back and the sailor kissing you just posted are my fav's in this thread

9. Thanks stneod.

10. love, suffering, pain, hope, passion, grief....
    im diggin it.

11. World's first nuclear test (Trinity):

[​IMG]</a><br/>

12. i didnt catch any fish camping so i didnt get to take mine.

13. This thread is awesome!

Some excellent pictures!