S&P downgrades U.S. credit rating for first time in history

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Limecat, Aug 6, 2011.

1. So your reasoning for going to college is for fostering intellectual growth?

If so, you can save a lot of money doing it yourself.

2. they have submarines which they can use to launch nukes at us short range. As for ICBM's, im sure they have the capability to do that...

wouldnt be the smartest thing since theyd be nuked off the map. and it would take a few hundred years for the earth to heal itself back up.

3. Yeah but just think about all those job openings!

4. Parents are paying for it. So I'm taking advantage of such a generous act on their behalf. Also, I can not talk to professors who have published books and other impressive feats without being at an academic institution, now can I?

5. He's probably getting more and more furious... :p

Like: "you stupid fucks, I've been saying this for the past 9 years!"

And the "mainstream" people laughed at him.

Lookup on YouTube: Peter Schiff was right and Peter Schiff mortgage bankers.

6. As a Canadian I am watching the US financial situation with a great deal of trepidation. If the US economy goes down the whole western world is in deep economic trouble. Canada survived the last recession virtually unscathed only because our banks have the quaint idea that they should only loan money to people who can pay it back. American banks loaned money to people who they knew had no hope of paying it back and then sold the loans to suckers. Is this not fraud?
    I remember when the main difference between the GOP and the Democrats was that one was in power and the other was out. With the advent of the ultra-right wing nutcases in the GOP it is a party that seems ready to destroy the country for political power. If I were a terrorist leader I would suggest pouring money into the coffers of Tea Party candidates as they are by far a greater danger to your country than bin Laden ever was.
    I was totally amazed at the goings on at the anti-medicare rallies last year. Many of those opposed looked like they could not afford medicare themselves. They obviously could not afford dental care or gym memberships. Oh well, just put it down to the fact that Americans are easily brain-washed.
    And those that fear attack from China, relax. The Chinese are not going to attack your country, they are going to buy it.

7. I know right. I mean, one of the groups I smoke with we occasionally talk about this shit. And I start going off on our country, barely even scraping the top of the shithole we're in, and some of my buds are like "Woah man, you hate our government."

Well no shit, open your damn eyes people. I don't wanna scare people away, so I just wrap it up with some Ron Paul shit, and just try to get a few more votes for him.

I swear, it's like a fucking uphill battle just trying to get people to CARE. We're fucking circling the drain, and I get weird looks for just trying to bring some of this shit up. I don't know what's worse. Apathetic people, or people who try to stay up with politics, but get all their opinions spoonfed to them by the boob tube.

8. ..............................so.........we're in a shocking amount of debt..........and so we're making a slight decrease in the amount which we will add to our debt..............and that's supposed to solve things???

My god...I could either get furious about how stupid our government is...or I can laugh, because clearly the system is gonna break down, and there's gonna be huge, REAL change, despite the fact that noone can even conceive of real change. I'll go with the laughing, both at the stupidity of our government, and the fact that it's all tumbling down before our eyes. Everyone else is fighting to keep it going, while I'm welcoming a complete change in the system. Will be great, once the system breaks down and the people are actually free.

9. Why?.

10. Guy in yellow shirt = America.
    Guy in brown tan shirt = Osama bin Laden.
    [​IMG]

11. China, the largest foreign holder of US government debt, made clear that Washington only had itself to blame and called for a new stable global reserve currency.

"The US government has to come to terms with the painful fact that the good old days when it could just borrow its way out of messes of its own making are finally gone," China's official Xinhua news agency said in a commentary.

gulfnews : China calls for stable global reserve currency

12. The S&P as ZERO credibility. Couldn't even predict the housing bubble.

13. I thought Osama bin Laden was dead

14. Neither could the US Government :confused_2:

15. #115 SaulSilver1, Aug 8, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2011
    They aren't the same thing. And of course the United States isn't going to say the housing market is going to go to shit. The US Government isn't exactly objective agency when dealing with it's own credit rating.

The S&P is an organization that fraught with conflicts of interest, where debt issuers game the system to get the highest ratings. Even in coming to its conclusion about the U.S. credit worthiness it appears S&P's team of crack analysts made a minor $2 trillion error in calculating how much debt the U.S. would accumulate in the next 10 years (they said $22 trillion, but best guesses are $20 trillion).

the S&P specifically cited the lack of tax increases and cuts to entitlement programs in the debt ceiling deal as the reason they were lowering the U.S.'s rating. Worse, S&P said the U.S. is likely to face a further ratings downgrade if the government continues to extend the Bush tax cuts for the wealthiest Americas.

16. S&P and Moody's are awful but in reality the US credit rating should be a lot lower than it is, S&P is being more than fair with AA+.

The President told the world that unless the debt ceiling was raised we will default. That is saying - hey, unless you loan us even more money, we can't and won't pay you what we already owe. Do you think that would work for any of us on a smaller scale, with our local bank?

Now, that's a total lie because there is enough revenue to pay everything "important" but he'd have to cut a lot of fat, especially in regards to our overseas militarism...but he won't.

Oh well...get out of the dollar FAST is what I'd recommend (if you haven't already). Gold is up $46/ounce, $1,695/ounce currently! It's more than doubled since 2008 when $800/ounce was "outrageous".

FWIW, you can't claim S&P has zero credibility and then latch on to their claim that we need higher taxes as if it is true. It's funny that people keep saying "Bush" tax cuts even though I believe if you check who signed the bill you'd find Mr. Obama's signature. No way they should have raised the debt ceiling in the first place. There are no cuts and there are no tax increases and there probably won't be.

17. #117 SaulSilver1, Aug 8, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2011
    Show me were I latched on? You're getting ahead of yourself.

And they were the BUSH tax cuts originally sure Obama extended them but that's because he's dealing with an incompetent congress, because tea party members got unqualified individuals elected. That and Obama is a horrible negotiator and ever since blacky mc black man was elected republicans are unwilling to compromise on nearly everything.

And tell me why increasing taxes on the most wealthy Americans is bad thing?

18. Post #112. - S&P = zero credibility.

Yes, that is true.

But wait! Post #115, S&P is saying something I like, so that must be true. No, actually they have zero credibility...

Incompetent Congress? LOL In my opinion I'd have to say that was the 110th and 111th House of Representatives which watched over a $5.2 TRILLION increase to our National Debt, no cuts to anything, expansion of quite a few high dollar expenditures, and rarely even passed a budget. No Tea Party members though, just the "leadership" of Speaker Pelosi under two of the worst Presidents in our History: George W. Bush and Barack Obama.

I sent you a lengthy PM response which should cover your last question.

19. I was citing why they downgraded the US there buddy