RZA Inks $20 Million Deal with Universal for Kung-Fu Spectacular

Discussion in 'Movies' started by junkyarddog, May 14, 2010.

1. It’s unclear whether it’s going to be called The Man with the Iron Fist or Fists (we’re going with Fist), but one thing’s for damn sure, RZA just got himself a big budget for his feature film debut.

According to Deadline, the prominent Wu-Tang Clan member is getting $20 million from Universal Pictures to produce the martial arts film.

The movie will be done in partnership with Eli Roth (Hostel), who will take production duties, as well as the mentorship of the one and only Quentin Tarantino (Inglourious Basterds, Kill Bill), who RZA often cites as one of his biggest influences in film.

Filming will start in September in Hong Kong, where RZA has spent a lot of time researching the various martial arts that will be featured in the movie. RZA will play the titular character, a blacksmith who makes swords for villagers in feudal China. The self-professed kung-fu expert will also provide music for his film’s soundtrack.

“RZA has imagined every tribe, every fighting style, every costume,” Roth told Deadline. “He knows kung-fu like I know horror.”

As we previously told you, RZA has been working on the project for the past couple of years and has been given a ringing endorsement by both Roth and Tarantino.

“I know he’s going to make a brilliant film,” Roth told the L.A. Times back in January.

And after the low-budget majesty of Wu-Tang vs. the Golden Phoenix, a previous film endeavour by RZA, it should be very interesting to see what he can do with a cool $20 million.

Source

2. Floppy ass titties yes. Not a huge fan of Roth, but I love RZA and Tarantino. I just hope RZA's writing/directing potential matches his musical ability.

But RZA + Tarantino + old school kung fu movie premise = me excited.

3. a blacksmith who makes swords for villagers in feudal China that sounds kickass. i love feudal and that kind of atmosphere. fucking love it.

Yeah man, and itd be nice to see a high-budget kung fu movie. would be great to see tony jaa again though, the protector was insane. and that movie had an 8 million budget

4. yea this seems sick as fuck a i cant wait to find out more about this shit

5. Ohmyfuaiacuinacuoacao

6. :eek::hello::D My life will be complete with this film.

Unless it sucks.

Too bad Tarantino isn't working on this :(

7. Holy flying dagger shit, Batman!

8. he's mentoring rza in the process, so how isnt he working on it? he'll obviously influence rza's decisions unless something was said to the contrary somewhere else..

9. Agreed, but no worries man, kung fu's not a genre that needs a lot of loot to be awesome.

These are clips from kick-ass Jet Li movies, and I assume none of'em had that much money for production -

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=17XTYc3rqks"]YouTube - Hitman - Final Fight - Jet Li[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPkW0hozQa8"]YouTube - Jet Li - The Enforcer End Fight Part 1 of 2[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oqAnBoOFIjQ"]YouTube - Fist of Legend - Jet Li (Chen Zhen) Dojo Fight HQ[/ame]

10. i cant wait to see the final product, a kung fu movie with a 20mil budget with RZA beats, sounds sexy :smoking: