Rusty leaves help!!!

Discussion in 'Sick Plants and Problems' started by Ishus Maximus, Nov 23, 2011.

1. Good idea...Done!

2. I love the sound of this approach! A few questions - I have some Pro-mix on hand as well as the Ocean Forrest. Do you suggest I use the soil w/o nutes (Pro-mix) instead of the OF when I do the transplant? My gut tells me to go that route.

How much lime should I put in? I assume it's possible to overdose on the stuff.

Regarding when it's time for the FloraMicro, should I combine it with the GrowBig as well? Again, my gut's telling me to just use the micronutes.

Now to find some lime. I actually asked for that at the growshop too. They didn't have any of that either LOL.

3. Cheers, I'm gonna hit that up in the morning.

4. You really only need a tablespoon per gallon of soil mix if it's mixed in before the plant goes into it. Takes a good deal more to fix crappy already soured soil. Just mix that into half OF and half pro-mix and you will have a decent lighter weigh soil to transplant into.

5. And the micronutes? Should I just replace the growbig with them for the rest of the grow or no?

6. The micronutrients that you bought are a third of a trio package of nutes that require all three be used in measured amounts thru the grow. I use mine, Dr Earth micronutrients, once in veg and once in flower, but I met my NPK demands using a different substance adn it's not that GH grow-micro-bloom. For now, maybe just transplant and water it... just ph'ed water. Then look into that trio pack that you bough some of, I think you need the missing two bottles. The transplant should fix it for a while.

7. This has been really helpful. Ish, my plant had almost the exact problem as yours except actually mine does have purple stems. Since the other day when I posted my leaves have stopped getting worse. For me I'd say it was definately P.

8. Yeah WhatitBe...I've been reading that Boron Def is a result of P Def, which in my case is a result of bad PH. One thing leading to another. In my past grows when I was a teengager (being almost a decade ago), I was spoiled and never had to deal with adjusting water, deficiencies, or sick plants becuase I had great water right from the tap. My mind is blown as to how my soil ended up like this. I deffinetly screwed up somewhere. At least I know what to avoid next time, and that's cool this thread is helping someone else. That was partially my intent with documenting this whole mess. Props and +rep to SeanDog and SkunkP for their insight, even if they did do some flip-floping! Seriously though, much appreciated guys.

So yesterday I went about making the changes. Ground up some dolomite lime, mixed 4 table spoons with half OF and half pro-mix ala SkunkP's recomendation. Also added some perlite and stuck into 5 gallon pots. Put a small layer of lime over the top in hopes to help fix the current soil. Watered the new soil with 6.6 PH tap. At least I think I did. Beginning to think I'm color blind. Can't wait for my automatic meter to get here.

Attached Files:

9. You sound smarter than the average bear, you nailed it, it's all about the soil. You should stop by the Organic section of GC and read up on soil ammending, soil composition and building microherd and fungal strands in an attempt to recreate nature...it takes all the guess work out of it, because plants don't get 'deficient', don't have ph problems, and I don't have to find 'nutes' that don't burn up my plants...I like to help people so I hang out here, but since I switched to fully functioning soil, I actually never have any of these problems anymore. Go take a look, I dare you.

10. I agree completely with the plant diva! I grow in a very similar fashion, and again i no longer have any problems. No def probs, no pH problems. Everything seemingly works seemlessly.

A lot of people dont like to read so much, or just plain and simply dont care. But if you plan on doing more than one grow, organic is the way to go!

11. I had a look at the forum, man that place is overwhelming but deffinetly intriguing. I'll have to spend some time with those stickies when I get a chance. Thanks guys!!

12. Right on man! No where else have i realized so quickly how true the statement, "knowledge is power" is until i started growing this one particular plant. good luck buddy and if any other questions arise I'll be willing to put in my thoughts, and I'm sure the plant diva wouldn't mind helping either.