Rusty leaves help!!!

Discussion in 'Sick Plants and Problems' started by Ishus Maximus, Nov 23, 2011.

1. #1 Ishus Maximus, Nov 23, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 23, 2011
    I woke up this morning and there is a rusty sheen on the oldest set of leaves. It's only on one of my plants at the moment but it happened quick! I looked at some other pics and it looks like it may be a calcium defficiency??? Please help me nip this before it spreads!

What type of medium; soil or hydro?
    soil

What brand and type of soil?
    FF Ocean Forrest

Indoors or outdoors?
    In

What strain?
    Feminized Blueberry from DP

How old are the plants?
    26 days

What type of lights and how many watts?
    250 watt MH and 112 watts of CFLs

How far from the lights?
    1 foot

What is your watering frequency and source of water?
    PH adjusted tap water to 6.6. Watered last night for the first time in 4 days since transplanting.

What, how much and when was it fed? NPK?
    Gave 2 teaspoons of FF Big Grow last night.

What is the medium/runoff pH and PPM if in hydro?

What are the temps and humidity in the room?
    74.5F, 48%

What size pots?
    Not quite sure, 1.5 gallons or so.

Any bugs? Look real close.
    No

Attached Files:

2. Any Input PLEASE it's spreading rapidly.

3. Those are battle scars on the oldest leaves on the plant and the new growth is perfect, your plant is fine. The oldest fan leaves will continue to change over time, and eventually drop off in favor of it's new growth...stop worrying. Cute dog!!!

4. SkunkP thank you for the response bro, you put me at ease. When I used to grow, I remember old growth turning yellow and falling off, and only on much older plants. This girl's only 26 days old. It looks like a defficiency to me. Maybe its just a genetic thing.

5. This is happening to mine also except worse. I transplanted it to coco with added blood and lots of bone meal and some epsom salts but it seems to be getting worse. Its still only affecting the oldest leaves though. The rest of my plant looks super healthy and growing fast. Just worried me because its not very old either.

6. If it gets worse, you will be allowed to call it a Phosporous def, but not for another 2 weeks and not until you get some purple stems with it :D

Repost if the this happens.

7. I'll do that. Thanks again!!!

8. No offense to anyone and their opinions. This is mine... :)

Those markings can seem very weird everytime i see them. They are usually one of three things, light burn / heat (too close to light), phos def, or calcium def. And again no offense to anyone but im leaning toward a pH problem / calcium def.

If it were me i'd go ahead and check the pH of the soil (not the pH of the water or the runoff but the actual soil). And correct with lime (its basically calcium that buffers your soil's pH).

I could be wrong, but im pretty sure that'll help. Or you could just go ahead and leave it. Either way good luck buddy. And happy thanksgiving to all.

9. #9 Ishus Maximus, Nov 25, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 25, 2011
    Hey thanks for the input Seandawg. I think you're right that this plant is most likely sick. And yes, no disrespect to SkunkP and her lax'd perspective. (PS. sorry I called you bro before SkunkP, I read some more of your posts and then realized you're a female)

It's been a day and a half since I saw the start of this, and I'm already seeing signs on the next set of fan leaves. The first leaves have now begun to crinkle and get really dry. I've also noticed today that those particular fan leaves have some purple streaks in the stems, but that could just be a characteristic of the Blueberry comming out. The second plant has still yet to be affected...weird.

I don't own a soil PH meter right now. Terrific timing with it being Thanksgiving I can't just run out and buy one. Anyone know of any hydro shop Black Friday Sales going on haha....but seriously.

Regarding PH, something occured to me. I haven't been testing the water after the nutes, only before. I've been using PH drops to both test and adjust, but with the Grow Big added the water becomes a green tinge, making it impossible to get an accurate reading off the color chart with nutes added. Perhaps this is the source of the problem. As soon as the store is open I'm going to run out and buy an automatic water and soil meter, I'll post the results. Thanks again to everyone who's responded and happy Thanksgiving.

Attached Files:

10. Never offense. I'm sure as shit not right all the time.

Hmmm...Heat stress usually causes leaves to extend overhead tho like a kid holding a newspaper over his head to keep the sun off of him, and light burn is usually on the top of the plant not the bottom leaves, and calcium is most used in mid flower and looks like pinpoint dots, not P blotches...

You see purple stems with the blotches? P def is possible, your soil may not have built up enough fungal stands to move the pottasium around.

I'd lean P def/ ph uptake prob/no fungal strands prob.

Wish I could reach thru the monitor and get a better look...so limiting.

11. 100% :p

I wish! Not the hydro shop tho, I want my sale to be at the Nursery and the Co-op. I need another bag of segull shite and sul-po-mag.

12. Very right! Cal is usually little spots like that. And if you say you see purple stems the the award goes to the skunk! Great diagnosis skunk!

And im sorry im more than confident with my initial assumption. I was incorrect. Either way, checking your soil's pH is critical. Before you can make any def corrections your pH needs to be right to do any of that. Great work skunk! (btw, never knew u were female before lol)

13. New pics to compare with those taken 8 hours ago. You can make out a purple stem on the petiole. This is pretty rapid.

Attached Files:

14. Any thoughts on this being a Boron Definiency? I found these pics. Looks pretty damn similar to me!

Attached Files:

15. Bingo!

Hahahah. Get some micronutrints and mix them into your water, will take care of it. I bought a good one called Dr Earth Micronutrients and it's listed as organic, which means it's probably somewhat close to organic, but safer than most.

16. I know...I get a lot of 'Bro-ing' and 'Dude-ing', and man, mang, sir, buddy, that guy...
    :D

I'm a plant Diva.

17. "Plant Diva" I dig it! You should put that in your sig or even your resume and job title! Shyt how about your lisence plate? Lol from now on you are now known as the plant diva to me lol

18. Right then. I took a trip to the shop today. They had no more electronic PH meters. I asked the manager about soil meters and they had one style available. He basically told me it's a $13 piece of shit and offered me it for free. Yay? I don't even know why I took it cause I dont plan on using it.

Got home and flushed the plant with 2 gallons of 6.4 PH adjusted tap. Tested the run off via drops and it read the lowest possible reading, pure yellow on the color chart, 6.0 or lower...WHOA!! I have no idea how that even happened. So there in lies the problem. I'm wondering if it would be a good idea to flush again with 7.0 PH just to try and buffer the soil a bit but I don't want to overwater...

There was no Doctor Earth at the shop. Again, only one selection of Micro-nutes available called FloraMicro. Fucking hell this place sux. If I need something other then dirt I will be from now on making the hour and half trip to another store that advertises them selves as the biggest store in the North East instead of the 20 min ride to this place. I bought the bottle...but I'm really apprehensive about using it. Thoughts?

Some updated pics, 12 hours since the last set. And the Micro-nutes.

Attached Files:

19. Flora Micro (NPK: 5-0-1) is the foundation of the "Building-Block" nutrient system. Flora Micro provides the nitrogen, potassium, calcium and trace elements necessary for superior plant health. Use the Flora Micro Hardwater version if your tap water is over 200 ppm (or contains Calcium above 70 ppm). If your water contains 30 to 50 ppm Calcium, you can mix the standard Flora Micro with Flora Micro Hardwater to create a perfect Micro blend for your plants.

Sounds good but not really what you need right now. At least i was kinda right about something, your pH is outta wack. Bad news about ur pH meter is that its not so great, good news is you didnt spend anything on it. Im sure there should be a decent one available at home depot. May not be the best but good enough for now. Get that and some lime. Everybody uses dolomite lime; i use aglime. It was just what was available to me. Make sure its powdered form. If its pellet form crush it. And fix ur shyt. Good luck.

20. Wow, sour soil. If you powder the lime it works more rapidly, I hammer in on concrete till it's powder...on the garage floor, and my hubby just loves it :eek:
    The micros are good, but like mentioned, they really only work when the ph of the soil isn't that low. I'd transplant, new soil with lime mixed in, the stuff you are in needs amending but better soil around the roots would help too. Add the micros when you water it next....