Rusty Concrete Reinforcing Mesh - Safe??

Discussion in 'Gardening' started by Dro Smoe, May 15, 2014.

1. #1 Dro Smoe, May 15, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: May 15, 2014
    Hey guys and gals,
    Stupid question perhaps: I'm in the middle of deciding how to support the tomato crop this year
    (24 heirloom's total) and was initially going to build cages out of livestock panels
    ( organicgardening.com/organicgardening/#!/entry/supersturdy-tomato-cage,5335a20b025312186cebe020 ) but they're just too expensive. I'm looking at $24 per panel and I'd need about 12.. Not trying to spend another $300 bucks.. I've come across diy's with the concrete wire but all that Lowe's carries is non-galvanized that's already loaded with rust.. I'm curious if the rust would be detrimental to the plants as well as the bennies/mycorrhizae  - in terms of added iron/toxicity etc... Any thoughts? Thanks in advance!

dro

2. bad idea
    do not use rusty stuff that will be in contact with your plants or growing media.

3. No huh? It's crazy how opinions differ online ... I must have come across a dozen sites with people saying they've used rusted cages for years with no problem.. Of course my school of thought is more in line with yours ... It just doesn't seem like a great idea to me..  

4. #4 organicpandemic, Jun 15, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 15, 2014
    perfectly fine  ;) the only hazard is tetanus if you injure yourself!

BUT it aint gonna last 2/5ths of fuckall in the weather. better off with bamboo if you cant get galv

5. I use the concrete mesh for cages and it is rusty, but has lasted for forty years and has many years left for future use. Longevity is not a problem.  The rust will not hurt the plants.

PW

6. Get welded wire fencing and cut it to the size you need. It's made in different size and comes in 50 ft rolls. No need to mess with rusted metal. It's to easy to cut yourself and get tetnis. It cost about $50 a roll at the hardware store.

7.  I have been using the concrete wire cages for years!! No problems. Hell some guy's add a nail in the hole when they plant for iron!! If you grow good tomatoes that are indeterminate they will grow over the top of a 7ft tall cage. Make sure you place a T post or pipe in the ground to secure the cage or it will get top heavy and the winds of fall will blow it over and bend it out of shape.  I make smaller ones to support the pepper plants.I also use the concrete wire mesh panels that come in 20 ft. by 7 ft. sheets. They are much thicker and ridgid . I cut them in half and secure each end to a T post and grow pole beans and cucumbers on them. When the winter gets here I take all the cages and stack them on top of my  dog kennels out of the way. The 10ft. x 7ft. panels used for the pole beans make excellent cover for your medicine and helps to keep any prying eyes out of your garden. These are 100% better than the junk cages they sell at the store!! These will last for years. PJ

8. Rust or iron oxide is essential for good health for plants and humans, ask any woman over 35 years....lol

avoid getting it in cuts and nics, but if that bad you way wire brush it and spray paint it, but the rust is kinda rustic...?

9. Thanks for all the advice guys.. I went another route and decided to make them out of cattle panels .. Galvanized, Much sturdier and I won't get covered in rust every day when I'm training, pruning, feeding etc.. lol .. They were workkkk to fabricate I won't lie, but definitely worth it.. Only drawback is that they aren't stackable..

Attached Files:

10. #10 organicpandemic, Jul 11, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 11, 2014
    seriously? im sure a couple of bits of wood in the corners to brace and it would be fine. as the plants get stronger they will hold their own weight 

11. No, I was referring to stacking (inside one another) for winter storage.. For growth they are sturdy as helllll.. Lol

12. #12 Kronicly Insane, Jul 12, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 12, 2014
  13. if the wire can be fashioned to hold open the bag! or kiddie pool ...................whilst filling with soil, now thats handy....!