Russo-American war

Discussion in 'Politics' started by windchime159, Nov 11, 2011.

1. #1 windchime159, Nov 11, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 11, 2011
    What would that be like? how would it play out? would we fight on us soil or Russian?

Do you think america could do what he Swedish Empire, Napoleon, and Hitler all failed miserably at and invade Muscovy? [because of the winter....]

:edit: No nukes, Conventional warfare.

2. Mutually assured destruction.

Both still have more then enough nukes to do the job.

3. I knew this would come up right away...

4. It would divide the world in half. I'm sure Europe isn't going to pick sides and China will easily help out the Soviets imo. America ftl.

5. If it happens you can bet your ass i move to switzerland. Not in a state of war since I believe 1812

6. It would look like limited skirmishes in between lesser proxies, never escalating to full blown warfare between the two states.

Defense contractors that own the Government on both sides would get rich.

Pretty much the last 60 years.

Seriously. To speculate what it would look like is ridiculous because the two powers would never go to hot war with each other, when both sides are too cozy in the paradigm they have now - which doesn't look much different from what it was prior to Perestroika.

7. Lol did you make this thread because Call of Duty Modern Warfare 3 came out?

If you are really interested here are to MUST READS:
    Red Storm Rising- Tom Clancy
    Arc Light- Eric l Harry

They are both novels but their authors know what they are talking about so you learn a lot too.

8. Thank you

9. Did you guys know that in the 1970s the United States sent experts and billions of dollars to Afghanistan to jointly build two of the world most expensive highways across the Afghan mountains?

The very same highways contained the worlds sturdiest bridges and the Soviet Union used them to invade Afghanistan. Of course Jimmy Carter and the US government seemed all surprised when they did. :rolleyes:

You'll have to go google it.

The truth is stranger than fiction.

10. Now that is fascinating! I didn't know... Although I don't think Jimmy Carter knew about it because I don't think President's are really in charge of the Military Industrial Complex.

11. Yeah, I'm not sure Carter knew what day it was half the time.

AFGHANISTAN'S HIGHWAYS 1960-1967

12. Russia warns against Israeli air strike on Iran - Telegraph

Russian military chief: War risks have grown - Yahoo! News

13. From cracked.

Nuclear war... Doomsday... WWIII... forget about everything Stanley Kubrick, James Cameron or (God forbid) Alan Moore ever mused on the subject. Fact is stranger than fiction, and the truth is we came closer to nuclear annihilation than even the most taut Cold War thriller would let on. More than once.
    For instance, you probably know that during the Cuban Missile Crisis, the U.S. and USSR came closer to nuclear war than ever before. But you probably don't know that if it weren't for one man, we would all be wandering around a charred, radioactive wasteland today. And that guy wasn't JFK.
    It's 1962, communist Cuba had gone nuclear, John F. Kennedy had the entire island under quarantine, Nikita Khrushchev was not intimidated by the young president and Kevin Costner's reputation as a legitimate actor was on the line.

In the center of this hot-zone was the nuclear-armed Soviet Foxtrot class submarine B-59, which on October 27, 1962 decided whether you personally would be alive right now. While surrounded by a group of 11 U.S. destroyers and the aircraft carrier USS Randolph, the submarine was eventually subjected to a barrage of depth charges.
    Taking this as the opening shots of WWIII (which they kind of were), Captain Valentin Grigorievitch Savitsky ordered the B-59's nuclear-tipped missile be launched in retaliation to the U.S. surface ships. Had this been the case, it is likely that the U.S., USSR, Cuba and most of Europe would have had a full shooting-war on their hands, cowboy hats and all.

Picture this happening about 30,000 times, and all at once.
    That is, if not for a guy named Vasili Arkhipov.
    According to Director of the National Security Archive Thomas Blanton and former Secretary of Defense Robert McNamara, a guy called Vasili Arkhipov "saved the world". The thing is, to launch a nuke, the top three Soviets on the B-59 needed a unanimous vote. Captain Savitsky and Political Officer Ivan Semonovich Maslennikov were all for it, but Arkhipov, a mere second-in-command, was not all that wild about wiping out human civilization.
    The three got into an argument, and Arkhipov eventually persuaded the political officer that nuking the U.S. Navy was a bad idea, and that they should resurface instead (even if it meant, you know, death). Captain Savitsky was not happy with this, but since he did not have the votes to go nuclear, the submarine surfaced, and the crisis was averted. So yeah, find out where Vasili Arkhipov is buried right now, and send him a fruit basket large enough to be seen from freaking space. He may have been a communist, but you owe him your damned life.

Of course, after that terrifyingly close call the U.S. and Soviets realized we were all walking a tightrope above a pool of lava, and that we should make peace with one other before tripping into Armageddon. Ha! Nope: We kept the Cold War going for decades afterward and in fact came just as close to annihilation again thanks to a false alarm in the 1980s (the Soviets had false radar signals showing the U.S. had launched on them.) Yet another Soviet officer, Stanislav Petrov, would risk everything by standing down.
    Man, the Soviets sure saved our asses a lot during our war against the...Soviets.

14. ^ I heard about Vasili.
    Me coming from a Russian-American family, being raised bilingual in Russian and American, and experiencing the culture first hand since I was little kid, I really do not hope this happens. If it is, this spells the end for the world. Russia's Government is corrupted as hell, and its as broad as daylight. Putin is crazy as shit, and the US government is unpredictable. It's basically like Hitler vs Hitler

15. More:

Russia stands by Assad as pressure mounts on Syria | Reuters

China-Russia relations and the United States: At a turning point? | Opinions | RIA Novosti

Afghanistan would side with Pakistan in war with US, says Hamid Karzai | World news | guardian.co.uk

Pakistan and China hold joint military exercises, celebrate relationship - The Washington Post

China, Russia Resist Iran Sanctions - WSJ.com

China: Iran's New Best Friend | Fox News

16. #16 [0[eagjo, Nov 18, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2011
    Everybody at grasscity should just chip in and buy an island in the middle of the pacific. The owner can be our king. The admins can be our government and the mods will be the police officers; we can just be a farming community and smoke weed all day and be safe from war.

http://www.privateislandsonline.com/Ilha-do-Duda.htm

17. I think it would be mainly naval and it would take place in the Atlantic and there might be a Korean War flare-up.

18. Speaking as a Brit who lived in America for a couple of years...

We've been very close allies for the past 30 or 40 years. I can imagine if Russia declared war on America then the United Kingdom would be forced to join in. If the United Kingdom joined teh fray then so would some of the more powerful Common Wealth nations would join in. Take Canada and Australia for example.

If the United Kingdom joins in there is a chance the European Union may get involved. European politics are quite complicated right now though so it's hard to say.

Assuming no 'super weapons' are being used then it would probably be a war that would drag out for well over a decade.

The Russians would possibly be joined by the Chinese. This would present a problem for the sheer numbers of the Chinese.

I'll be following this thread. Interesting :)

19. #19 Suck My Mind, Nov 18, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 18, 2011
    The OP Needs to stop playing Call Of Duty Modern Warfare 3 because that's fantasy. Russia is the least of American problems. What I would be more concerned about is the south American Cartel wars, or a central American immigration civil uprising in this country. Which has already begun Santa Cruz riots

20. Medvedev: Russia may target missile defense sites - Yahoo! News