Russia to build nuclear plants in Arctic Circle

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Hashishi, Oct 1, 2010.

1. DRIVING MOTORCYCLES!

[​IMG]

2. Still seem like a good idea???:D:smoke:

3. Hey look, you're being arrogant and patronizing again, color me surprised. :rolleyes:

However, I see nothing wrong with establishing nuclear power plants, enviro-fascist hysteria over nuclear power plants has been thoroughly debunked, so logically, the only reason to cry foul is over the planned natural gas and oil fields.

You seem to be under the assumption that if and when we derive 100% of our power and have renewable vehicles, that we will no longer have a need for oil. Unfortunately, that is simply not the case. Petrol-based products are numbered in the hundreds, and more likely the thousands. In the future green utopia, there will still be plenty demand for oil, and despite what the alarmists are saying, peak oil has been debunked. Despite all the kicking and screaming your type do, we will still be extracting and processing oil.

This is of course assuming that the alarmists are right, and as history has shown, climate alarmists are typically wrong. In fact, most people who claim the sky is falling are typically wrong. There's literally hundreds of examples of doomsday scenarios that never play out, ever.

4. I'd rather see new nuclear power plants being built to replace oil, not to harvest more of it.

5. I can't disagree with that, but still... there will always be a demand for oil, no matter how hard Al Gore kicks and screams.

6. There will always be demand indeed. That doesn't mean that there will always be supply to provide for the demand. The nature of fossil fuels really.

But tbh I support nuclear power stations until we can come up with a better solution.

7. Peak oil has been debunked.

8. How? Can't you do it yourself?

No, seriously though, how? That was not my intention at all. Given that I've read your opinions on AGW I'm genuinely not in the least surprised you aren't outraged.

I wasn't being condescending and in no way meant to patronise you. Just as in your ecofascist thread you seem to have detected some malevolence that I in no way intended nor can discern. Help me out here. :confused:

Absolutely. It's not a practical concern, it's just that the bare notion of speculatively building nuclear power plants to lay down the infrastucture to drill for more oil in the midst of a climate crisis strikes me as fuckery.

You old tease, you. :smoke:

9. “Scientists have solid experimental and theoretical evidence to support…the following predictions: In a decade, urban dwellers will have to wear gas masks to survive air pollution…by 1985 air pollution will have reduced the amount of sunlight reaching earth by one half….” - TIME magazine 1970
    :laughing: :hello:

10. whats so wrong with nuclear energy? its one of the cleanest non-green power sources available, it does produce nuclear waste...so do all of our weapons.

and it has killed far less than oil and coal plants have.

a study was done in 2000 to see if cherynobl had any long term effects amongst the population of pripyat...and after that study the entire death toll of the incident was 57.

as well, with the ever advancing studies in fusion nuclear power, we are on the way to creating sustainable fusion reactions, which could become a reality within the next 20 years.

I dont understand why Russia is building nuclear power plants to find oil...why not just build nuclear power plants to power..I dunno their country?

and if you didnt know 85% of France's power, is nuclear...and I havent seen any studies about the rise in cancer rates amongst the french.

11. Good that they are building nuclear plants I guess...I wish they would use the power for something other than oil and gas extraction.

Explain?

Peak oil may have been debunked in your words, but that doesn't change the basic situation facing humans. You can only squeeze the orange for so long until juice stops coming out. We had best start developing more sustainable technologies now, because there will come a day when there is no more oil or coal or gas. I'm not saying stop all oil extraction now, because you are correct in stating that we have many mechanisms that rely on oil. What I am saying is it is foolish to defend the use of fossil fuels so vehemently when they are, by nature, a limited and unsustainable resource. Anyone concerned with the future of the human race should support sustainable energy use.