Running....

Discussion in 'Fitness, Health & Nutrition' started by iceAgecoming, Jan 23, 2009.

1. what up everyone,

so I was just curious if there is anyone out there, who TRULY lost weight by just running ( at least a mile a day , 4-5 times a week ) , I mean i have seen results for myself, as I lost about 10 pounds already just from running, but can I truly loose that poundage? im talking 50 pounds at least, ( im 6'1 , 250 lbs by the way , large frame )

2. I lost like 15lbs, and thats all that I could lose at the time (anymore and I would have been underweight). I did a combination of running, diet (no soda, nothing too fatty, buts lots of calories to run) and drank tons of water and stuff. Good luck, I'm doing the same thing over again right now...:eek:

3. i never lost to much weight from running, idk why. I ran a lot too talkin like 8 miles a day, but then i didnt have too much to lose, it seemed like i lost some and then just stayed. I still run but its just for enjoyment now

4. ah i see. well Im slightly overweight so I guess that goes in my favor .

We'll see how it goes, oh and I cut off junk food as well for awhile now , im loosing weight. Hopefully runing will help me loose much more

5. gonna have to run a lore more than a mile a day to lose weight.

a mile a day is str8 if you are JUST starting out. you need a minimum of 20min of cardio 4-5 times a week.

6. #6 diogenesofdm, Jan 26, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 26, 2009
    I'm sorry to break it to you, but 6'1'' 250 lbs. is not slightly overweight, technically it's obese, with a body mass index of 33. And no, running alone is not enough to lose weight and be healthy. You need to eat healthier foods, stick to a regimented cardio program, and I'd even recommend lifting weights if available. Work your core muscles like your abs and back for better frame support.

edit: Oh, and there most certainly is an ice age coming, I like the name.

edit2: btw, the target weight for your height, to be considered normal weight, is 150-190 lbs. But if you have a larger frame, I'd say make it a goal to lose 50 lbs. 200 lbs still a little overweight but you'd be much healthier.

7. Losing weight is around 80% diet and 20% exercise. Cardio is good for burning fat, but you also want to do some weight training so you can build muscle. You can lose a lot of weight by running but not if you eat lots of calories, and you'll burn calories more efficiently if you have muscle mass.

Personally, running and heavy cardio give me a huge appetite, which causes me to eat more, and thus I don't lose weight. But if I switch to walking, for longer periods of time, I don't get as hungry and I burn as much calories.

8. I have been wondering the exact same thing. I figured it should really work for my body type. I'm just an inch shorter than you and still 250 lbs. You should definitely post updates.

9. cool man, well let me start off by saying I was around 258 when I start, back in like MAY , then i ran for about 1 and a half months and went down alot, but then i stopped, so now im redoing it, and I started out at aroudn 250 , now im 245 . Running at least 1.5 miles a day ( 5 days a week )
    im moving up to 2 miles a day today

10. weightlifting will burn way more calories than running miles a day.
    what you should do is lift for about an hour, then do some sprinting. long distance running is not very good for losing weight.

11. #11 Kato, Jan 27, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 27, 2009
    This is wrong in SOOO many ways.
    1. Weight lifting will not directly burn more calories than running. Weight lifting produces muscle. That muscle in turn burns calories.
    2. Running and jogging can burn up to 1000 calories in one hour. Depending on their weight and pace. If they are 240+ as it sounds they are; they can easily burn 1k cals in one hour.
    ===
    If you want to lose body fat I would suggest 1hr of cardio MINIMUM every day. 2.5k cal diet.
    Get a good lifting plan also.
    www.bodybuilding.com is your friend.
    Remember lower hr cardio uses more calories from fat than high HR cardio does. high HR cardio will burn a majority of its calories from carbs, muscle, and fat.

Long periods of high HR will eat away at your muscle and will keep you from gaining as much as you could.

I would suggest not higher than 65% of your max target HR
    If you keep it at 60% for 1hr every day. Eat healthy, drink water, and sleep 8hrs a day. It will only be time keeping you from losing that body fat. Hope this helps. My classes better pay off for something.

12. this guys got it all covered in my book. :cool:

13. Sure you can. But because of your weight, maybe you should also bike and use elliptical so you dont put too much stress on your knees and ankles. Im 18 years old and only 135 lbs but after years of cross country my joints are already fragile, so I like to bike instead. Then again I know a 70 year old that jogs everyday so to each their own i suppose... Happy running!:hello:

14. The world's fucked anyways, eat up while u can.
    Or, start skateboarding. I used to be a bigger kid, until i started skating almost every day over summer. It's fun to do stoned and i dropped like 60 pounds. I also cut out junk food alot, but that was before i started smoking. Recently i've put back on like 10 of those, but nothing major. Winter's almost over