Running pipes thru the tent wall.

Discussion in 'Do It Yourself' started by Alnilam Ecrota, Jun 25, 2020.

1. Has anyone ever built a recirculating DWC kit and wanted their control bucket and chiller outside? Im gonna punch a hole in my tent and run everything outside the tent that isnt the buckets with plants in them and im wondering how difficult it would be to patch a hole and make it light proof again.
    If anyone has an input on glueing tents and having it successfully stay glued id appreciate the input.

2. Theres a fan hole in the side if your not using an intake fan.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Way I’ve seen it done before

-Cut (2) 6”x6” piece of plywood (preferably 1/2” or thicker)
    -Drill out or use a jigsaw to cut a hole in the center of both pieces the exact size of your pipe.
    -Figure out where you want the pipe to exit and cut an X pattern in the tent approximately 75% the size of you pipe (1” pipe gets a 3/4” X)
    -Push the pipe thru one piece of plywood, thru the tent, and thru the second piece of plywood (keep a gap between each layer for now)
    -Apply wood glue to both pieces of plywood and quickly put a 1” screw in each corner connecting both pieces tightly.
    -Use silicone caulking to fix any gaps you have around the pipe itself

The way I saw it done pretty much makes a plywood sandwich around the pipe while it enters/exits with enough room on the plywood to either side of the pipe that light gets blocked from escaping.

I’m sure there is an easier way of doing this, just sharing the experience

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. Just realized you could do the same thing I mentioned except replace the plywood with thick enough fabric to block light and super glue instead of wood glue. Would prevent the tent from sagging too

• Like Like x 1
  5. I actually did something very similar. Glue and any adhesives have trouble sticking to the outside of the tent but on the inside tape and glue work well. I used some spare grow tent fabric and a couple pieces of reflective foam board and i sid the exact same thing you said to donwith wood but i used a foam board and then patched in pieces of tent fabric to make it light proof and it worked well. Thanks for the responses. I had an idea of what i wanted to do but im always looking for first hand knowledge cause i could plan something out and overlook a detail that someone else may point out, so thanks for the input friends.

• Like Like x 2
  6. My thoughts too ...nice!

7. Gorilla tape or spray foam would be a quick/ easy route. Rigid foam was mentioned above would be more "professional looking".

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk