Running is good

Discussion in 'Fitness, Health & Nutrition' started by Trogdor, Feb 19, 2012.

1. I'm starting this thread as a place for me and other runners to discuss why they run and help with questions about running based on their own experience.

I run solely because it gives me an inner calm and energy that lasts for the whole day, sometimes two or three days. For me it requires at minimum a half hour of intense cardio to get there.

Once you feel this "transformation" you'll be a believer. The hurdle is getting to the point where your body can endure a long enough intense cardio session. I'll offer the support and advice to help get you there.

2. i like running, really great cardio.

Ill start again this summer, because for now im still bulking.

3. I just got back from my longer run and I feel amazing. It's like 40 degrees out and sunny which is uncommon for this time of year in rural New York. I always take different routes and today I ran down the back roads. The scenery is beautiful. Just a bunch of gravel roads, creeks, ponds, woods, horses, and farms. I found this path that went straight through the woods and it was surrounded by little creeks. I held a good pace and felt so peaceful. There were no houses, people, or cars around me, just nature and good music. I listened to everything from Johnny Cash to The Gorillaz to salsa music.

Runner's high is so addicting :p

4. [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mhESiGX7E6k]Can't Get SIX PACK ABS? Have You Tried This... - YouTube[/ame]

i like this reason and the music

5. Good to hear from some experienced runners. It has been a great winter for running with temperatures east of the Mississippi constantly above average.

I did a short 4 mile run in before work today and plan on doing another one before work tomorrow morning. Gotta keep those calves conditioned so they don't get sore during longer runs.

If any novice runners are following the thread, keep running. Try to work close to your maximum, but take walk breaks when you really feel like you can't run any longer. Also don't run so hard or so long that you have to take more than two days off.

6. I first started running daily when I was 18. I'm 32 now and I can honestly say that there is no substitute for the feeling I get after a long run. The hardset part of it all is getting your body to a point where it doesn't feel like a chore to be running.

Have you ever driven in your car or rode on the bus and you can't recall every aspect of the trip? This is because your mind was somewhere else. You were still accelerating, braking, etc...but it was sort of mindless. This happens to me when I run. I'll go for a long run and sometimes by the end of it, I don't remember portions of the run.

I ran the Broad Street Run in Philadelphia last year. There are over 30,000 people in the race. This year it sold out in 5 hours! I'm registered again this year and can't wait for May 6th!

7. It clears my mind. Helps me become calm.

8. I love running too. But I can only run during the summer, because I think it is too cold other times of the year.

Have anyone tried vibrams fivefingers? I am curious.. I want to buy a pair..

9. I have recently started running. I am slowly conditioning my body to be able to run longer distances. For now i can run 1.2 without stopping (the length of my neighborhood), and do this twice daily. I run to lose weight and to provide myself with the feeling i get while running. With some nice tunes, a run is the most peaceful part of my day.

Any tips on the best way to increase my mileage?

10. I have flat feet and last year I ran my first half marathon.

Unfortunately for me, I have an extremely strong will. And it might have injured my feet but Im not sure.

Before the marathon the most I'd ever ran in one instance was 5 miles, and it was mixed with walking.

I finished the run at 2:45, and for about two weeks, my feet were fucked and I had a very hard time running.

What I noticed now is that when I started training again, my feet would start hurting during the run. After 2 or 3 weeks of constant training, the soreness stopped coming.

I didn't run for two weeks, and just went yesterday, only did 3 miles, and my feet are sore as shit. Im sure it will go away as it did before.

Dunno if this is bad, any thoughts?

11. You would be surprised what the human body can handle. Just keep it easy and run your normal route, but very comfortable. After finishing like you normally would, walk for 3-5 minutes, and then run the 1.2 miles again. You already run it twice per day so this isn't much of a stretch. Continue to add minutes on, walking where needed, and keep track of your running each day. Just slowly build up.

A few other random tips for all:

-the proper footwear is important! go to a place that can set you up with the right shoe for your foot.
    -the first 3 weeks are the toughest, stick with it for 21 days and you will be in a very different place than when you started.
    -proper nutrition is important for recovery(i.e. being less sore and getting faster quicker). Try to have some carbs and protein within 45 minutes of completing your run. This is when your body is primed to take in the nutrients it needs to repair the muscles you just used.

12. I have a pair of the KSO's and love them. I use them for hiking and running. There are many more choices now than when I first got my pair, and I might just have to get another pair now...

Fixed my knees, can't be beat. I'm training for the Portland marathon this year in them.

13. Running is great. Just ran 11 miles today the most i've ever ran. Feels good. Bodies jello though. hah

14. I run with the bikila model. It feels funny at first when the pinky toe well.. gets spread out but after you got used to it is a nice pair of running shoes.

15. Reefermadness, what is the obstacle that is keeping you from increasing your mileage? Muscle soreness, getting winded, or something else?

16. Kliff, the muscles in your feet most likely lost their conditioning. I would say run, but don't overdo it and they should strengthen to the point where they get less sore/don't get sore at all from running.

My calves start to lose conditioning after just a few days of not running, so I do short runs or jump rope for a few minutes to keep them in shape if I get too lazy or short on time for a full length cardio workout.

17. love to run also. I toke up daily and run probably 3x a week... need to be in great cardio shape for soccer. Each run is usually 5 miles... I go really hard on the first three and try to improve it every time. I got to my best of 18:36 last time I did it... whole minute improved over the past couple months. Going for a run tomorrow in fact.... where do you guys run also... there is an old high school across the street where I live and they have a track I run at usually. But sometimes I'll try the treadmill as well.

18. Sidewalks, side streets, parks, and soccer fields. Gonna start adding some trail running in the woods soon.

19. #19 hazyyjane, Mar 15, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2012
    I'm justttt getting into running. I used to be really active and dance, but had to stop because my knees are so shitty. For the past few months I've been going to the gym and using the elliptical, which is great because it's really easy on your knees and I can already tell I'm in better shape. The weather's finally warming up and I want to start running outside, but I'm a little worried - any runners have good knee stretches/strengthening exercises to recommend?

drpanda, I don't own vibrams but my brother bought a pair and swears by them. he used to hate running and now he runs at least four times a week.