Running into problems making rosin from home

Discussion in 'Harvesting and Processing Marijuana' started by ZTS, Sep 20, 2017.

1. Hey everyone.

I'm a new grower who's trying to learn how to make rosin from home with my homegrown herb. I've watched videos on youtube on fresh frozen rosin, dry ice hash, dry-sifting, and much more but I'm still having issues. I'm hoping the community can help me figure out what I'm doing wrong.
    Here's all the details:
    I'm using a hair straightener, parchment paper, and 90 micron silk screens from bubble magic.
    When I first harvested my plants I tried pressing the herb fresh - turned out terrible. It was milky and impossible to scoop up. Although I wanted to go the fresh frozen route, I figured if the herb was already turning out terrible, it would even be worse with more moisture from the freezer.
    So instead I trimmed and dried.
    Afterwards I let the weed cure for a week and then dry sifted the trimmings. We tried pressing the hash in homemade silk screens with temp at 300F but the hash just got flattened and some busted through the screen. Total waste.
    So we bought 90 micron bags and I created hash with the 2.8 grams of weed using the dry ice method. We got a few solid balls of hash out of it. Just tried pressing one of the balls inside the silk screen and all of the rosin soaked into the micron bags! Complete waste.

Am I pressing at too high of a heat? Am I using the wrong bags?

I'm pretty clueless at this point.

The whole reason I started growing was to be able to make my own rosin from home and dab it as I don't smoke herb. This is making me wonder if i'm over my head.

Thanks for reading. 20170920_142904.jpg

Attached Files:

2. From my experience with trying rosin from a hair straightener is that it's more of a novelty thing. You aren't going to get a good yield. When ever I have done it I just put bud between parchment paper and give it the squeeze for 10 seconds. I move it around and press it 2 or 3 more times. Then I toss the hockey puck of pressed weed and take a dabber and just dab on all the spots of oil I see and usually end up getting 2-3 little dabs if I use a gram of bud.

3. Why not do a bho shatter? With vacuum purge you get virtually all the tane out

4. Metal screens

5. Hi, ZTS. It can get so confusing with all the different hash techniques. Let me clear a few things up.

First, fresh frozen is great for ice has. either bubble or dry ice. In these methods we are knocking of the stalked trichome heads and filtering the material. Remember the material is not fully stripped with this tech. So if its nice buds save them for edibles. Either dry or refreeze material for additional processing.

At this point you have some nice hash you can just f-ing smoke it.

OR...

Make rosin. Use Nylon food grade bags not silk bags. Turn them inside out and pack and fold bag so the only place rosin can flow is out. Start at a low temperature like 180 and do not use very much pressure. In this process you basically are popping millions of little resin filled balloons. The idea is to leave the rubber (cell membrane) in the bag and squish out the great resin.

I recommend not pressing your hash before you squish it. Your bubble stay much nicer if it was never pressed. Once you press it the process starts of the THC breaking down into other cannabinoids and oxidizing. This is only good if you are looking for that classic hash flavour and downer effect.

Have fun squishing. Solvent less is the way to go. I ran bunt for years. Never again it is dangerous and poisonous.

6. Hello, I would like to kindly suggest that you can, in fact, use a flat iron to make perfect rosin. Put your concentrate in a RosinPouch www.rosinpouches.com and press at about 200 degrees. You do not need a press for this. Presses are only better for flowers or very large runs. Most individuals do not press over a half ounce of extracted material at one time. The only thing that is left after you squeeze the material under heat and pressure is the fatty plant matter (waste material) pressing it to 10 tons or whatever will do you no good. it only takes a few seconds. That's It! These rosinpouches.com pouches work just fine and they are updating the inventory all the time. 25 Micron for pressing rosin.