Running and being a frequent smoker

Discussion in 'All Sports' started by ChiCity420, Mar 25, 2012.

1. I've been a runner and a smoker for a bit. The last year I have smoked the most out of my entire smoking career haha. I ran a race in Chicago that I run every year today and ran 3 minutes faster than my fastest on that course. Booo to those who say you can't run and smoke. Cigarettes are a different story though.

Shout out to athletic smokers!

2. i dont get why runners dont lift weights more. All they do is run all the fuckin time and they look like skinny little toothpicks. i'm all for running because its great for your body but damn balance it out, doesnt look good

3. perhaps some people think differently to you, and enjoy running competitively and if that means having extremely low body fat then that's the sacrifices they make to be competitive.

honestly, try not to be so ignorant.

4. muscle burns fat, if anything it would help you lose more body fat when you're not running

its not ignorance...an ample amount of muscle would mean higher endurance, less injury, and overall better body composition

5. [quote name='"FuckBeerGetWeed"']i dont get why runners dont lift weights more. All they do is run all the fuckin time and they look like skinny little toothpicks. i'm all for running because its great for your body but damn balance it out, doesnt look good[/quote]

I do both. Weights and cross training have helped me improve my race times.

6. theres just no need to be picking on the appearance of long distance runners, and reccomending that they lift so they are more attractive.

ffs, you think haile gebrselassie gives two shits what women think about his looks?

7. In order to gain muscle, they would have to stop running as much... And muscle is not optimal for running, especially long distance. That is why the body doesn't build huge leg muscles just because you use your legs a lot. It builds legs that will be more suitable to running.

So you are suggesting a runner to stop running to be a less effective runner in the end?

Sounds like ignorance. :rolleyes:

8. You want to maximize the efficiency of the muscles you have. You don't want to carry 20 pound of muscle you don't need with you for 20+ miles.

FYI my wife runs marathons and takes a break at about mile 17 to smoke a blunt. :smoke: