Rumple's 2nd LED Challenge

Discussion in 'Hydroponic Grow Journals' started by Rumpleforeskin, Jan 31, 2010.

1. What do you normally set the humidity to when using your HPS? 30% seems pretty low.

Also with 89 degrees is that all day or do you drop temps at night? does the water have a chiller or is it that warm?

I am very curious to know if the roots can do well at those temps. Higher temps def mean faster growth I am just worried about rot.

Thanks a ton

2. I am not sure if I agree with "higher temps mean faster growth". I would love to have my nutrient hooked to a chiller, but I have no room for one. I would run my humidity lower if i though I could get it there.

3. Ehhhhh 89 Seems a lil to high for me...anything after 90 and the buds are gunna start stretching pretty bad....To me it sounds like the Prosource guys are reaching pretty high for anyway they can make their product seem as though its doing better.....

Even if it does some what better,At 90 degree's your gunna start running into some Humidity problems and stress problems,which is funny because heat stress heavily effects harvest weight LOL

ALL n all your plants look amazingly healthy Rump :D cant wait till next harvest

4. Everyone saying the temp is too high knows that he uses co2, right?

If I remember correctly, he was already at 85 before they had him raise it.

5. hehe spot on Mike =) damn Rump I'm watching.

6. Hey Rump,

Here is a link for a microchiller that may fit in your tent. I've never used one of these units. However, it seems to be just what a small 5 gallon bucket would need to cool the water 7-10 degree's. IceProbe Aquarium/Water Chiller by Coolworks

7. Wow! +rep

8. #108 Rumpleforeskin, Feb 24, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 24, 2010

I tested Iceprobes a while back. They are total crap and a waste of money. I like aquarium chillers and thought about getting one for a while. You can't have the chiller in the same room as your plants. Chillers make a shit load of heat.

9. Hey Rump,

Thanks for the info. Why are "Iceprobes" crap? Do these small micro chillers put out that much heat?

10. They are not good in a confined space. They heat up and add heat to your room, the added heat in your room heats up your nutrient that is being cooled by the Iceprobe. It ends up not doing much. I wish I could give them to your free, they are total junk.

11. It seems sort of strange, but air conditioners, chillers, refrigerators, freezers, and any other cooling equipment create more heat than cold overall....so as rumple says, if you have them in a confined space, they heat, not cool....you have to have the heat exchanger outside of the area to be cooled....such as the heat exchanger in a refrigerator is not next to your milk on the inside of the frig.....air conditioners have their heat exchangers outside...like a window ac unit.
    you can put the exchanger outside of your grow room though, such as in an attic or ?

12. Day 14 of Flowering:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. my god rump! keep up the good work...cant wait for your week 4 pics of flowering those buds are going to look mighty tasty. Happy growin and tokin brotha:wave:

14. Now that looks yummy man. Now compared to the first LED grow how would you say this plant is doing? Do you think it is on the way to a larger harvest?

15. I can never tell at this point. LEDS seem to too good up to the point of making bud. We will have to just wait and see.

16. Let's hope they can get flowering down with lights soon. I would love to be able to consume less electricity. I mean that is essentially the end goal right? Whether it is achieved primarily through better PAR / Watt or through decreased cooling needs. $.29 / KWH hurts bad. Hopefully this grow shows some progress!

17. Wonder how it would go if you started pumping them with HPS now?

18. I don't know your genetics but its this an Indica dominant strain? Your screen looks somewhat thin for two weeks flower time. Time wise my current grow is right where yours is but you can almost see no screen on mine. .v.

19. .29/kwh? Yikes! I don't even worry about my power bill at all with this cheap midwest power.

It would be nice if LED saves power, but the difference between what Rump was running (400w HID, total of like 430w) and the LEDs (2 at 180+ watts) is only about as much as a 75w light bulb. Reducing your grow energy by one 75w bulb ain't squat. Unfortunately.

Am I doing the math right?

I want LEDs to succeed, but the price of them now is ludicrous, given that there is no established performance data, and the informal data collected by users indicates they aren't all that or a bag of chips.

20. You are correct, right now it's really just cooling costs that are saved right now. And high wattage LEDs are just too expensive, so to me thats why the tech isn't there, but I still hope it won't be too long for more efficient grow lighting.