Rumple's 2nd LED Challenge

Discussion in 'Hydroponic Grow Journals' started by Rumpleforeskin, Jan 31, 2010.

1. Sounds awfully similar to what I ended up doing environment-wise at the end my last grow. Purely by accident of course since I'm feeling my way about here. But I got noticeable results out of raising the temps.

2. This is something that I have been curious about. My grow room stays between 68 & 73 now. Both the air and the water in my buckets. When I was initially growing from seed, i didn't have my grow box, or my grow room set up, and the temp fluctuated a little more and growth was very slow. When I finished my box and the temps ranged from 80 to 85, the growth took off. It is probably double for my mother plants in dirt. I have to trim them back often now.

My grow room is cool but my understanding is that 70 degrees is ideal for DWC. This is easy to do with a small heater, but I was wondering if having the air temps a little higher might not be beneficial. I don't know how raising the air temps would be possible without raising bucket temps also. So many possibilities to explore...

3. That was really funny Rump. I meant did you look closely at the light fixtures, I have a 100w (Totally does not replace a 400W HPS!) Lightblaze 400 and I looked right at it the first time in a semi dark room full blast and it felt like my eyes were pissing blood for about 5 sec. Lesson is not to look directly at LEDs however it is very fun to do to people! "Hey buddy take a look at this, flip on your red and blue eye destroyer! *laugh maniacally*".

4. rumply-bumpity subbed

5. That's what they told me too, Rumple. 89 degrees. They as well said 8 inches above but when seeing photos of my grow closet we decided on 6 inches above, when possible. The results one month in are better better than expected after reading all the negativity on these lights. Look forward to following your journal.

6. OK I agree with the temps but the rest is ludicrous...what are they afraid of the plants are going to fry? Glad you have the time and harvest to waste on these lettuce growers.

7. Hey Rumple,

Thanks for running another test & journal on LED.
    I have one concern about LED grow journals though, let me explain.
    In reading various grow journals on this forum and others I've noticed that more often than not those running the grow usually go with feminized genetics/seeds, and in most accounts they often describe tall, thin plants with small buds as their results. Now I haven't grown in about 4 years due to a lot of moving, but when I was growing I had tried feminized seeds with poor results. After harvesting said crop the internet became flooded around the same time with articles and stories about how feminizing seeds actually ruins the genetics and grow weaker plants, although they are females as advertised.

I understand the LED lumen & light penetration issues and how that is part of their current drawbacks, but by mixing feminized genetics into their grows, aren't these growers ruining their control environment with questionable plants in the first place? Because when I grew my feminized seeds under an HPS, and they looked exactly the same as the results that I'm seeing under LEDs grows, with the LEDs being blamed for the weak yields that resulted.

I realize ProSource is setting up the boundaries in which this garden will grow, but were the plants chosen those with proven genetics or another batch of the feminized?

Hopefully you see my point sir, thanks for reading, and good luck with this grow :)

8. pretty sure Rump's been growing the same strain for awhile now...WW from nirvana if Im not mistaken.

9. I don't think you could do a fair test at all using any kind of seeds. Seeds will give millions of different phenotypes from a single seeded mother. I have nothing against using seeds to search for the perfect blend of genitic traits, but once you find it you better keep a clone.

I do the tests using clones from the same mother that I have kept going for over four years. So in respect to the plant we are using in this test, it is identicle in every way to the one I did last time . The clone being used is the same exact DNA as the clones I have been putting into my grow-operation for years. This makes it easy to tell if LED lights are worth while.

10. #30 DHH, Feb 1, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 27, 2010
    Keep up the the good work rumple, really looking forward to this one as much as the other LED challenge. You are doing us all a huge favor :)

My only concern this time is that prosource agien want the humidity to be at 30%
    at my point of view that is a mistake??.

LED a still very new to the grow scene, so offcourse they cant quite compete whit a HPS yet. it took like 20 years to make the HPS we se today. But i must say it is looking good rumple really hope to se a littel better result this time

And to all your haters and dudes ther has nothing other to do than posting menning lees stuff PLEASE DONT do that.

11. Subbed! Looking forward to this very much...The last one was GREAT and this one should be even better.

12. #32 kerenski, Feb 1, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 2, 2010
    very cool... i've been highly interested in LEDs ever since i first heard about em... never seen a real fair comparison yet, tho... (didn't see the first tho tbh... :D)
    thanks for doing this, rumple [​IMG]

i'm lookin forward to seeing how this plays out...[​IMG]this time i'm in from the beginning [​IMG]

btw, are they dictating you the HPS's distance too?

13. One thing I missed on the last grow, or you didn't post it.
    What is the nutes you use?
    What is the PPM schedule?
    Clone 600PPM, veggin' 1100, and flowerin' 1600 ?

14. #34 HATEu4NOW, Feb 2, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 2, 2010
    Hey there Rumple. What do you use for your SCROG screen. It looks as if its one piece that is a metal of some sorts. So is it one complete piece or is it a frame w/ wire? It looks sturdy as well. I'm looking for a single premade piece that is easy to work with a sturdy and it looks like you have that. Thanks peace love happiness forever!

BTW checked out the first grow thanks for taking your harvest and submiting it to experimentation outside your norms. This is great for all of use who dont have the time or resources to do it ourselves, you truly are helping further mankind.

What is your normal yeild w/o LED? Wet or dry.
    What was your 1st LED yeild? Wet or dry.

15. Along again for ride number 2. Hope you get at least 10 - 12 oz this time - good luck! ;)

16. He uses Stucco Lath
    http://www.klath.com/snapupload/Products/Stucco_Rite.jpg

Ref: http://forum.grasscity.com/advanced-grow-journals/485301-rumples-led-challenge-13.html#post6015974

17. ............subbed in.......:wave:

18. Here we go again. I'm in for this one. =)

19. He uses the Lucas formula with 5ml/gallon of GH Micro, and 10ml GH Bloom for veg. He uses 8ml/gal GH Micro & 16ml/gal Bloom for flower. He changes out the water when he has added back an equal volume of water contained in his res. He flushes in the last week or so. For clones he uses straight RO water. All this an much more can be found in the link below:

http://forum.grasscity.com/do-yourself/121335-lets-build-bubble-bucket-step-step.html

It is a huge thread, but I read it twice and don't regret it at all. I just read the first 42 pages for the 3rd time and realized that I missed a few things even after 2 readings. Nearly everything is covered in the first 42 pages. If you are really pressed for time, you can just read Rumple's posts, and that actually makes it a pretty quick read.