Rule of Green Thumbs

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by Triple6Greens, Oct 7, 2016.

1. #1 Triple6Greens, Oct 7, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2016
    Rule of thumb - a broadly accurate guide or principle, based on experience or practice rather than theory.

I am making this thread in hopes to answer many questions of new growers. There are so many different growing tips and guides that I see how easy it is for new growers to become confused and mid lead.

This thread isn't about this is better then that, it's a simple list of rules or guidelines to follow while growing that will lead to a successful grow if you just follow them. I won't be getting into strains, training, growing technique s etc...

• Don't tell anyone about your growing. This is the number one rule but also the most broken rule. It only takes one person besides yourself to mess up a grow.
    Pots/containers
    • 1 gallon per 1 month of growing.
    • Drainage holes are a must!
    • Nothing clear or see through
    Soil/medium

• Soil must have plenty of drainage, stay away from clay and wood chips
    • Miracle grow can be used but should try and be avoided
    • Stay away from time release nutrients
    • Invest in your soil/mediums, this is where your roots are going to be and the roots are the most important thing on the plant ... besides the buds. Ha
    Water
    • People always try to complicate this so much. You don't need to waste a ton of money on water. If you live in the US chance are your water is already pretty decent
    • If using tap water let sit for 24 hours to release unwanted chemicals
    • Always ph water for coco and hydro grows
    • Soil grows don't need to be ph'd but if it makes you feel better go for it.
    Lights
    • Lights are everything! More watts = more buds. I always see new growers make this mistake
    • Cfl 150 actual watts per plant
    • Hid/led 100 watts per plant
    • Place you thermometer on the top of your canopy. This is the best way to see if you need to move your lights
    • 2700K or hps or red led for flowering
    • 6500/5500K or mh or blue led for vegging

ventilation
    • Always have a fan blowing on plants
    • Always have more exhaust then intake
    • You want your fan/exhaust to move 3 times the amount of cfm per grow space
    • Try n keep temps below 80
    Nutrients
    • Miracle grow can be used but should try and be avoided
    • Stay away from super high NPK rated stuff
    • Always start at 1/2 strength and work up each week
    • Use grow nutes during veg
    • Use bloom nutes during flower
    • Continue to use grow nutes 2/3 weeks into flower
    • Follow the instructions of the fucking bottle!
    Misc info
    • Vegging = lights on 16+ hours
    • Flowering = lights 12/12 on/off
    • Plants get 2/3 times bigger during flower
    • All plant are different .. yes even the same strain
    • Watching your plants doesn't make them grow faster. Plants have been growing forever with no help from humans
    I hope I covered the basics in this thread. As for strains, growing technique, brands etc that's up to you. My suggestion just grow 1-2 plants all the way to harvest and then start messing with the other factors. New growers always try making it to complicated and end up having no fun. Growing should be fun and relaxing.

KISS - keep it simple stupid

• Like Like x 9
  2. This stuff is golden, its a shame people just dont like to read!
    Thank you for taking the time to create this!!

• Like Like x 2
  3. I would just edit this part:
    "If you can't hold your hand on top of the plant under the light your light is to close"
    I think that it comes to that point then it wayyy too hot, maybe instruct people to put the thermometer at the canopy level and see if the temps don't exceed 26-30º C

• Like Like x 1
  4. #4 GoldGrower, Oct 8, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2016
    When the tips of the leaves reach out past the rim of the pot, it's time to think about transplanting to a bigger pot or if it's in its final flowering pot, start adding nutrients

When growing in DWC use an air pump that pushes out 1 litre per minute for every 2 litres of nutrient solution

Perlite should be around 30% of your final soil mix

Lower the lights until the very top of your plants are exposed to 28°C

If you're going to grow in soil, start your seeds in it

This is a graphic I put together a few years ago and rarely get a chance to use it, this is one of those times....
    (HPS wattage is comparable to LED true wattage)

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
  5. I use miracle gro and do pretty well. Here are my plants right now at 31 days old.

[​IMG]

La da da da da, aladeen muthafuuckkaa!

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

6. Yeah i used to use Miracle growth but it affects the taste. Don't matter how you cure it but still can't get that crap out of it. They grew very well looked good and smelled great but taste like crap. Ended up making shatter out of it. Now that wasn't bad.

Sent from my SM-S920L using Grasscity Forum mobile app

7. Did you use organic MG soil? I do. Smells like shit, so do all the nutrients in the General Organics lineup.

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

8. @Troon @Raymond Miller

You two take your shit else where. This is not a "this is better then that" thread

• Like Like x 1
  9. Yeah do you have a TDS meter by chance that would help. You can measure your run off you would be able to dial it directly in and know exactly.

10. Okay okay... buy first in am thinking of a number from 1 and 10 do you think you can guess it. You might win something.

11. Well you said miracle gro is garbage. I was just telling you that it's not. I never said it was better than anything else, just was saying it works.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Overall good post though

13. @Raymond Miller

@Troon

I think the majority of growers will agree that miracle grow should be avoided as much as possible

• Like Like x 1
  14. @Triple6Greens

A lot of people actually use their organic soils, I think they have two different ones. I can't speak on the non organic types of miracle gro because I have never used them.

• Like Like x 2
  15. I personally would never recommend using it myself. I used it when I first learned how to grow.. It taste like shit. I grow hydroponic dwc now. I agree with you it's crap.

16. Bump for rookies

17. The problem with miracle grow, isn't the product itself, but the dosage instructions. I have seen plenty of miracle grow grows and they turn out perfectly fine, but you have to considerably lower the concentration because marijuana needs a lower concentration than a lot of fruits and vegetables

• Like Like x 1
  18. @GoldGrower

But I think general rule of thumb is to try n avoid miracle grow

• Like Like x 2
  19. The only thing I can see is saying to follow the directions on the bottle. They're always wrong. What brand of nutrients do you recommend because I am going to try something new with the seedlings that i have started. My supplier always does crazy specials like today. If you brought in an empty bottle of booster any kind of booster you get a free bottle of this[​IMG]