Rubbermaid tub box grow! Help

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by killajay, Mar 9, 2010.

1. Materials needed

1. Black Plastic tub. $8.99 at target. I don't know how many gallons but it's measurements are 18" x 14" and 11" tall. You can use a 5 gallon bucket. I have kind of a height restriction in my cabinet so I needed to keep the rez as low as possible. Also, after you modify a 5 gallon bucket to DWC, it really only holds 3.5 - 4 gallons of your solution. This holds 6 gallons. It doesn't seem like that much of a diffrence now but when the plant gets big it will drink a ton. This just makes maintaining the rez easier.IMO.

[​IMG]

2. Aquarium air pump. double outlet. $10 at wal-mart.

[​IMG]

3. 4' Standard aquarium air line, 2 airstones, 2 .Plastic T-valves, 1 airline suction cup. $5 total also at wal-mart.

[​IMG]

4. Net cup. 10 for $5.

[​IMG]

5. Exacto knife & lighter ( I'm sure you have one of these)[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. Power drill & 17/64 drill bit.

[​IMG]

The first thing that you want to do is trace a circle, in the center of the lid, Using the bottom of the net cup as a guide.

Next heat the tip of the exacto knife for a minute or two.

Very carefully cut the hole in the lid. You might have to heat the knife a few times. Remember you can always come back make the hole bigger, but if you make it too big, your fucked. So take your time and make sure you stay within the lines.

[​IMG]

Put the netcup in the hole . It should be a tight fit.

[​IMG]

Drill 1 hole in the side of the tub about an inch from the top. This is for the airline. Do not drill the hole in the lid because you will be taking the lid off to maintain the proper nutrient level & it will be a pain in the ass each time.

Cut 2 pieces of the airline about 4" long each and connect them from the airpump outlets to the t-valve.

[​IMG]

Cut another 2 pieces of airline, these about 2-3' long and connect the airstones to the t-valve. Then connect a 2' long piece of airline to the t-valve.

[​IMG]

Stick the airstones to the bottom of the tup with the suction cup.

[​IMG]

Run the line through the hole you drilled and connect it to the airpump.

[​IMG]

The last thing to do is fill the net cup about a third of the way up with grow rocks, lava rocks or any similar medium. Place a cutting of your favorite stain on the rocks, then fill the rest of the cup with your medium.

[​IMG]

The nutrient level in your tub should be at the bottom of the net cup. You might have to pour some of the solution through the top for the first few days until the roots grow out. Once they do let, them grow into the water. The airstones will provide enough oxygen. when the plant takes off she will drink a lot of water, so make sure you top the rez daily if you have to. If the level goes down too low you will have ph and overfert issues. Make sure you change the rez out every 2 weeks or when you have added the same amount of water back that the rez holds. Airstones are cheap so replace them every rez change for better results. I made this for one plant. If you use a bigger rez, you can add more net pots. Just cut more holes and add another or a bigger air pump. I wouldn't put more than six plants per tub.

The growth rate is amazing! These pics are of a 5 week old mother plant. The last is of the stem after I took over 40 clones.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    \t\t \t \t\t \t\t \t\t \t\t \t\t\t \t\t\t\t__________________

For a bigger setup just use a bigger tub with more sites :), i prefer one plant per container but choice is yours ;)

2. Have you posted this in the DIY forum + rep for sure

3. no i haven't not yet but i will :) and appreciate it man

4. Great step by step. +Rep

5. oki but so could i just make 4 or 3 net pots instead of one?? or no

6. like if the plants are only in this for 3-4 weeks could i do 3-4 net pots ???? in that size or smaller container.

7. just made mine.... but theres only one tube coming from the air pump. is this fine or should i get more air stomnes.. im running 2 air stones but i plan on starting 4 plants in this then taking them out after two- 3 weeks. my buckts 20 gallons. to i put the water to the bottom of net cups or what??? and like should i start off with nutes or no???