Rubbermaid Stealth CFL - Update 5/4/11

Discussion in 'Micro Grows' started by Beaver420, Apr 29, 2011.

1. #1 Beaver420, Apr 29, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2011
    Using Upper Mid seeds for testing and if all works out will be growing Sweet Tooth.

4/29/11 - Planted seeds and turned on lights

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5/2/11 - First seedling has emerged, second seedling not far behind

[​IMG]

5/4/2011 - Freedom 1 and Liberty 1 are both looking really great at this point. Freedom 1 is curving a little bit but I have rearranged a little bit to correct that. Temperatures are steady at 76-79.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. thats pretty tight .. but i dun think those clf will do much up the looking down.

3. not so über stealth but yeah good luck ^^

4. yea it didnt need to be super stealth. Temperatures have been between 71-80 the first one sprouted earlier today and the second is not far behind.

[​IMG]

5. 5/3/2011

Plant 1:
    [​IMG]

Plant 2:
    [​IMG]

6. When should I start the LST process?

Pictures from 5/4/11 also added to original post

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. start lst like three weeks in, when the stock can take it

8. lower. that. light.

couple inches from plant

9. they have been, i've been turning the plants 90 degrees each day, but I will be getting at least 2 more lights installed. I have 3 currently.

10. you only have to lower it if your plant is stretching, otherwise you're crispin glover. Listen to the plant, not the internet, if she wants more light, she'll tell you.

11. 5/6/11 - Changed Bulbs to proper 6500k CFL. This caused a temperature increase. Got it back down.

[​IMG]

12. You should remove that blue basket. Its preventing air flow, and will lower your temps with it gone.

13. No, he really does need to lower the light. The stalk is kind of stretched, especially if he plans to do LST later on.

Beaver, if at all possible you might want to consider a way to fasten the lights horizontally. They will provide more light exposure, allow your plants to get closer to it, and help promote an even canopy. (important for lst!)

The way I have seen this done is one (or two!) power strip fastened to the side panel of the rubbermaid, near the top rim.. with screws and/or heavy duty double-sided tape fastening the power strip to the box. At Home Depot they sell light fixtures to house CFLs that plug directly into the socket, 1-2$ a pop. (Lowes and Home Depot websites both down, or i'd link the socket to ya)

14. My grow is looking nice and bushy with the lights originally a good 6 inches away from the seedling. but i agree with you on having the cfl's sideways, it also lets heat rise into the glass of the bulb, rather than the ballast, extending the bulb's life span.

15. They have been sideways since the day they broke soil

[​IMG]

16. 5/9/11 - Had some leaf discoloration on Freedom 1 a couple of days ago do to high temperatures. I have added a fan inside the box to help keep it cool while the airflow is restricted. Temperature has been steady at 81 since the fan was added. Liberty 1 is looking great at this time.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. Looks pretty good man. Sub'd

Did you germ the seeds before planting them?
    I've got my two each in their own cup with a ziploc over them and a 42w about as close to them as i can get without touching the bags.

Look forward to your updates man, your about a week or two ahead of me :)

18. 5/12/11 - Freedom 1 is not doing well at this time. I am having temperture control problems. Since I have changed the lighting it teeters between 81-85 degrees. I have tried increasing the size of the intake hole, placing the red fan as an intake fan, and removed the basket which is keeping the plants close to the light. What you see below is my current setup. Liberty 1 and the backup plant look to be doing fine, but seem to be growing a little slowly. With the lid closed the lights are about 2 inches away. I did the lighter test and it has negative pressure. The outake is a little larger than the intake and the blue fan acts as the outtake fan. Any suggestions?

Intake:
    [​IMG]

Internal:
    [​IMG]

19. #20 SlyPolak, May 13, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: May 13, 2011
    What kind of soil is that? Looks .... lumpy... clumpy... something odd
    I see no perlite too, you sure theres adequate drainage?

EDITL no need to be a dick