Rubbermaid Grow box Question

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by moneyman1, Aug 14, 2006.

1. whats up grasscity, im thinking of starting a grow in my closet in a rubbermaid box or something like that. I was wondering what kind of light i should consider using because i dont want it to melt or anything. also how far away should the lights be. thanks alot you guys have so much information and allways know how to help :)

2. Well, searching the site will always give you ideas and information. You may find examples of fluorescent lighting used as well has HID. I used a 70w HPS in a 22 gallon rubbermaid. The bulb could be 1-2 inches away from the plant. Fluorescents are nice because they are easier to manage heat, but they are not as good for flowering as HID. Most of the time plants can touch the fluoro bulbs without problems. Basically as far as heat goes if you can hold your hand under the light for one minute without discomfort, your plants should be ok at that level. Do a search for rubbermaid grows and you will find ideas.

3. thanks atokeday, ive searched the forums and found some important info...would a 70w hps be alright to put in there if i get some fans, what kind of ventalation are you using? and also whats a cheap and easy way to cover up smell thanks alot

4. waiit up! do what im doing. buy this light and buy 8 flowering bulbs and get it with the 8 veg bulbs. http://www.1000bulbs.com/product.php?product=11872[​IMG]

dont waste money on ventilation and other bs. this is a perfect light, no heat, no noise, no big energy bills. 40000 lumen output!

5. thanks terror i will deffintly check that out
    ..anyone else have any input?

what are some easy ways to cover smell that are inexpensive as im on a short budget thanks

6. Hmmm.. That looks like a good idea. How long would the bulbs last; and what bulbs for flowering and what bulbs for veggie do you get?

7. You could use that light. Take it apart and wire up a remote ballast. When I did a rubbermaid grow I used 3 computer fans. One pushing hot air from the bulb to the other two fans that exhausted air through carbon scrubbers. Carbon scrubbers are good for smell elimination if you control the flow of air. I just used a passive intake.

8. what is a remote ballast and what does it do?
    so i could use that light if i bought a ballast replacement kit for a 70w hps and the 70w hps ceiling light?
    how do i wire it together?
    thanks atokeaday you are helping alot

9. You can use that light. Inside of the light assembly is a ballast with an ignitor. These security lights also usually have a eye sensor that turns the light on when it gets dark out because they are usually used outdoors. If you decide to keep that light inside its case, you at least need to disable this sensor. I would recommend taking the light apart and wire the bulb inside your box and the ballast portion of the light outside of the box to keep the heat down inside your box. I will try to search for how to rewire the light. I did mine too long ago to remember how it did it. If you don't feel comfortable doing this then you need to buy a premade HID light meant for growing, or use fluorescents, they are easier to work with wiring wise.

10. atokeaday, i think i could follow directions pretty well on wiring it...also where could i find a premade light for growing thanks

11. thanks atokeaday i like the ballasting idea..im going to read up some more about it..i have one more question what do you use to mask the smell? i dont really wanna buy a carbon system but would air freshoners work?

converting the security light to a grow light seems pretty complicated but im willing to give it a try