Rubbermaid Grow Box Design NEED ADVICE FIRST EVER GROW

Discussion in 'Micro Grows' started by tys, Oct 25, 2011.

1. Hello GC, I just put together a rough sketch up model of what I would like to do with my grow box. The red arrows are air flow (not very good lol). I would appreciate any feedback on how to make my grow box better in any way possible.

[​IMG]

dont mind the lightbulbs sticking out the top, it won't actually be like that. :smoke:

2. looks alright. do you have the dimensions? add a fan in there to bro

3. If i was you should put more hole on the side where the fan is for intake mabey put some on top and in the middle and same for the exhaust and if you can get some small pc fans it would work better by making it more light proof but the way you have it modeled will work also your going to have to have the lights alot closer to the plant and what size are the lights you are getting

4. thanks for the replies guys, i'm thinking 13W bulbs? and the dimensions for ther container are 24 x 16 x 16½"

5. the 13w will be too small unless you plan on having like 10 of them i would go with some 42w or 26w 6500k(daylight) bulbs and then when you switch to flowering go with some soft white bulbs

6. thanks a lot frenchfries, about how far away should i have the lights from the plant?

7. I suggest passive intake holes with an active exhaust using either pc, inline duct, or small table fans. Heat will be something you have to watch.

8. I would put them like 3-6 inches above depending on how many lights you have

9. i'm thinking about going with 3 26W bulbs, as I have read that 4 bulbs can sometimes bring on too much heat

10. 3 should be fine im just starting my first micro grow and im starting off with a 42w and a 16w daylight

11. awesome, i just got word back from bcseedking that they can give me 4 fem big bud seeds for $30 so i'm pretty happy about that :)

now to get my grow box ready and start this thing up!

12. should always try and stick around 100+ watts. The more lumen output the better!

13. thanks for the advice nacho! if 3 isn't enough i'll be sure to add a 4th quickly

14. No problem bruh, just lookin out. subbed

now we need to see some seedlings!

15. no doubt, i'm very excited and glad to have you on board to help me out. would just regular potting soil be file to plant the seedling in?

16. Do you mean out of a bag

17. i actually don't even know if i have any around. i'll have to buy some. what soil would you guys recommend for the seedling?

18. Well depends. I would avoid Miracle Grow because it seems to be a miss or hit with people and seems to cause a decent amount of problems (assuming it hurts your plants). You could use Fox Farm Ocean Forest, roots organic soil, a soil mix or even soil from your old next door neighbor lol. And you should also buy a bag of perlite and add that into any soil you choose. Oh, and you can use these throughout the whole grow.

19. There are several methods of germinating seeds, for example: Sticking em straight into the soil, paper towel method, or the rock wool / roots accelerator method.

Good luck, its not always easy trying to pick out supplies for your first grow. But choose one and experiment in the future :smoke:

20. This. Just having vents with a fan on the outside isn't going to provide enough air-flow.