Rubbermaid CFL Autoflower grow-First auto and indoor grow

Discussion in 'Indoor Grow Journals' started by Cityboyz239, Jul 21, 2011.

1. #1 Cityboyz239, Jul 21, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 23, 2011
    Soo I've finally decided to grow some autoflowers. I've never done a grow indoors or started a journal before soo bare w/ me :D. Lets start with the strains..I went with feminized AK47 auto and a Low Widow auto. I've only been in Grasscity since June soo I dont really know if its cool to mention seed bank names on here!? If ya wanna know just hit me up n I'll let ya know. I started the AK first..was gonna just do one at a time..but I'm impatient soo I started the Low Widow a week after. I dropped the seeds in a shot glass in distilled water for 24 hours..then put them in a wet paper towel..inside of a small plastic bag and then in between two small plates..I put em on top of my dvd player soo they stayed a lil warm..they both sprouted the tap root in two days. I put the sprouted seeds inside of Jiffy Pellets "I know alot of people dont like these..but I use them to start all my outdoor strains and havn't had one issue yet" Once they were in Jiffy pellets inside of the dome, I put them back on top of the dvd player for warmth and covered the dome soo it was dark. Both strains broke soil in two days. I forgot to mention..I'm doing one auto indoors and one auto outdoor..not sure which one is goin outside yet? The inside box is pretty simple..I love DIY projects soo I made a rubbermaid grow box. Its two black 73QT tubs. It was really simple to build and the only thing I paid for to build it were a few pc case fans..everything else I had laying around the house. I'm still trying to decide whether or not to put some sort of reflection on the inside? On the bottom I have a piece of my old relfective hood..I cut it too the size of the bottom soo light reflects back up a lil. I'm still waiting for "Y" socket adapters to get here in the mail along w/ another pc case fan. For fans..right now I have a 80mm fan at the top for an intake a 3in hole cut out at the bottom and above that I have a smaller case fan from a dvd player that didnt play dvd's anymore..soo I snatched it out. Its a pretty small fan..thats why I have more fans coming in the mail. As far as light..I have 4 23 watt bright white cfl's which are 1600 lumens each and an assortment of 13watt bright white and soft "red" cfl's which are 835 lumens each..dont know exactly which combo to do yet? After the popped outta the pellets..I put them into small plastic cups in Fox Farm Ocean Forest Soil w/ a lil more perlite added to it for good drainage..I also put really small stones at the bottom of the cup for better drainage. After the cup I'll be transfering them to 3 gallon pots. As far as fertilzer..I'm going with Jacks Classic all purpose 20-20-20 and Jacks Classic Bloom Booster 10-30-20..I have a few other things if needed..I have some superthrive..molasses..epsom salt..PH up n down solution..alaskan fish emulsion. I'm not a pro grower and have never done a indoor grow before..last year I did a guerilla grow w/ Himilaya Gold which turned out pretty good! And this year I'm doing two lemon haze and a few bagseed females..one is flowering and the other one is my mother which Im gonna use for clones.. also some bagseed that I got in Florida before I moved..these Jamaicans had the best bud I could find in FL..dealt ONLY with them for 8 years straight!!..and these two autoflowers. I also need a thermometer/hygrometer..amazon takes FOREVER!:eek: I live in a VERY rural city now which is COMPLETELY different from where I lived before which is Orlando. But Im likin the country life soo far..I eventually want to start a indoor setup to where I'll have a continous harvest. :smoke: Feel free to comment..give advice or whatever else :D Im looking forward to this auto grow since its my first! I've been smoking a fat joint of some haze I got from a homie of mine soo if I missed something..let me know. Depending on the size of these auto's should I think about LST? Lookin forward to everyones input and learning new things! Thanks for checking out my grow and be safe out there:wave:

2. Fertilizer n Soil..extra perlite was added to soil

Attached Files:

3. My simple DIY grow box..I forgot to mention that I had this bladeless heat dissipating fan..I snatched out of a camping fan I didn't use anymore..I have it hot glued at the top pointing to the bottom

Attached Files:

4. First pic-AK after germination
    Second pic-AK broke soil..2 days later
    Third pic-AK at 4 days old
    Fourth pic-AK at a week old

Attached Files:

5. Low Widow
    First pic-Low widow broke soil
    Second pic-2 days old

I'll label them since their both in yellow cups n no one gets confused

Attached Files:

6. Is it normal for auto leaves to grow like this? The leaves on the AK look a lil twisted..feedn nothin but PH'd distilled water..I've never had plants grow like this.

Attached Files:

7. I added two more 23watt cfl's and the leaves straightened right up..I hope someone pops in n says hi atleast haha..I was hoping to not make this a solo boring journal. Should have my Y sockets in today..soo I can make a better light fixture. I should be getting my Rootech clone gel also..I'm gonna start cutting some clones from that bagseed of FL bud I got before I moved =) pretty nice taste n hiigh for random bagseed! I'll throw a pic up while my autos are lifting weights n gettn bigger for some updated pics

8. My Florida trees..I have 8 years of smoking this same bud..many many memories! Soo instead of my rastafari homies in FL sending me seeds..I'm just gonna try to clone this one plant..it's been on a 24 hour schedule..too many memories to just quit smokin this bud =) I'm also gonna keep my autos on a 20-4 schedule..that's what the breeder suggests

Attached Files:

9. What is the temperature inside the box, when all the lights/fans are on and the lid is closed?

10. #10 Cityboyz239, Jul 22, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2016
    Sweet! I finally have company haha..right now I just have a 80mm case fan on top..a bladeless fan in middle ..a very small case fan for intake at bottom and a 3 inch passive intake cut out at bottom waiting for another case fan in mail to replace the tiny one..the temp stays at about 76-78 no higher w/ the lid closed all the time except to water..I have a big variety of cfl's here..right now I'm using 2 13w at 835 lumens each..2 23watt at 1600 lumens a piece and a 2ft 17 watt floro tube..1,093 lumens..I'm not a light pro..soo I'm gonna post all the bulbs I have and see if I can get opinions from people on which would be best..thanks for stoppn in

11. These are the bulbs I'm working with...

17w Floro tube 7800k 1093 lumens
    3 Daylight 23w 5000k 1600 lumens each
    2 13w soft white 635 lumens each
    1-13 watt soft white 2700 k
    2 14w 2700k 635 lumens

12. Got my Y sockets today..had to order from Amazon cause every hardware store around here can never keep them in stock!? Temps been at 78 all day..should be gettn another case fan in tomorrow. Still can't decide if I want to line the insides with reflective material or not?

Attached Files:

13. That plant u posted a pic of looks nice. Cool grow setup im interested in how the low widow turns out. I've never seen that one before.

14. #14 Cityboyz239, Jul 23, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 23, 2011
    Thank you..! I went through storage and found a bunch more totes..soo I think Im gonna build another one and grow both indoors. Ive never heard of low widow either till I was searching seed banks..I love white widow strains soo i figured I'd check it out. I've heard alot of good things about this AK also! Thanks for checkin it out..I update quite often..Im addicted to Grasscity now haha..I'll check out your journal..how did you post a link to it? I'll keep in touch

15. I just completed my Pakistan Ryder grow a month ago with great results using a rubbermaid bin, CFLs, and LST. Looks good so far. How long do these autos stay in veg before they go into flowering? If their veg time is decent id add more 6500k daylight bulbs.

My autos loved FFOF soil so im sure yours will too. One of my leaves twisted in the beginning but it will not affect the plant and will grow out of it.

Looks good so far, gonna keep an eye on this grow. :bongin:

16. Sweet! How'd ya like the Pakistan? That's one on my list of autos I wanna try too. Was yours set up similar..I see alot of people turn the top upside down n attach it..I was tryin to be a lil more stealthy. I'll throw some more high k bulbs in..should I mix them with the soft 2700's? I just checked my low widow this morning n one fan leaf is growing way slower than the other side!? I'll take a pic n post it..thanks for following..I'm on here daily soo I update n get on here quite often

17. For autos I've been hearing most people mix both bulbs into the grow for the whole way.

18. Low Widow..I've never had a fan leaf grow alot quicker than other side? Is this something to not worry bout? I looked up info on autos but couldn't find anything..the smaller leaf is green and healthy just smaller?

Attached Files:

19. Yes i have a very similar setup, the link for my grow journal is in my sig. Just click on it and it will take u there. Yes mixed spectrum is good throughout the grow but id have more 2700k in there when it starts budding.

Yes i absolutely loved pakistan ryder and would recommend both the pakistan and afghan ryders. Very durable plants, fast growth and a great yield for autos. I kept my paki under 24/0 through the entire grow.

20. As for that leaf, it prolly just a mutant leaf. Im posative it will grow out of it.