Rubbermaid Build HELP PICS

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by cacapipi, Mar 17, 2011.

1. yeah they're not compatible with carbon filters so i might trash that idea. This is a lot simpler than I think I'm making it lol. I should just make 2 holes both on opposite sides the in air will be coming from the bottom of one side and the out will go through the top of the other side. Then for the lights i guess i can add a lil fan to cool them down a bit lol. BTW while growing should the fans be turned off with the lights?

2. i leave my fan on just for circulation

3. Got my fans on tonight! going to look at how I will add the carbon for exhaust.

Attached Files:

4. #24 rppd on tr33s, Mar 21, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 21, 2011
    First off, as others have stated, temps and light leaks are going to be your biggest problems. I run a 12v computer fan in my rubbermaid, and it works well enough. A small oscillating fan would be a great addition though. As far as light proofing goes...you will fail. Whether you use paint, mylar, or something else, light leaks are almost surely going to happen with the rubbermaid tubs.

As far as a carbon filter goes, there are a few threads on here on the subject of DIY carbon scrubbers. I'll see if I can dig a link up here for ya quick...

http://forum.grasscity.com/do-yourself/273604-small-carbon-filter-diy.html

That's just an example, there are many more floating around on here too.

If you'd like to see my first rubbermaid grow completed, take a peek at my grow journal in my sig. It's far from impressive, but should give you some ideas about how you're going to make such a small space work for you.

5. Your box looks sick! As far as my light leakage I'm not too worried about it, the box will be in the corner of my closet hard to see. I was thinking of having one of those white 5 foot 2 slot extension cords squeezed in by my intake. By doing this I will eliminate making more holes for cords and all. Btw this is for 1 plant at a time.

6. Thanks man, it's nothing special but it gets the job done for now, and will soon be turned into a mini-mother box. You might not be worried about light now, but when that plant is in full flower and the box is glowing like a night light (mine does sometimes :eek:) you'll rethink that. make sure that there is something in front of it blocking the light, because anyone who comes into the room and sees a glowing box is going to be asking questions ASAP. For cords, I ran the smaller 12v wiring through the vent holes, and the wiring for the lights runs between the lid and top lid of the box - I just cut a small notch into the cover for the wire to run through and then did some extra light proofing where it runs through. Hope that helps, if you have any more questions be sure to ask!

7. yeah dude this box is going to be cluttered with whats usually supposed to be there, my cloths, shoes large pillows wont be seen unless u dig through my stuff lol

8. btw I'm about to use foil paper unless you know something really important why I shouldnt use it lol

9. Foil paper...? if it's anything like aluminum foil it can/will create hotspots (and possibly burn your plants). Either just go with mylar/emergency blankets or flat white inside

10. white paint or mylar man....and the white paint might chip off because of being sprayed on slick plastic...i have 2 mill mylar in mine and it still glows a tad bit but that doesnt matter in my situation. the emergency blankets are made to reflect heat not light and they are super thin and pretty much transparent in front of a light.

11. oops I meant to say aluminum foil lol. Yeah I guess I won't be using it. Hey I just found my old fish tank carbon filters in the garage so stoked. Now I have to engineer my exhaust.

12. take a look at my grow, its similar to yours. inside a Rubbermaid and all, only difference is that i raise the top as they grow.