Round Leaves?

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by Sovay, Jul 16, 2009.

1. #1 Sovay, Jul 16, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 18, 2009
    ------Update at the end of the page :) ------

Me again!
    I'm on my second round of seeds, and these have been going for perhaps two weeks or so. I've had them outside (in the tennessee sun) until I got my lighting system set up (metal halides for veg, sodium for flowering) The leaves are looking lovely and green, but at this point the little round seedling leaves are beginning to yellow. Is this ok? if not then what should I do about it? Do they need more/less light/water? I have them in plain organic soil at the moment, when should I give them a soil upgrade?
    Sorry for all the questions, I'm a total newb in this :)[​IMG]

2. think it looks small for 2 weeks, can u give more info on lights etc watts? how often do u water? have u used nutes yet? as its bit early id say if u have

3. The round first leaves (cotyledons) will yellow and die off. A lot of growers take this to mean it's time to give them their first (light) feeding of nutrients.

4. Cotyledons supply the plant with sugars until the serrated leaves take over. Then they can die off.

5. #5 Sovay, Jul 16, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 16, 2009
    As I said in my OP, they have been in natural sunlight until now. They were very slow getting going because of my paranoia. I killed my first seedlings somehow and so with these I kept them in a light place outside, but out of direct sunlight. They've only been going out in direct sun for the past week. They haven't been given anything except plain organic soil yet, but I do have two composters in my yard so plenty of fresh rich compost if that's good.

I water via misting several times a day, when the soil looks dry.

FenceWalker & cantharis;
    Thanks for the info on the Cotyledons! Should I add compost to the pots when the leaves actually fall off or just when they look dead? Also, how much should I add and what type? Is kitchen compost ok or too rich?

The lighting system I'm installing is going to be 400 watts, with a metal halide and sodium bulb for the different stages. They've been in the sun till now so how should I introduce them to the MH's? They're used to a day/night cycle so I'm not sure how I should set the lights.

Sorry I have so many questions! Like I say I'm a complete newbie :)

6. I've never been a fan of misting, but that might just be my personal preference. Several times a day just seems like a lot when you are used to watering the soil well and then letting it dry out (sticking a finger in the soil to the second knuckle is an easy way to check, if dry water again) before watering again. Several days (at least) go by before I need to water again.
    I don't have any experience with compost so I'll leave that to Cantharis, he grows outdoors I believe so he might be familiar with compost and be able to help with that. :)
    I personally am an advocate of 24 hours light (since cannabis is a C3 plant and doesn't require a dark period) but 18/6 or even 20/4 are popular choices. I'd just fire up the light and start them on the schedule you choose.

7. Fencewalker-

Thanks for the reply. I honestly just mist because I'm afraid to damage them physically with an onslaught of water, and my hose head is awesome because you can switch between modes the water comes out, and mist is one of them and I just love using it :) When I bring them in (as soon as the light system arrives) I won't be able to do that. I'll be going away for a month too soon so my husband will be in charge of caring for them, and he has something of a "brown-thumb," so I'm trying to gather all the information I can... I don't know how much water they like really. I grew an entire vegetable garden from seedlings this year so I've more or less been treating them the same way, I let the soil dry a little on top, then moisten it. So once they're in under a metal halide system, will watering once a day be enough?

I'm more than willing to give them 24/7 metal halide light, but I worry about the possibility of shocking them. I sprouted them and moved them outside to grow because I didn't have the adequate lighting yet, but there's no way I'm keeping them out there permanently (too many neighbors!) I'm anticipating having them indoors within the week. Should I perhaps start them on 14 or so hours of "sun" and then increase it slowly to 24 hours? Or does it really not matter?

8. Ok, fair enough. :laughing:
    You (or he) would be overwatering if you watered once per day, imo. Letting the soil dry out between waterings usually means at least 3 or 4 days in between. Of course this will depend on soil density, temperature, stage of growth, etc.
    I personally don't think it matters, but doing it like you suggested wouldn't be "wrong" or anything. :smoking:

9. What up Sovay, I wanted to see how the girls are doingunder the new HID lighting system?! I just tarted my 1st grow, hindu kush, attitude. I got fem seeds so hopefully all will be big good girls! I just wanted to see what to exspect in a few weeks!

10. Hey!
    Well we had a little accident with the pair (I've named them T'Pring and T'Pol, T'Pol is Greenhouse A.M.S, and T'Pring is either Big Buddha or Arjan's Haze, I'm leaning towards Buddha, I've been pretty lax about which seed is which.) The day or so after I brought them in and put them under the metal halides that started to get horrid brown necrosis on the base leaves, this progressed for a few days and the ladies were looking very sad and stunted. I ended up removing one of the main leaves that grew after the cotyledons on T'Pol, and both of the same leaves on T'Pring and they're now doing MUCH better. I'm pretty sure it happened due to nutrient burn, as after I flushed the soil it stopped. T'Pol is doing best, starting to really grow out a bit, and T'Pring is still recovering a bit.

I'll get some photos over the next few days, though they are both still VERY stunted and small for their ages. I live in hope :)

11. yeah my hindu kush seedlings have been doig good until this morning the litle round leaves are starting to yellow and shrivel up, which I think is normal but the 1st set of fan leaves are drooping a little bit too for some reason? Did you experience that when your cotyls died off? This my 1st grow and would love to see what you think? Thanks dude

12. MH also have a tendency to be hotter than HPS or (of course) CFL's so watching the thermometer when moving them under the MH is probably a good idea. :)

Kolaking, if you are talking about the first one fingered serrated leaves, mine generally die off sooner or later. If it continues up to the next node is when you need to figure out what you are doing wrong, imo. ;)

13. Yeah I am talking about the little round leaves and the 1st set of serrated, all 3 seedlings ar starting their 2nd set of real leaves!

14. Hey everyone! Remember my stunted little plant up there?

Two months later (after hanging out under metal halides and now sodiums) :

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The one on the right is Big Buddha (She's named T'Pring) and the taller one on the left is Greenhouse AMS (named T'Pol)

As you can see, T'Pring's budding is coming along, it's been going for a few weeks now. We *think* T'Pol is juuust starting to bud.
    Let me know what you think, this is my first grow :)

15. Thanks!
    It's so awesome to watch them grow and bud, you can see new growth everytime you look! Exciting stuff :)

16. So I'm new here and I started 2 plants they been going for 3 weeks now what do u guys think are they looking good any advice is welcome Screenshot_20191031-171603.png Screenshot_20191031-171603(1).png

17. 3 weeks?

The color is good.

Transplant those into fabric pots, add 20% perlite into your soil so the roots can breathe and spread.

When you transplant bury the stem a bit as they are a little stretched. Roots will pop out and make for a strong foundation.

These are like a week old
    Image.jpg