Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Rough Draft of my English Paper (Vocab is a little intense)

Discussion in 'Apprentice Marijuana Consumption' started by IheartBrownies, Apr 1, 2011.

1. #1 IheartBrownies, Apr 1, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 1, 2011
    Legalization of Marijuana for Recreational Use
    \t

One hundred sixty-two million people use marijuana on an annual basis. This number makes it the most widely used illicit substance in the world. (UN World Drug Report) For millennia the cannabis plant has been used for spiritual purposes. It is only in recent years that the usage of marijuana has come to bear the negative connotations that it does today. The prohibition of marijuana is often compared to the prohibition of alcohol and it has had similar results; a rampant underground market with little decline in usage. The legalization of marijuana for recreational use would be beneficial to the American populace because of the increase in the government’s annual revenue, the plants medicinal benefits, and the reduction of drug related crimes.
    \t

In this current period of economic turmoil the monetary benefits of legalizing the cannabis plant for recreational use outweigh the social benefits of maintaining its status as an illegal substance. In North America alone there are an approximate 29,400,000 users of marijuana annually, this is 10.3% of the population age 15-64. (UN World Drug Report) The economic stimulus of a new taxable crop used by such a large portion of the population would be immense. This is exactly what an Ex-Surgeon General who served under President Clinton believes “There are better uses for our resources, legalize marijuana for adults. Tax it; use the money for better things.” (CNBC) The taxation of cannabis isn’t the only money that would result as an outcome of legalization; the American government spends 7 billion dollars annually enforcing the prohibition of marijuana (Macmillian). These are funds that if legalization were to happen, could be relocated towards education and healthcare; areas that are currently seeing further budget cuts on an annual basis. And though the additional revenue to the economy would be of great use there are many other reasons that the legalization of cannabis would be beneficial to the general population, such as its many medicinal benefits.
    \t

It is a common misconception due to the government propaganda films of the mid 1900’s that marijuana has harmful effects on the body. These films would show people partaking in the use of cannabis (usually people of color) and quickly becoming murderous socio-paths with little control over their actions. This is a far from accurate description of the effect marijuana has on the body, in fact the health benefits of the cannabis plant outweigh the harm that it does to your body. The most dangerous aspect of consumption of marijuana is the form by which to you choose to consume it. Smoking the cannabis plant releases harmful carcinogens that could cause negative effects on the body, but this is true of consuming smoke from any substance, and smoking is neither the only nor the most efficient way of releasing THC (the active chemical ingredient in cannabis) from the plant. Older users of marijuana who have had the plant prescribed to them by their doctors prefer to have the marijuana cooked into baked goods, teas, and other less harmful forms of consumption. NIDA reports that there is no link between marijuana and lung cancer, and in states where it is legal for medicinal purposes it used to treat the loss of appetite and nausea that is caused by chemotherapy. (qtd. in Macmillian) Besides dealing with the effects of chemotherapy marijuana has also seen medicinal success as treatment for AIDS, Glaucoma, Multiple Sclerosis, Epilepsy, and Chronic Pain. (Macmillian) And for those worried that the legalization of cannabis would result in a whole generation of adults addicted to marijuana a former Surgeon General informs us that cannabis is not a physically addictive substance. And even greater than the millions of lives that would benefit from easy access to cannabis for medicinal purposes, are the thousands of lives that would be saved from the decline in drug related crimes that would result from the legalization of marijuana.
    \t

Almost every country in the world is affected by the illegal trafficking of cannabis, though it is an illegal substance everywhere in the world (some countries such as Amsterdam have allowed de facto legalization by not enforcing the prohibition) there is an approximate 45,000 metric tons of cannabis grown annually (UN World Drug Report). This has resulted in one of the most profitable black markets in the world with many states listing it as their number one cash crop. But with the prohibition of marijuana still in full effect on the majority of the planet every single person partaking in this business is a criminal. To quote from the Ex-Surgeon General “We have the highest number of people in the world being criminalized, many for non-violent crimes related to marijuana.” (CNBC), and when these people get caught (many of them young adults) they don’t just pay a fine; they face incarceration and being exempt from scholarships and positions in the federal government. If the current president Barack Obama (who has admitted to smoking cannabis in his youth) had been charged with possession of marijuana as a young adult no amount of hard work, intelligence, or effort could have gotten him to the position he is in now. It isn’t beneficial to society to incarcerate all marijuana users many of who are intelligent adolescent with successful careers in their future. Other than these mostly harmless crimes that wouldn’t exist as a result of the legalization of marijuana, there are much more violent crimes that would see a major decline, these crimes are those related to the Mexican drug cartels that receive 60% of their income by trafficking cannabis; mostly into the United States. If legalization were to occur cannabis and the billions of dollars that go along with it would be taken out of the hands of these drug cartels that use the money to fund turfs wars and the trafficking of hard drugs, and into the hands of America’s small business owners and corporations.
    \t

After careful analysis of the information provided it becomes evident that the main reason that cannabis is still an illegal substance is because society has been conditioned to think of it as socially unacceptable. In recent years there has slowly been a change in this thinking with California becoming the first state to legalize cannabis for medicinal use in the 1990’s. Even more recently nine other states have joined California in allowing cannabis to be prescribed for medicinal use, and it is soon to be on the ballot for fifteen more. The stimulus to our economy, the medicinal benefits, and the positive affects it would have on crime rates are all coming to the forefront in American culture with new documentaries, studies, and books being released regularly. To quote the former Surgeon General of the United States “We consume far more dangerous drugs that are legal; cigarette smoking, nicotine, and alcohol…we need to lift the prohibition on marijuana.”

Works Cited
    “Medical Marijuana.” Current Issues: Macmillian Social Science Library. Detroit: Gale, 2010 Opposing Viewpoints in Context. Web.
    United Nations. “2006 World Drug Report.” United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime. 2006 Web.

2. wtb paragraphs...

3. It messed up the formatting when I copy pasted it from the Word Doc, tried to to fix it a little.

4. Thanks for my new English Paper :)

5. #5 sierra114, Apr 1, 2011
    whoa bro u use opposing viewpoints? we just had to do a paper and use that. anyway;

minor gramatical issues, just proofread it aloud to yourself or have a friend do it, and your 3rd paragraph (the one that talks about the legality of marijuana) you definietly want to mention the decriminalization states alaska, colorado, etc. Annnnndddddd it would be EXTREMELY helpful if you cited the part from the union where there is that weed "conference" in DC and the cops just stood around and did nothing (that whole part of the movie ties in with your quote from the surgeon general)

Edit: other than that, fucking awesome job dude, youre a good writer :D :smoke:

6. Haha I actually dont mind, as long as your teacher will believe that you wrote it.

7. Yeah most of the problems are grammatical, and the intext paranthetical citations are pretty bad, but I'll fix that stuff for the final draft.

8. start from the beginning. chop chop!

9. #10 shemluck, Apr 1, 2011
    haha the vocab really isnt intense. you should see my psychology papers.

why are you putting the reference for the quote after the period? shouldnt it be bla bla states, "the quote goes here," (CNBC).
    seems weird to me.
    i'd also put the year of each source. (CNBC, 2007).
    but idk what your referencing needs are. depends on the class, and if you go to university, the faculty.
    referencing requirements are the bane of my existence.

good paper otherwise. enjoyable to read too.

10. Lol, thats not exactly advanced vocab but other than that, it's pretty good.

11. Lol nice. Your teacher is gonna know for sure know that you been smoking at lunch and coming back to class :smoke:

12. Well I didnt think the vocab was that intense either, but when I took it in to get edited that's what everyone kept telling me.

And yeah I'm pretty bad with the citations I didnt even cite all the sources I used at the end.

13. its the wording, lots of it should be re worded, say it out loud! that really helps. it shouldnt be difficult to read because of errors like that.

14. Yeah, reading over it I noticed a lot of it.

15. Capitalize the C in "Cannabis". It is a genus.

16. I actually wondered about that even while I was writing the paper but I thought that spell check would have fixed it for me if I had done it wrong.

17. #18 GxRay, Apr 3, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 3, 2011
    Posting my paper on Marijuana, brace for impact...
    FEEL FREE TO TURN THIS SHIT IN AS YOURS BRO

As of late, one of the most controversial issues is the debate over whether or not the United States should legalize the use of marijuana. First and foremost, it is important to remember why marijuana was even made illegal in the first place.

\tThe history and events leading up to the outlawing of marijuana in the United States consists of a series of completely illegitimate arguments, decades of slanted facts, complacency and willingness of the people to believe anything they are told, fear-mongering, and racism. The list of contributing factors is vast, and the timeline of the direct outlawing of marijuana has been included in an appendix.

\tMarijuana, or hemp, is one of the oldest psychoactive plants known to man. Traditionally, marijuana has been used for just about everything; from making plastic, using it as a fuel, making ropes, crafting clothes, consuming it, using it to cure illnesses, or giving it as a religious offering.

\tThe Chinese were always finding a new use for cannabis. The Chinese’s first use for marijuana was its seeds, which were consumed as food. This practice was the first of many uses for hemp, and dates back to around 6000 B.C.

Sometime around 4000 B.C., China began using hemp to make textiles. Remains have been found of hemp fibers from this period and from Turkestan a century later. The next big use for cannabis was discovered in 2727 B.C. This was the year in which the first recorded medicinal uses of cannabis were made in the Chinese pharmacopoeia.

From that time on, civilizations have been finding even more new, and interesting uses for hemp. One lesser known interesting fact about hemp was that Henry Ford built a car out of hemp plastic (which is 10 times stronger than steel), and that could run on oils from the hemp seed.

\tOne of the primary pro-legalization arguments is that by regulating use of cannabis to medical use in a few odd states, the federal government is infringing on the rights of the people. The United States of America has long been famous as a country where the government plays as minimal a role in citizens’ lives as possible, with very few restrictions and limitation.

Furthermore, studies show that the annual death toll caused by marijuana is zero. An expert quotes “In practical terms, marijuana cannot induce a lethal response as a result of drug-related toxicity.” Meaning that overdosing on cannabis is physically impossible. On the other hand, together, tobacco and alcohol are responsible for 520,000 deaths a year, and are the first and third leading causes of death in the United States, respectively.

\tI am unable to comprehend why our government would allow us to indulge in such destructive behaviors. Not only is partaking in acts like drinking and smoking detrimental to our health, It also puts others around us at risk. A man who sits at home and gets high every now and then is much less of a threat than an alcoholic who abuses his wife and/or kids as a result of his getting violently drunk.

\tThere are also many myths are misconceptions surround cannabis, and many of them are false (see “Marijuana Myths”). One of the most common misconceptions is that smoking weed can be/is just as bad for you as cigarettes. Not only is this untrue, but it’s completely ignorant. While smoking a joint may be one of the more common methods of consuming cannabis, it is neither the only method, nor very effective (it’s actually rather a waste, a joint contains only 28% of the THC content of the original marijuana leaf, and is the most ineffective way to consume cannabis). There are other, healthier, more effective ways.

Another act committed by our government that leaves me incredulous is the effort spent by the U.S. government to eradicate “ditchweed” marijuana. Ditchweed marijuana is a remnant of the hemp once grown by U.S. farmers. Nearly 99% of all hemp plants eradicated by the government are just harmless feral ditchweed, which contains so little THC, that smoking it would have no effects. Yet there have been reported cases of the National Guard sweeping down in helicopters to burn fields of harmless, feral hemp (later reported as being “marijuana”). Not only is it a wasted effort, it’s counterproductive.
    Feral hemp is also important for supporting gamebird populations in Missouri and Nebraska, and also is the only remaining germplasm from the hemp bred over decades in this country to achieve high yields and other important performance characteristics. By spending federal money for a government already trillions in debt, they are just destroying the ecosystems of local wildlife and tearing apart a valuable part of U.S. history.

If, instead of spending billions of dollars on the war on drugs, the U.S. government legalized, and taxed marijuana, its profits would be really considerable. And considerable profits are something our country is in dire need of right now.

A paper written by a David P. West, Ph.D., has a conclusion so perfect I would consider it blasphemous to alter it in any way. It reads:
    “Hemp is making a comeback around the world. Whether it will be a miracle crop, as some of its enthusiasts claim, or simply another important addition to world agriculture, is yet unknown. Much research and development remains to be done. Sadly, the drug enforcement agencies, by disseminating false information, have created a mythology about Cannabis sativa that ill serves the nation, its farmers, and its industry.
    We are one of the few countries in the world that continues to insist that we should outlaw a crop simply because one of its botanical cousins can be used inappropriately. Thomas Jefferson, who experimented with different hemp varieties and invented a brake for separating out the fiber from hemp, once wrote that the greatest contribution a person could make to his country would be to introduce a new crop. If Jefferson could see the roadblocks amassed against hemp today, how would he judge us?”

Appendix

When and why was marijuana outlawed?

California, 1913

The first state marijuana prohibition law was passed in California in 1913. The law received no public notice in the press. It was passed as an obscure technical amendment by the State Board of Pharmacy, which was then leading one of the nation's earliest and most aggressive anti-narcotics campaigns. Prior to the passage of the law, there was no indication that cannabis was a problem in California. The Origins of Cannabis Prohibition in California from California NORML

Utah, 1914

Utah outlawed marijuana in 1914. A number of Mormons moved to Mexico when polygamy was outlawed in Utah in 1910. When they returned to Utah, marijuana was one of the things they brought back with them. Marijuana was outlawed with a number of other common vices as part of Mormon religious prohibitions enacted into law.

Other state laws 1915-37

Marijuana was outlawed in 30 states by 1930. There were two primary reasons for the laws.

In the southwestern states, marijuana was outlawed because of racial prejudice against the Mexicans who used it. As one Texas legislator said, "All Mexicans are crazy and this stuff (marijuana) is what makes them crazy."

In the other states, it was outlawed because of fears that heroin addiction would lead to the use of marijuana - exactly the opposite of the modern "gateway" myth.

The Marihuana Tax Act of 1937

Marijuana was outlawed at the national level in the US by the Marihuana Tax Act of 1937. (Note that the US Government has traditionally used the spelling "marihuana".) There were a number of reasons given for its passage in the congressional testimony. The quotes included:

“Two weeks ago a sex-mad degenerate, named Lee Fernandez, brutally attacked a young Alamosa girl. He was convicted of assault with intent to rape and sentenced to 10 to 14 years in the state penitentiary. Police officers here know definitely that Fernandez was under the influence of marihuana. But this case is one in hundreds of murders, rapes, petty crimes, insanity that has occurred in southern Colorado in recent years.”

“I wish I could show you what a small marihuana cigaret can do to one of our degenerate Spanish-speaking residents. That's why our problem is so great; the greatest percentage of our population is composed of Spanish-speaking persons, most of who are low mentally, because of social and racial conditions.”
    “Did you read of the Drain murder case in Pueblo recently? Marihuana is believed to have been used by one of the bloody murderers.”
    “. . . A boy and a girl . . . lost their senses so completely after smoking marihuana that they eloped and were married.”
    “It is commonly used as an aphrodisiac, and its continued use leads to impotency.”
    “Practically every article written on the effects of the marihuana weed will tell of deeds committed without the knowledge of the culprit, while he was under the influence of this drug. . . . "A man under the influence of marihuana actually decapitated his best friend; and then, coming out of the effects of the drug, was as horrified as anyone over what he had done”. Then we have the case of a young boy in Florida. The story runs as follows: "A young boy who had become addicted to smoking marihuana cigarettes, in a fit of frenzy because, as he stated while still under the marihuana influence, a number of people were trying to cut off his arms and legs, seized an axe and killed his father, mother, two brothers and a sister, wiping out the entire family except himself." “

From Additional Statement of Harry Anslinger from Transcripts of the Congressional Hearings for the Marihuana Tax Act

There was no credible evidence that any of these statements were actually true.

Marijuana Myths

Myth: Marijuana Can Cause Permanent Mental Illness. Among adolescents, even occasional marijuana use may cause psychological damage. During intoxication, marijuana users become irrational and often behave erratically.

Fact: There is no convincing scientific evidence that marijuana causes psychological damage or mental illness in either teenagers or adults. Some marijuana users experience psychological distress following marijuana ingestion, which may include feelings of panic, anxiety, and paranoia. Such experiences can be frightening, but the effects are temporary. With very large doses, marijuana can cause temporary toxic psychosis. This occurs rarely, and almost always when marijuana is eaten rather than smoked. Marijuana does not cause profound changes in people's behavior.

Myth: Marijuana is Highly Addictive. Long term marijuana users experience physical dependence and withdrawal, and often need professional drug treatment to break their marijuana habits.

Fact: Most people who smoke marijuana smoke it only occasionally. A small minority of Americans - less than 1 percent - smoke marijuana on a daily basis. An even smaller minority develop a dependence on marijuana. Some people who smoke marijuana heavily and frequently stop without difficulty. Others seek help from drug treatment professionals. Marijuana does not cause physical dependence. If people experience withdrawal symptoms at all, they are remarkably mild.

Myth: Marijuana is More Damaging to the Lungs than Tobacco. Marijuana smokers are at a high risk of developing lung cancer, bronchitis, and emphysema.

Fact: Moderate smoking of marijuana appears to pose minimal danger to the lungs. Like tobacco smoke, marijuana smoke contains a number of irritants and carcinogens. But marijuana users typically smoke much less often than tobacco smokers, and over time, inhale much less smoke. As a result, the risk of serious lung damage should be lower in marijuana smokers. There have been no reports of lung cancer related solely to marijuana, and in a large study presented to the American Thoracic Society in 2006, even heavy users of smoked marijuana were found not to have any increased risk of lung cancer. Unlike heavy tobacco smokers, heavy marijuana smokers exhibit no obstruction of the lung's small airway. That indicates that people will not develop emphysema from smoking marijuana.

Myth: Marijuana Causes an Amotivational Syndrome. Marijuana makes users passive, apathetic, and uninterested in the future. Students who use marijuana become underachievers and workers who use marijuana become unproductive.

Fact: For twenty-five years, researchers have searched for a marijuana-induced amotivational syndrome and have failed to find it. People who are intoxicated constantly, regardless of the drug, are unlikely to be productive members of society. There is nothing about marijuana specifically that causes people to lose their drive and ambition. In laboratory studies, subjects given high doses of marijuana for several days or even several weeks exhibit no decrease in work motivation or productivity. Among working adults, marijuana users tend to earn higher wages than non-users. College students who use marijuana have the same grades as nonusers. Among high school students, heavy use is associated with school failure, but school failure usually comes first.
    Myth: Marijuana Kills Brain Cells. Used over time, marijuana permanently alters brain structure and function, causing memory loss, cognitive impairment, personality deterioration, and reduced productivity.

Fact: None of the medical tests currently used to detect brain damage in humans have found harm from marijuana, even from long term high-dose use. An early study reported brain damage in rhesus monkeys after six months exposure to high concentrations of marijuana smoke. In a recent, more carefully conducted study, researchers found no evidence of brain abnormality in monkeys that were forced to inhale the equivalent of four to five marijuana cigarettes every day for a year. The claim that marijuana kills brain cells is based on a speculative report dating back a quarter of a century that has never been supported by any scientific study.

Myth: Marijuana Impairs Memory and Cognition. Under the influence of marijuana, people are unable to think rationally and intelligently. Chronic marijuana use causes permanent mental impairment.

Fact: Marijuana produces immediate, temporary changes in thoughts, perceptions, and information processing. The cognitive process most clearly affected by marijuana is short-term memory. In laboratory studies, subjects under the influence of marijuana have no trouble remembering things they learned previously. However, they display diminished capacity to learn and recall new information. This diminishment only lasts for the duration of the intoxication. There is no convincing evidence that heavy long-term marijuana use permanently impairs memory or other cognitive functions.

Myth: Marijuana Causes Crime. Marijuana users commit more property offenses than nonusers. Under the influence of marijuana, people become irrational, aggressive, and violent.

Fact: Every serious scholar and government commission examining the relationship between marijuana use and crime has reached the same conclusion: marijuana does not cause crime. The vast majority of marijuana users do not commit crimes other than the crime of possessing marijuana. Among marijuana users who do commit crimes, marijuana plays no causal role. Almost all human and animal studies show that marijuana decreases rather than increases aggression.

18. Is this supposed to be a research paper, or a position paper?
    I'm assuming research.
    Are you allowed to use personal pronouns in your paper because I noticed a couple?
    Are you supposed to use parenthetical citations and cite your sources?
    You should probably have a conclusion, not sure though, not familiar with this format.

19. good shit, i would have included why it was made illegal, but as brownie^ said it depends on what kind of paper it is. Talking about how the first anti-marijuana campaigns were a result of the cotton industry is a huge selling point on the initial brain washing of our country (i feel like i should be saying "man" after all this)