Rosin Press on Amazon and ebay. Thoughts?

Discussion in 'Smoking Accessories Q&A' started by Aksarben, Dec 9, 2019.

1. I am looking at a Rosin Press on Amazon and what appears to be the "same" design/model as well on ebay, but cheaper. I include a link to the one on Amazon. Nice thing about Amazon, even though it costs a bit more, I can specify that they donate to NORML if I use the link.

What are yout thoughts? I don't need or want to press a lot of rosin, as 2" x 3" obviously will be limited to small amounts. It is heated top and bottom and can adjust the pressure to about 1000 pounds. Lot more pressure than I can do using just a 2" flat iron hair straighner, but a lot more pricey.

How much rosin can you get form most buds? More specifiallyl, how much rosin would one get from each gram oof flower?

My PAX 3 has a special oven attachment for concentrate. Use high heat and a piece about the size of a grain of rice. Would like to try this sometime.

Has anyone here used this one, or know someone who has? What kind of feedback is ther for this rosin press?
    LINK: https://tinyurl.com/wq46mq2

Looks like a nice little unit. Around $141 on ebay.

2. I have never used a press of any type....but I would think its strain and flower dependent on how much you'll get.....I too have been eyeing presses for a near future purchase. I personally just feel more secure using amazon....but to each their own.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Check out CL, offerup and letgo first may be some deals on there

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

4. What I'm more interested in, rather than deals, is how much rosin do you normally get from each gram of flower? Does this machine do a good job?

5. While yield is definitely going to depend on the press as far as heat and pressure consistency go, the flower itself will be a huge factor in your yield. I have friends who press flower, and their returns can range from 10-30% depending on the strain at the same heat and pressure

6. 20% is generally a good amount to aim. Any good quality rosin press will do well. It is mostly dependent upon humidity and flower quality.

I know you aren’t worried about it but why contribute to more pollution. There are people who bought presses who aren’t using them so why buy a press that was manufactured when it was not necessary to manufacture one. If you don’t buy a used one then a used one may just end up in the trash heap and the plastic will eventually end up in the ocean where it will decompose into micro plastics. So any bit any of us can do to prevent that we should try to do whenever possible.

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

• Like Like x 1
  7. If you only care about yield and that's the only question you keep asking, don't make rosin.

Those of us who make rosin, do it for the qaulity. It never returns as much as those fools butane blasting .

8. I'm not asking over and over about6 yield, but I would like to know about how much yield one should expect from a good pressing. It is a way to determine if the press and temps are correct and working as they should. I've never pressed flower for rosin, so no idea on how much is expected, but I would like a ball park figure to see if the machine does it right and if "I" am doing it correctly.

• Like Like x 1
  9. I bought the duylek 1005. I found that you don't get much of a return off of dried bud or bud that's been cured. I'm just getting ready to harvest and I will try to do a little live fresh weed

Sent from my SM-N960U using Grasscity Forum mobile app

10. Bottom line, has anyone had first hand knowledge and use of this press I am looking at? It appears to be small 2-3 inch. with decent heat on both plates, but sometimes the proof of the pudding is in the eating. I'd like to hear opinions about this little 10 lb press.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Just one more thing.... how long do you press in seconds or minutes at, what, 265F ??

12. So I have experience with several presses I started off with a personal press but Rosin Tech it was just OK I was not getting anywhere near 20 to 30% which I currently am with my dulytek or my larger rosin tech press. Of course they are more expensive but if you’re looking to spend 150 or so then personally I’d get a dulytek dm800. Its the same basic press but for one difference I’ve had several things go wrong with my presses over the last couple of years. dulytek has been the best company by far, the owner personally reached out to me when they replaced my unit. it just seemed like something I could have fixed with hot glue but they took care of it. Rosin tech was helpful when my bottom plate stopped heating up but it took a week for the parts and I had to hassle with several ppl. A quick email to dulytek and a couple pics and they overnighted the parts from Cali to TX with a BUNCH of extra stuff. I can’t say enough about the return I get on the flower I press either. I have the dhp7 v2 with the turn stand.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Not to blow y’all up but I’ve found the temp and heat depend on the moisture of the flower and of course the grade. I don’t have access to the best of the best even. What I do is use a boveda pack (personally I like 67%) in my container with the flower. Wait a few days and you’ll have really nice hydrated buds at a consistent moisture level regardless. My only complaint about my presses is they don’t have a pressure gauge to try and replicate that every time. Like 2,000 on first press at 250 for 60. Then 4,000 on second at 260-75 take out the puck in between each press and roll it up. The goal is to not have a blowout so try and pack it right from the get go and don’t apply too much pressure too fast or the flower goes everywhere. For u I would use a consistent amount like 1.5 g use the boveda and try and count how many presses for each time and increase pressure throughout the process. To me the goal is remove as many variables as possible then try different times and temps. So pressure, moisture and grade and strain.

• Like Like x 1
  14. This one press I look at, normally presses at 770 pounds and maximum of 1000 lbs. I was told that at 770 pound that only amounts to 128.3 PSI at 2" x 3" or 6 square inches. Now, I have seen video of guy putting flower into a cylinder and squeezing that down to make a "puck" but the puck size is not 2X3" bur smaller. Is that figuring right? The
    Dulytek DHP7 V3 7 Ton Hydraulic Rosin Heat Press puts out 14000 lbs (7 tons) over a surface of 6" x 2.5" = 15 in sq, so 14000 /15 = 933 psi for that area.

Can you get rosin at 770 lbs?

15. American standard measurements

Pressure PSI means pounds per square INCH ...
    Metric pressure is measured in BAR

16. My understanding is these types of presses cannot generate sufficient force to press anything more than a flower or two at a time. To press rosin you need 300 + PSI at the plant material and heat. Reasonable cannabis bud should return 20 % by mass in rosin. Trim etc 5%+ is its alright. (all weight are assuming fully dried)

The issue is you need 300+ PSI inside the actual flower. Remember there is a good bit of press absorption and shifting going on with in the bag. To really get 300-1000 PSI of pressure in your plant material you need a good deal more than 300 PSI at the plate. If you want to press a good size puck assume up to 70% pressure loss. AKA you want to be able to generate at least 1000 PSI at the plates to get 300 PSI inside the material.

17. Yes, quite familiar with those measurements. I work as an Associate Winemaker and we make both sparkling wine and also can hard cider. 1 bar is equal to 14.5 PSI So 6 BARS would be about 87 PSI.

Now lets say you have a 1" diameter puck or one that is 1.1875" (1 3/16" ) on the 1" puck is not the entire pressure, whether at 770 Pounds of force or 1000 pounds, concentrated on an area of roughly 1"?

18. 770 or 1000 Pound on a one inch diameter piston is 770 PSI or 1000PSI .

A 5 ton press will press 5 tons .. over a one inch area or a mile area its still will only exert 5 tons ..

I have never made resin , I do have a machine shop and could ,make my own press plate or piston and cylinder .
    But I don't know how to stop pieces of MJ from getting between the piston wall or cylinder and jamming up the piston ..

I believe heat would help to ..
    You can buy a use automotive press for about 100.00 bucks

19. So, plates that are 2" x 3" with 770 pounds "should" press 770 psi using the above example?

20. Doing a little web search I did find something worth sharing, regarding pressure and plates. I'll provide the link, as it contains very nice graphs and very good explanations on pressing. What they have found at this link is that 1000 lbs pressure is optimal for flower, and anything more than that and you risk getting plant materials IE chlorophyll etc. into the rosin. Also it appears that plate size is not as important as bag size or glower size. A 2" x 3" plate system at 770 pounds of force will exert the same force on a bag whether the plates are 2 x 3 or 8" x 12" Plate size is not important. Bag size is. When you press you are concentrating pressure on a smaller area o- the bag or flower - rather than the whole dimensions of the plates. A quote from their website:

"On a pneumatic press pressure is generated by compressed air which enters the machine and is distributed over the area of a piston. Pressure = Force / Area so Force = Pressure x Area. The cylinder on the Pikes Peak Press is 82.3 in^2. With 120 psi of air entering the machine we calculate 82.3 in^2 x 120 psi = 9,876 LBS. Since 2,000 LBS equals 1 ton we can see that the Pikes Peak pneumatic press generates approximately 5 tons of force. This is the force at the plates. However, what we really care about is the force at the bag.

We will now calculate the pressure at the bag using the equation Pressure = Force / Area, where area is the size of the bag. For example, the area of a 2” x 9” bag is 1.8” x 9” = 16.2 in^2. (1.8” is the true measurement inside the seam). If we plug that number in we get 10,000 / 16.2 = 617 psi at the bag. Now let’s run this calculation for our 2” x 3” bags. 1.8” x 3” = 5.4 in^2. 10,000 / 5.4 = 1,851 psi at the bag. As you can see the smaller the bag, the more pressure you will get. Think of a nail. A nail tip exerts a large amount of pressure on whatever it is traveling into because it has a tiny area. If you hit a hammer with the same force but drive the head of the nail into the wood rather than the tip it will barely dent the surface. This is because it has a larger surface area. When creating recipes for a specific batch of material, you will want to know the pressure at the bag that produces the highest quality and yield. You will be able to scale your recipe up or down in size with replicable results by maintaining a constant bag pressure. For example if we create a recipe that works well in a 2” x 3” bag and we want to scale up to a 2” x 9” bag we will increase the air pressure entering the machine, compensating for the larger bag area and maintaining a constant bag pressure."

Ergo, if your flower bag is only 1" x 1" you have 1 square inch and are pressing plates together at that spot. So 770 pounds is 770 PSI or 1000 pounds is 1000 PSI. 2 inches and it drops by half. What I would garner from that is small pressure heat plates and smaller pounds of pressure will hamper your overall size of "puck" " bag " or flower in-between the parchment. I intend to make 1 inch pucks to give uniformity to the pressing.

And, here is the link to the above copy-paste for further reading: The Physics Behind Rosin: Heat & Pressure

• Informative Informative x 1