Rosemary Oil for Spider Mites - Cheap and Effective!

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by GiMiK, Dec 10, 2012.

1. #1 GiMiK, Dec 10, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 16, 2012
    Hello, thought I would show this to people, as well as agreeing with this study based on what I've seen first hand.

Hope this helps people trying to find an organic, effective and cheap method of mite control, prevention and eradication.

I went out, bought a small glass vial of pure organic rosemary oil (15 mL) from my local health store, and have been using it in conjunction with neem and liquid silica to make a potent mite treatment and prevention. Do the smart thing and order online, it's much cheaper.

2.5 mL of Pure Rosemary Oil
    2.5 mL (roughly) of cold pressed neem oil
    3-4mL of Dyna Gro Pro Tekt (liquid silica)

Add 1 L (or 1 quart) of clean, warm water to this mix in your sprayer, shake well and apply.

Kills mites and eggs on contact, and the phytotoxicity of rosemary is roughly 12 hours. Still smells like rosemary for a day or so in my room after I spray thoroughly, though that's not a bad thing. :D

So my little back story to finding out about rosemary goes like this. Got some dirty clones recently, was stressed out upon finding out that's what we were working with. Love the genetics, but hate extra BS. Anyways, I sprayed them with an application of Neem oil, 1/4 tsp per 1000mL the first time and then 1/2 tsp every one after, repeated for roughly a week, with slow results. :confused:

So I searched up some more about a product I tried last year with great results, SNS 217. Found out the main active compound in it (as well as mighty wash to a lesser degree IMO) was rosemary.

So then after a good bit of digging and a lot of worrying about experimenting with something new, I settled on my current mix above. I applied that dosage mix to roughly 3 week old clones. Later that day when the lights came on I went to check them. No mites anywhere, although a few eggs persisted. Not many, maybe less than 10%. 2 more applications like this later and there are no mites anywhere in that room.

The smell is a nice benefit too, I've read that the smell deters some airborne pests although I've never had a real issue with those anyways. Might be interesting for outdoors.

Plants are looking healthy and green, I hit em with this mix earlier today, combined with nitrozyme/liquid humic acid, and then transplanted them into 5g pots from 1g. It's been 3 total sprays involving rosemary now, and the plants seem to like it. No burns or bleaching, I'd advise people to try it and report back with what they see.

http://www.sierranaturalscience.com/Mite and Rosemary Efficacy.pdf

• Like Like x 1
  2. If I have issues in the future I'll definitely try this, in conjunction with a nightshade plant (tomato/potato/ etc) spray.

Sub'd to see results!

• Like Like x 1
  3. Very nice, thank you for useful links Chunk.