Roots smell and rotting on GH Waterfarms

Discussion in 'Sick Plants and Problems' started by chinlin, Nov 24, 2011.

1. Had 2 Hydro GH Waterfarms growing in my closet going perfect until I noticed on day 47 of flower that they were smelling and rotting. I kept a great log everyday and changed the water and nutes every 5 to 7 days. Started on the GH Flora Nutes while on veg then switched to Open Sesame, Beastie Bloom and Cha Ching while on bloom. I also had them on Carb Load while on bloom. The buds themselves never showed any kind of stress but one day I came home and the whole place smelled like dog shit!! Checked the plants and noticed the roots were a slimy brownish color. For fear of the buds being ruined I harvested about 3 weeks earlier than planned. Here's pics of the buds the day of harvest and just off the drying rack about to be jarred up. The plants were 2 Master Kush. I'm about to started the GH Waterfarm 8 pack and don't want this to happen again so if anybody has any ideas of why this occurred that would be much appreciated. I was thinking I should change the water and nutes more often. My ph was always around 5.5 to 6 with room temps and humidity averaging around 75* and H-40-55. Please help. I don't want to lose all 8. Thank you

Attached Files:

2. Lookin nice. I have a good idea why this happened but I don't think you'll like it....

simply put you should switch to organics. Hope ta see ya round GC organix. piece!

3. stinkineiss is either - anaerobic bacteria

or

sulphur (non absorbed to your plants)

4. sulfur is essential to plant growth & warding off pests. how much a plant uses varies from species to species. it is most likley a combination of both - the bacteria giving off a sulfur smell, because of sulfur of course. not put in the most scientific way but you guys get it.

my guess is probablly because you gave it contaminated water one day, and the fungi stuck. research has shown that pathogens tend to stick to the bottom of water resivours. i heard this from a university professor, just to show you im not bullshittin'. the liquid carbo load didnt help. giving it the carbo load was basically feeding the problem.

try cleaning your roots out with an H202 solution once every 2 or 3 weeks next time.

5. [quote name='"OSUBuckeyes"']sulfur is essential to plant growth & warding off pests. how much a plant uses varies from species to species. it is most likley a combination of both - the bacteria giving off a sulfur smell, because of sulfur of course. not put in the most scientific way but you guys get it.

my guess is probablly because you gave it contaminated water one day, and the fungi stuck. research has shown that pathogens tend to stick to the bottom of water resivours. i heard this from a university professor, just to show you im not bullshittin'. the liquid carbo load didnt help. giving it the carbo load was basically feeding the problem.

try cleaning your roots out with an H202 solution once every 2 or 3 weeks next time.[/quote]

Damn that about sounds right. The last watering I did I ran out of my RO water and used normal tap but ph'd it. I completely forgot until I just read your response. Also that H202 is that something I can get at a hydro store. A lot of this is all so new to me. Thank you for the info

6. no problem.

just want to expand on my thoughts above.

the sulfur given off by the bacteria would not be used by the plants. it would be harmful. but your plant does benifit from recieving sulfur (epsom salts AKA magnesium sulfate)