Roots Post Germination Ok?

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by weedhedge, May 4, 2014.

1. Hi All,

Please see pics below. I used the paper towel method and a few of the roots got a bit long. I planted them in the propagation soil kit and tried covering the top hole w/ soil but the roots have now (overnight) protruded from the top of the soil...should I just leave them be? Will the roots eventually turn around and head back down? 

Not sure if it matters, but the propagation kit i'm using is a foam structure that floats on a half inch water so the soil is constantly moist....

Thanks for any and all help!

Attached Files:

2. Do you have lights on them? If they are in total darkness, maybe they are confused on which way to grow?? Never had one do that, but you could try sprinkling a bit more soil on top and put lights on them....24/0 or 18/6 and see if they turn around. Just my two cents! :gc_rocks:

3. Thanks for the reply azfox...I do have MH light on them and my plan is to do an 18/6 light cyle (but man is it tough to choose, so much information on light cycles)...I've had the light on them ever since I placed the seedlings in the propagation kit (after they sprouted via paper towel method) so I don't think they should be confused.

So you think I should sprinkle some more soil? That's what I was thinking, but I've also read to just leave the roots alone given their delicacy...

4. If it were mine, I would sprinkle just a bit of soil on top and spray LIGHTLY with a misting bottle. It shouldn't disrupt the roots...just will give them a couple more days to 'get straight'....don't try to dig them up or move them around...a bit of soil, a bit of a mist to wet the soil you've put on, and see what happens! Seeds do odd things, for sure! Keep those girls rockin! They should be fine! 

5. Will do! Thank you!!!