Roots Organics soil PH

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by justiceman, Nov 15, 2009.

1. Hey guys I am aware that Roots Organics has a soil and soiless mix. However it sounds like the only difference between the two is the soil mix has peat in it. My question is are you supposed to Have the soil ph at 6.5 or 5.8?

2. this was stated in mels "organics for beginners"

Organic pH issues

I hear a lot of people asking or talking about the pH of their organic soil mix or organic nute solution and how they might correct or adjust it. pH in organics is not an issue like it is in synthetic growing.
    The best place to settle the pH issues in organics is within the grow medium. A medium rich in humates (humus) is the place to start. Humates work to "buffer" the pH of organic mediums and the nutes you pour (or mix) into it.
    Humates come from compost, worm castings and bottled humus. If you use a peat based medum, use dolomite lime to raise the pH of the acidic peat. Dolomite should be used in any soil or soiless medium to provide magnesium and calcium. But since we are talking about pH here, I'll mention dolomite lime's pH correction benefits.
    A medium of coir has a pH near neutral (or 7.0). But humates are still neded to allow uptake of organic nutrients that are outside a near neutral pH range.
    With an active medium rich in humates you can pour in nutes like Pure Blend Pro, Earth Juice and guano teas way outside the optimum pH range without worry. The humus will allow the nutes to be taken up through the roots, even at such an extreme pH reading.
    So throw those pH meters away folks and enjoy the ease and safety of organic gardening.

hope this answers your question,

thanks go to mel if so

3. Good post/good answer........my well water is 7.4 pH.........my runoff is 6.3. Our soils in organics take place of pH up/down. (the microbes help too, but that is another thread someday:D) +rep toke-tacular

4. I've been growing all naturally for a year now I'm, about to start my 4th Harvest! Small grows just for Headies!=) Strains I've grown all from Attitude, Royal Queen Seeds |pecial "ush, which for the $ is the best strain I've tryed, $ 20 for 5 fem seeds, very frosty finishes indoors in as little as 6 weeks! Also Dynafem Blue Widow, very dank! And currently growing hindu kush, and Greenhouses cannabis cup winning Big Bang, 1 of Arjans newest most talkd about strains also kind of inexspensive right now cuz its fairly new I guess?! Anyways I know I am still very green no pun intented in my cultivation experience, but I have fallen n love w the cultivation of this beautiful flower, I read magazines and grow books constantly if I'm not growing, even moving to Oregon to become a legal grower! Anyways I have never tested my ph! And I have grown some High times quality frosty ass funk!! I agree w the other dude up top, in organic growing or aspecially the TLO style organics there's no real need for ph ajusting! Good thread! Peace Grow Lovely!

5. Hey i am also using roots organic soil and coco..I use ionic grow for soil and coco,and greenfuse grow stimulator..thats just for veg period..I will be switching to flower soon and i plan on using greenfuse bloom, ionic boost, and ionic bloom for soil and coco..would it be to much if i addI liquid guano and worm castings?:confused:

6. To answer your question you want to be in the 6's ,5.8 is for hydro

7. and this folks is the reason why organic herb elevates you way more than non organic. Not to mention the organic cannibiniods that are not replicated in non organic mediums and nutes.

8. Hey man. This has always confused me. The RO's original potting mix is Coco based. Basically soilless. Chunky perlite. Pumice. PH buffer, organic nutes. Coco obv. Lol. I'm curious how the "soilless" roots organic differs. As the original is already not really SOIL. hmm. Anyways. After low pH issues in peet pots (never use those seedling death traps!) I put em into 1 gal roots organic original. And I'm up from low 5s to a touch Above 6. Cha ching.. 5.8 to 6.2, this RO will provide for you.. In straight potting soil ID need to be a bit higher. So. I jus don't understand the "soiless " difference. I'll look it up.. Peace

9. Wow way to revive an ancient post :D oops. Lol

10. Honestly i dont understand the term "soiless", unless its referring to a true hydroponic media like 100%perlite or rockwool or hydroton etc..i feel like its more of a marketing term then anything.

• Like Like x 2
  11. Not really a marketing term Scoob, but a very old nursery term for mixes that contain no native soil. It's a very loose term that requires common sense. The problems arise when one tries to put a fine point on a loose term.

Yes, the hydro media is soiless, but so is the peat based 'no till' mix you use, or a coco based mix. If it doesn't say "Top Soil", pretty much any bagged 'soil' is a soiless mix. Both of those Roots mixes are soiless as are FF's and just about all bagged mixes that I can't think of the names of.

Like I said, the confusion arises when a generic term is tried to be made specific.

Wet

• Like Like x 2
  12. But why does the inclusion of "topsoil" determine weather a mix is considered soil/soiless. ?
    Looking at the definition of "soil" it makes no sense to me.

"Soil is a mixture of minerals, organic matter, gases, liquids, and countless organisms that together support life on Earth."

(Wiki definition)
    Doesnt this definition describe all those mixes you mentioned that are considered soiless? Im genuinely courios.

• Like Like x 1
  13. IDK!!!!! LOL

*I* think the big thing is the minerals mentioned. Mainly rocks through erosion, weathering, whatever, over eons getting small enough for stuff to grow in it. Most native soil is way more minerals than organic matter. Not counting added rock dust, just about all the mixes contain very little in the way of minerals (decomposed rocks), but are mostly organic material.

To me, the 'soil' in soiless refers to nature made soil, over time and mostly minerals rather than anything we construct. Comparing a handful of your no till mix to a handful of native soil from the backyard illustrates my point.

But still, these are vague, generic terms that really have no solid definition other than you'll know it when you see it.

Wet

• Like Like x 1