Roots Organic vs. Fox Farm

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by Cloud009, Nov 19, 2013.

1. I have been thinking about switching up my nutrient line from Fox Farm to Roots Organic looking for an opinion from some one who has used both to kinda get a side by side comparison.  The guys at my local grow shop said Roots Organic all the way.  I am aware that nutes are personal preference I am just looking for the best bang for the buck.  All opinions and nutrient lines will be considered and appreciated.

Thank you

2. I've used both and both give fair results. I love the taste of fox farm but the freshness of roots organic is far better, providing a healthier faster growing plant with less problems. Essentially they are the same thing though. I believe roots organic has more perlite which I find to be a bit useless because I never over water my plants anyways. With roots organic I always add an extra 1- 1& 1/2 teaspoons of bat guano per bag. Not too much.

I go easy with the nutes, using only GH Vegan and CalMag to start. and then adding flouralicious bloom, micro, and cool bloom. I have no need for fancy ferts or sweetners. Less is more in my small grow room.

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

3. I was wondering more about the nute line compared to the soils. But that you for all of the soil information I will definetly take it into consideration and possibly making a mix of the two of them

4. #4 Doc-J, Nov 19, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2013
    I havent used the fox farms nutes but just switched to roots organic nutes and they have worked well so far. I got the player pack and it came with samples of their dry nutes.

5. I've used a bit of roots organic nutes but there are far better brands out there. Just depends on how technical you want to get. I like to keep it simple when using low wattage lighting like I'm doing now.

6. What nutes do you recommend Leafy?

7. Depends on how much light you have, size of pots and age of plants, types of plant, how many plants and what you want them to taste like, etc.

Give me one scenario or another and I can give you some options I'm familiar with.

There are so many choices.

The important thing to remember is that without a proper control over the overall PH in your medium and nutes, whatever is being fed to your plants is useless. Control your PH and all available nutrients can be absorbed and the plant can function to its fullest potential.

8. #8 Cloud009, Nov 19, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 19, 2013
    4-6 under a 1000 watt hps in 5-10 gallon pots and I always aim for a good taste.

9. See that's just unrealistic!

Ok, we all know that anyone can grow weed, now it's time to start growing smart.

Lets start with the light. 100watts? Organic soil and mild fox farm or any organic nutrients. You can use a sweetner but you wouldn't be able to use much to make a difference. It would have to be simple. And you wouldn't be able to properly flower 4-6 plants in large containers like those. Instead 2-3 (3 at most) young indica plants in 2-3 gallon pots would be more than enough because your light wouldn't be broad enough to handle any more. You need lots of fresh air moving in and out of the room. All this I'm telling you is to maximize yield per lumen and make the most out of your investment, as well as reduce stress on you and your plants.

If you had a 1000watt light, you would have a lot more options and you can get faster, bigger results that taste much more amazing and smoke a lot cleaner.

10. Quality is only as good as your lighting. 100watts is not enough, especially for 5-6 plants. If you want the best yield and quality, invest in at least a 600watt light setup. 1000w is the way to go tho.

Check out my grow journal at: Http://forum.grasscity.com/indoor-grow-journals/1187623-sensi-seeds-super-skunk-coco-grow.html?hl=sensi+seeds+super+skunk

11. roots organics>fox farm. and definitely more light. at just under 15,000 lumens for a 100w hps you only really have effectively 2 sqft of properly lit growing space. if you can veg&flower 4-6 plants in that space, perfect. otherwise, new light.

12. #12 jerry111165, Nov 19, 2013
  13. Sorry guys i lost my self for a second I would only do 2-3 in 10 gallon pots the 3-5 gallons were i would try 4-6 plants.

14. Sweetner is any additive that stimulates the beneficial bacteria in your soil, helping to augment your buds during the last few weeks of flowering. It's basically "sugar" for your roots. It helps the plant to smell and taste sweeter and grow semi larger over the same flowering time as plants that are not given sweetner. Given the right conditions in your grow scenario, the sweetner can help your plant live its life with less stress. But if you add too much it builds on the roots and you choke the plant, plus flushing becomes a bitch if you add too much.

I don't feel it's worth adding unless you are experimenting with potent sweet smelling strains or unless you have a large grow. And it's not very useful in a stealth grow because of the added terp boost causing yummy smells to be dispersed everywhere.

15.  This year I used advanced nutrients for the 1st time for bloom.  I used 3 blooms to tell you the truth.   Adv. nutrients, Humbolt and fox farm.  I combined Big bud, big ups and cha ching along with grow big for base nute.  I mixed in bud candy for sweetening and this has been my best harvest.   This is the 1st time I mixed brands but it worked good.   Adv nutrients is out of canada and is the next stage (I think) in pot growth.  I have friends who swear by Humbolt nutz. and fox farm so I used all 3. Reason is that the range of trace eliments and minerals are different in each. 
      My opinion and I have been told go organic but..... I have'nt yet, not with results I get and compliments as well.   Take care it's all about getting high.. :bongin:

16. #16 AugustWest, Nov 19, 2013

under 100 watts you're pushing it even with 1 plant in a 5 gal pot never mind 2 or 3 in 10 gallons.

i run 6 5 gallon pots under 2000 watts and feel like it's tight.

a 10 gallon plant gets pretty large dude.

17. Im not running a 100 watt Iam running a 1000 watt. I wouldnt waste my time or money on 100 watts with any plants that large.

lol was gonna say.. you said 100w in your post and i was like "is there even such a thing?"

19. LOL I think the smallest they make is a 150 or 175 watt.

yeah..

sorry for butting in on your thread.. but when i read multiple 10 gallon pots under 100w i had to say something :p :laughing: