Roots infested?

Discussion in 'Advanced Growing Techniques' started by bigkizzile, Oct 21, 2009.

1. Went to change solution in my DWC setup today to find the smallest little black worm looking things living in the roots. No visible damage to plant and root ball looks completely normal besides these little fuckers. Anyone have an idea as to what these are? Gonna be extremely difficut to take a pic, but they are at the most 1/8th of inch long and black in color. Is my grow gonna take a dump here shortly becuase of these? Or maybe ill be fine? Any way to get rid these without doing catastrophic damage to my 4th week flowering ladies? Please GC lend some knowledge or experience.

2. look up "hydrogen peroxide" in the forums and talk to people at your local hydro store if you want to kill anything in your root mass. be aware that h2o2 kills anything else living in the root mass, too, including beneficial bacteria and fungi that are necessary if you're growing organically.

3. Seems like a fungus gnat. Look for flies also when you move the plant leaves. In order to kill the gnats with hydrogen peroxide you'll have to use quite a bit and will also do damage to the roots.

There aren't too many chemical out there that will kill the gnats in the water. Azamaxwould work but its not cheap. Talk to your local LHS or Nursery and see if you can get Nemesis which is a nematode that will eat the gnats larvae.

A pack of Nemesis will usually do about 30-50 gallons of water and can be stored for three months in the fridge.

4. Try some SM-90