Roots Have Outgrown Pot And Are Visible Help

Discussion in 'Hydroponic Growing' started by davidwest69, Apr 26, 2014.

1. hey guys i recently looked at the top of my wilma and theres loads of roots there!! isnt this bad that the roots are exposed to the light?? ALSO IS MY FIRST GROW

what should i do??

[​IMG]

theres a steady flow of constant water there because im feeding 24/7... (above)

[​IMG]
    theres even some on the other side...

[​IMG]

are these ready to put into flowering??? thanks guys

2. They look ready for flowering. I don't know about the roots though. I would just ignore them personally. Maybe you could add some perlite to the tray to keep the roots from rotting. Or you could cut them off.

3. If this was my situation personally I would just ignore it. Maybe the pot is to small or either the plants either wasnt gettin enough water or it loves the water. I never had this situation but this is just my thoughts

Sent from my C5302 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

4. Did you sex your plants yet?

Sent from my C5302 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

5. I've never sexed a plant. What does that mean?

6. First you gotta take it to a nice dinner and tell it how pretty it is.

7. #8 snoopdog6502, Apr 28, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 28, 2014
    Looks like you are running an ebb and flow bucket system? Cover the roots with perlite is a good idea.

You can flower them, they look lovely by the way..

8. Thanks for the kind words! :metal: It's my first grow so im really nervous when something happens. I'm using a top feed dripper system.

I treat my plants like my children. :devious:

I took cuttings from a female blue cheese plant... :confused:

9. How do you find the new wilma, im presuming you used the old ones.

It seemed a bit pointless to have a tap you turn to feed, it takes away the timer and the fact you dont need to worry about being around to water. I dont understand why they did this.

10. I'm not sure which one I have apparently it's the new one.

The tap I don't understand why that's there to be honest.  :confused_2:

I love the Wilma system, I have the 11L pots, the one thing I've learnt about this particular incident is to drill some more holes in the bottom of the pot and also on the tray underneath the pots to allow any roots to run directly into the reservoir and not on top of the tray in the tunnels like my pictures show. :smoke:

11. Dont worry about the roots they will be fine, just cover them if you can, a strip of black plastic will work well.

I made my own wilma system from garland trays, they work really well and were a fraction of the cost of a wilma.
    Im with you on the tap, i like the fact the system is bigger so plants have more space but that tap is fucking stupid.

12. If the roots are able to grow let them grow, more roots the better, as above though perhaps covering them in blackout plastic is a good idea to keep them healthy