ROOTS, BLOODY ROOTS!

Discussion in 'Micro Grows' started by From Elsewhere, Apr 8, 2016.

1. Hats off to anyone who gets the reference. Sepultura, anyone?

Anyway, it's only day 18 for my Lemon Haze Autos. So far, they seem to be very healthy, which I'm really happy about. One of them even started showing her first pistils, today! So, tonight I was watering, and noticed something on both of them... They both have roots showing through the drain holes. Now, there may be some explanation for this. One of the soils I'm using (Light Warrior) has humic acid, which is supposed to expand root zones and facilitate vigorous root growth. But also, I've been watering with Hydroguard, which does the exact same thing -- even more so. Still, it surprised me, because this would indicate that they've already grown significantly further down than they have up.

Now, yes. These are very small grow containers. To give you an idea, my last grow (which was an auto, as well) was less than a foot tall before harvest. That plant definitely had problems, but it was my first time, and there was just a chain reaction of things that went wrong. But I don't recall ever seeing her roots through the drain holes.

My question is, should I be worried? Are my girls going to run into major problems if they become root-bound? As I understand, this particular strain harvests in 65-85 days from seed. Thoughts?

• Like Like x 1
  2. Ive seen people harvest in solo cups. I never looked into it but try looking up root pruning

Ive also heard people squeeze the solo cups hard so the roots break and grow in different directions but idk if im going to be honest

Stoners journey to cannabis

3. When a plant goes into soil, either from sprouting or by clone, the very first thing it sets about doing is developing it's root system. That's why we use the small containers in the beginning...to confine the root space so it doesn't take the plant so long to get rooted in. Starting a small seedling or new clone out in a 10 gallon smart part is going to take substantially longer for the plant to "root in" than it would if you planted it in a Sit olo cup...which is what we use, by the way. Once the plant has become larger than the cup (which generally means your plant is slightly root bound and that's what you want at transplant)...wider and taller, it's time for a repot and fresh soil to the next size up...again, confining the root space and thereby getting back to growing foliage. While the plant is developing it's roots, the foliage will just sit there. The plant doesn't use any water to speak of during that time either. So, until you see that the plant is using water again and the foliage is growing again, your roots aren't ready. Using this potting technique provides the plant with the necessary nutrients it needs for good growth and health without having to pour tons of chemicals on your plants. I have learned throughout the years that you can grow and harvest a significant yield from a healthy plant without having to give it a ton of chemicals. Using this method for repotting, we typically don't even start nutes on ours until a couple of weeks before they go into the flower cycle because I've used the soil to supply the nutrition for the plants.

If your plants are root bound, it's not a big deal. That just means you'll be watering and feeding more often if you don't pot them up into a larger container. If you keep them like this, expect them to become further root bound as time goes on and you will become totally responsible for all their nutrition. But no, roots coming out of the bottom of the pot is not a big deal.

Go to the new grower threads and do some reading about the basics of growing these plants in a fake environment. It's not like other gardening I've done all my life and if you don't take the time to learn the basic fundamentals of the process, you're going to end up with every problem in the book before you get any harvest off one. With a bit of reading and priming your brain with the right info, you can cut the majority of that out. People put months into figuring out their setup to grow a plant under but most never bother to consider that they might need to put some thought and research into finding out the correct way to do it. There are several threads there specifically for the new inexperienced grower that contain the basics that all new growers have to learn...one way or another...if they want to be successful at this. Read up on: When to water. How to water. Lighting. Nutes: What they actually are and when they should be started. Grow media. pH management of water and feed solution. Etc. It may seem overwhelming at first, but knowing what you're doing is the difference in failing or succeeding at getting a plant to the end. Good luck. Hope things work out well for you. TWW