Rooting clones

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by zpyro, Jan 11, 2009.

1. #1 zpyro, Jan 11, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 11, 2009
    So I've noticed a couple of my clones turning kinda yellow, searched around and read that it usually is a result of the plant putting its energy into making roots. Judging by this pic, I'd say that's correct :cool:
    [​IMG]

I think I'm gonna grab my macro lens+dslr and see how they look REALLY close up :D

Here's another one that seems to be showing the same puffy, white tissue growth as the one that actually has roots forming
    [​IMG]

And here are my clones.
    [​IMG]
    The ones with the cut leaves are the older ones, I took them on the 6th. The uncut ones are from the 7th, and I didn't cut them because I wanted to see if it actually makes a difference, as I've read that cutting the leaves in half reduces the amount of tissue the cutting needs to support, and focuses growth on the roots instead of the leaves. I'm just glad I've got at least one clone to root, I plan on using one or 2 as mothers from which I can take more clones. The mothers of these cuttings are in flower mode now so I'm not taking any more cuttings from them. I plan on eventually having two dedicated grow rooms out where the current one is, I just have to buy a door, insulate the walls and drywall, build a cab and get more lighting and ventilation stuff. I'll have one room for veg and the other for flower. I'm keeping the clones in my room, my "clone cab" is just one cabinet of my desk, lined with mylar with a cardboard flap door. I put a couple of CFLs in there, I have a humidity dome (how long should the dome stay over them?) and a seedling heat pad. I could keep a plant or 2 in the cab through veg if I LST'd them like the mother plants, whicn I plan on doing again to the clones when they take root. I started off trying to use a bubble cloner but I couldn't get the hang of it. Went back to the old faithful rockwool. I've also added a small amount of SuperThrive, ThriveAlive and the flowering nutes I have to the water I've given the clones. I also took the time to soak the cubes in 5.5 pH water before using them.

So any other noobs @ cloning having issues, take the time to do things right and be patient and you'll be rewarded with roots! :hello:

2. Awesome close-up pictures. Yellowing is IMO a good sign of rooting.

3. cute clones.

4. Ima give you a +rep for photo quality nice pics

5. How Long did they take to show those signs of roots?

Have you had a humidity dome on them?

6. They look great! If its mostly indica strain they take forever to clone and if the plant was recently consumed some nitrogen. Other than that you clones look like their on the way to begin a root system. Take the dome off of them a few hours a day to lower the humidity.

7. I took the oldest cuttings a week ago. I took some more on the 7th, right after I switched them to flower. They're the ones with the uncut leaves, and they are starting to yellow as well. I haven't molested them to check so as to not cause any more stress to them like I have the others. I just figured I'd risk sacrificing one to show others what to look for, cuz I couldn't find anything when I was searching.

I have indeed kept a humidity dome over them, and a seedling heat mat underneath. The dome fogs up nicely, I have the vents slightly open as well

I hadn't nitrogen-starved the mothers, but I figured I'd still at least try, and apparently having plenty of N doesn't mean they won't root :D I have the vents open and air is able to flow through, since I'm home all day every day, every few hours or so I open the hood, check them out for any progress or problems, then spray them with the water, wipe down the inside of the dome and put it back over them

8. Oh here's the macro of the little root bud

[​IMG]

9. o0o ! it looks healthy man ! + rep 4 that sexy pic

10. lol you're supposed to say +rep after you actually give rep to someone :p

11. How long is the dome supposed to stay over them?

12. till they have roots and can live without it...

13. When rooting clones, the clones cannot take water up the main stem, as it has no roots.

So you need to keep the moisture in the air so the clones can take water in through the

leaves.

So if you use rockwool just wait till you see roots popping out the sides

14. #15 zpyro, Jan 13, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 13, 2009
    Actually I'm not sure if the leaves are able to take in water...the whole mechanism driving water up from the roots to the leaves is driven by the water exiting the leaves via stomata, which in effect "sucks up" water from the roots. I'm thinking the humidity simply slows down this process, because if there is more water in the air, less water will be evaporating from the leaves. Water is still able to transpire up the stem because the stem is cut under water to prevent an embolism and the flow of water is maintained by the damp medium, but obviously much, much less than if there were roots. If the air was kept dry, the water would evaporate from the leaves much faster than the rootless stem could provide (almost no surface area) and the cutting would die. I imagine cutting the leaves in half also aids in slowing down transpiration, because with half of the leaves you only have half of the stomata. The cuttings with the uncut leaves are also starting to yellow though, so it remains to be seen if cutting makes a difference

15. Good Job! I keep mine without a humidity dome on them, but i spray them with water mist about every hour and they do just fine.

16. Plenty of yellowing but I'm not sure it's a healthy yellowing...whaddya think

[​IMG]

17. Have you looked at the bottom of them for roots ? Where exactly are the roots going to go when they do form ?

18. into the rockwool...no roots yet

19. anyone???