Root Trim before flowering?

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by happygrowlucky, Feb 2, 2011.

1. Hey i got a quick question.

Im low on funds at the moment so i cant really purchase any supplies, so im stuck using 2.5qt pots ATM and also my grow cab doesnt have a whole bunch of room. What i want to do is trim the roots before i put it into flower so if it does grow, it'll have some room to grow.

Does this seem like a decent idea or should i just try to get bigger pots?

BTW, my plants are about 37 days into vegging so i wanted to flower them out now before they get too big. Just wanna see if this idea would work out okay or if you all have any other ideas i could try lmk.

Thanks

2. are these from seed or clone? (37veg in 2.5qts ima guess seed)

clones have no tap roots, so root trimming is a lot safer.
    (tho still not sure if i would do so before flowering)

i Personally wouldnt trim a plants roots if it was from seed. cutting off the tap root is like cutting off your dick....just dont do it =P

how much room do you have to the lip of the pot??
    can you pop the plant out and add some dirt to the bottom? or are they already "filled to the rim??"
    do you have anymore of the 2.5qt pots? can you cut the bottom out and stack them? bungee cord them together??

if you go to a nursery, they usually have "left over tree pots" for pretty cheap. these are USED, so bleach the crap out of 'em.

can we see a pic of them? need to see what we are working with to improvise...

Gallon milk jugs cut and wrapped with tape???

3. #3 happygrowlucky, Feb 3, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 3, 2011

I'll post some pics when i can find my memory card for my camera.

yes they are from seed.
    their not filled to the rim but not much left to really work with. the pots are about 6" in diameter and 6" deep.
    i do have more of the 2.5qt pots. thats not a bad idea putting them together..
    gallon milk jugs wrapped in tape sounds like something i would do :cool:

Pics Added:
    Two plants. Both bagseed. seeing which will be the better of the two. i know its kind of slim to get females but i dont wanna be caught up with 10 plants trying to get a female cause its too risky.

Attached Files:

4. i would stack the pots then if you have'em.

the milk jugs are kind of a last resort.
    might stress the roots to much trying to squeeze them in there.

Dont worry about them being "bag seed" ...its what brought us the ChemDawg.
    with any luck they will be S1's. :hello:

Looks like you Might be overwatering a bit.
    what your Temp, PH and RH?

....ph LOOKS a bit high...

Greens

5. hey bro i just had a stoner stroke of genius...

take 3+ plastic grocery bags,
    put them 1 inside the other.
    fill bottom of bag-set with soil.
    de-pot your girl.
    giver her a Gentle squeeze over the bag-set. (to loosen up the soil/root ball)
    fill with soil.
    water thoroughly.
    take string and Loosely tie a slip-knot, holding the bag in-place around the stem.
    Jab repeatedly with a fork to create drainage/airflow.

should hold you till you get proper pots.
    Though it should be noted that some commercial ops (not necessary cannabis) grow in just a bag of soil, watered/fed thru drip lines.. then there are just "grow-bags" ...so you should be good.

GL bro, im sure its as easy as that... Greens

6. thanks a lot cyrate. i'll probably be trying something like the plastic bag trick. i might go to the dollar store and see what they got lying around there.

regarding my temps, pH and so on..not really sure o_O well my temps are about 75*F-80*F with lights on and off around 70*F. I dont have a pH tester but im sure the dark green color was from overwatering.

Im going to be flowering these soon(6 week veg) so hopefully i can find something to accommodate my (hopefully) ladies and probably flip the switch to 12/12 a week after replanting.