Root Rot Remedies for Organic Live Soil

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by Han-Bolo, Jun 17, 2019.

1. Whatsup everyone,
    Ive been dealing with an issue the past few weeks with a few of my ladies and after a few attempts at combating different possibilities, I think I have narrowed it down to root rot. I will be checking my roots later today. With that being said, do I have any options at treating it that wont harm my live soil and beneficial bacteria?

Thanks,
    Han

• Like Like x 1
  2. Root rot is the result of aenerobic condition in the soil due to overwatering (either too much water, not enough drainage, or both)
    Before you do anything, are you sure this is the case, what symptoms are you seeing. Post a few pics if you can.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 2
  3. #3 Possuum, Jun 17, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2019
    i agree with sc00bZ. there is no saving rotted roots, rather, if that is what the problem is you'll want to correct the cause of the problem so new roots can grow healthy.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Like Like x 2
  4. Do you have individual branches suddenly dying off or is the whole plant stressing? It could be root bound besides overwatered.

“You are unlimited!”
    Prepper420’s No-Tillin Adventure!

• Like Like x 2
  5. I've also seen some Fusarium type shit take down individual branches. A combination of Actinovate and greencure seemed to help if caught early.

P-

• Like Like x 1
  6. 3 Gal Pots for autos that are 10 weeks in. No branches are dying off just some of the lower leaves. I let the top inch of soil dry out before I water. Ive never really been an over-watering type but Im just perplexed. At first I thought it was a cal deficiency so I supplemented with some oyster shell powder. That didnt change anything so I went for some compost tea thinking it may be a Nitrogen deficiency. Did 2 alfalfa compost teas within a week span. Still the same. As far as the lighting goes, my PPFDs are 1400 in the middle and like 920 on the sides and 610 at the corners. I was at the recommended heights for the 550V2 set up I have. About a week ago I added my 2 blurples on the sides to get some reds added to the spectrum and get some more PPFDs to the sides and corner to try and even out the light distribution. The plants started getting worse, so I thought maybe too much heat due to temps being between 78-81 instead of 72-77 like it usually is. I turned the blurples off and temps went back down. At this point, it was still getting worse so I started to consider light burn since it seemed to be happening from the top down. I raised my lights and dimmed them a bit bringing my Lux from 70k+ lux to like 45-50k lux, so like 500-600 PPFDs if i remember correctly. Its been a few days with the lights raised so Im just waiting to see. I was asking about root rot because that was another issue I was reading up on and since the plants most affected arent fattening up like the others, I figured just in case I should look into it.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Maybe this is just me, but I don't like to change the light sources during flower.

P-

• Like Like x 2
  8. Honestly I dont see any signs of rot. The top roots where white, and down low it looked a little brown but not sludgy or anything like some of the pics I've seen online. I could drill some small holes around the sides to get some more aeration. 20190617_100518.jpg 20190617_100509.jpg

Sent from my SM-G892A using Grasscity Forum mobile app

9. My symptoms started before I added the lights. They just seemed to exasperate it.

10. I really don't like adding more light if the plants are stressing. In fact, just the opposite, I'll back off on the lighting. That's just my opinion.

P-

11. yeah I definitely shouldnt have added them lol.

12. Those plants dont look overwatered so I'd say the rot is not your issue. 1400ppfd is very high, are you supplementing with CO2?
    Honestly I think your issue is your pots are too small and the plant is rootbound. A light defoliation might help balance things out, get rid of all the yellow leaves IMO they are just sinks at this point.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  13. I have 2 exhale bags in a non sealed room so no lol. No Co2 meter yet either.

Ive transplanted autos early in flower but never this late so I dont know if thats even an option. Ill defintely defoliate a bit and see what happens.

14. I can't tell how big the plants are, but if you are at 70 days, in 3 gal pots with autos, I would totally expect that faded look. 3 gal is pretty small for a living soil auto grow. You may have read otherwise, but that is my educated opinion.
    I would do as suggested and defoliate the hell out of them. It appears that most of the major fading is the big fans that you don't need anymore. They are blocking lots of light to the budsites. Stop by my auto thread and visit with us as well (it the one in my sig). There are some good recent pics of defoliated autos there. You could post a pic, trim the big fans, and post another pic and we will help guide ya through it. All the folks there are super friendly.
    How long do you think they will grow? I bet they are getting close to the end.
    I also agree that you probably 'had' way more light than you can utilize without 'legit' CO2 introduction. With COBs, 80-100 watts a plant, no matter how big, is plenty.
    I wouldn't worry about temps that go up to 80'F, that is where I prefer to be for autos.
    hth
    cheers
    os

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. Im thinking I will go another 3-4 weeks at least. I usually crop mine around week 14. Ill come over to the thread and say hi, thanks for the info.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Honestly using the top inch of soil as your deciding factor of when to water is not effective. In my experience the root zone will hold FAR more water than the top inch of soil. Pot weight, soil meter, or just overall appearance are the only things I use to decide when to water. I was over watering when relying on checking the top 1inch of soil. It was only when I started to check pot weight did I realize I was definitely over watering. Deficiency like symptoms disappeared once I changed my watering habits. Best of luck.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Grasscity Forum mobile app

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. It seems with my plastic pots that when my finger test says dry, the bottom of the pot barely has any moisture in it. It feels cooler and a little denser but not really wet to the touch. I usually water about 1/2 gallon at a time. Usually that's every 2 to 3 days depending on the finger test. I'll let them dry out real good and see what happens.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Grasscity Forum mobile app

18. If it doesnt feel like just the weight of dry soil it's still full of moisture

19. without CO2 anything above 1000PPFD is wasted light and might actually cause light stress. I think the defoliation will help since the plant wont have to provide for all the extra foliage and can concentrate the nutrients it can pull from the soil towards finishing the buds.

• Agree Agree x 2