Root Rot Help

Discussion in 'Sick Plants and Problems' started by tjg65, Sep 24, 2014.

1. This is my first hydro grow and everything was going good untill the other day i noticed some of my leaves looked like they were drooping over and one had a significant brown spot on it i thought maybe this was just from the lighting being to close so i let it go. Today when i went to check the PH i noticed that it is now a yellowish green and looks like its ready to fall off completely. This is the only leaf thats infected at this point the other ones look droopy but no spots and the new growth looks healthy. Today i went to change the water in my bucket when i noticed my roots where a light brownish color i know this to be root rot but i dont know what to do i dont want to start all over im already 20+ days into this grow i need some help what can i do to fix this i just added a fan to my grow room and i moved my air stone closer to the roots hopefully doing that and putting fresh water in my system will cure this problem so if anyone can help please let me know thank you!!!

2. I always used a cap full of Hydrogen Peroxide every time I changed my water and I I never had root rot. I don't know if that is the best method or not but it's a start. How often you change your water?

3. #3 gone4good, Sep 25, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2014
    You're growing dwc I assume?
    Do you use tap or well water?
    What temperature is your reservoir/water?
    Water temperature is one of the most important factors in preventing Pythium (root rot). The ideal water temperature in a hydroponic environment is 68-70 degrees F. Just some numbers here to put things in perspective a bit: at 50 degrees F, the amount of dissolved oxygen in water is approximately 11.5 mg/l, at 70 F it's 9 mg/l, and at 90 F it's 7.5 mg/l. Remember, this is the maximum amount of oxygen that water can hold at a given temperature.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Grasscity Forum mobile app

• Like Like x 1
  4. cooler water and more air. Use H2O2 as a last resort.

There is a method of One gram of pool shock in a gallon of water then from that put a trace of that mixture per gallon.

5. this was my first hydro grow and i didnt change the water for 23 days i did change it right before i put this post up and i used some hydrogen peroxide on the roots and a little in the water today. The plant already looks like its getting better after just changing my res water so hopefully now with the hydrogen peroxide it will get better. I ordered voodoo juice and that will be here in 4 days... and i am using tap water my temp is i the 60s the PH is 6.0 -6.5 the leaves that already had brown spots look done for but the new growth is doing great its not drooping anymore. Do any of you have any experience with voodoo juice?? and for my next grow im def not going to rush through it like i did this one i was just soo excited and i got everything in the mail and set it up right away with very little knowledge on what to do lol but now ive read up on DWC grows and what i need to do and im hoping it will get better i also added a fan to my grow room so hopefully that helps thank you guys so much and if you have any other advice let me know and please let me know what you think about this voodoo juice