Root rot and Hydrogen Peroxide?

Discussion in 'Hydroponic Growing' started by Bluejays7, Jan 13, 2021.

1. Hi, I have 4, 5 gallon buckets doing DWC. I am am getting root rot so I changed out the water put fresh 3 gallons added 29% peroxide at 1ml per litre waited 12 hours then added nutes with green planet root builder with enzyne and great white. One of my buckets I changed the water after 12 hours and the root rot returned after 72 hours but the other 3 buckets with the remaining peroxide water are doing just fine. I have a feeling I don't need the root builder, enzym and great white and I need to just add hydrogen peroxide every bucket change. My question is how much 29% peroxide should I use for 3 gallons of water to keep the root rot at bay since the water is at 23 to 24c im sure the rot will return without it. Any insight would be greatly appreciated thanks.

2. Any h2o2 you’re adding into your system is going to kill all the beneficial bacteria in the great white. Best to use one or the other but definitely not both. 23-24 is way too warm for dwc. You’d be better off with one drop of bleach per gallon to start, and one drop per bucket, once a day after that.
    First, you should figure out a way to get your water temps down or you’ll keep running into problems. Weather it be a chiller, a homemade mini fridge chiller, or frozen water bottles, anything will help. best of luck

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. #3 logicbomb, Jan 13, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2021
    Couple things you can do here.

1) Are your buckets truly light proof? Even the black ones at the hydro store sometimes still leak light. Minor light leaks in your res aren’t the pure cause of root rot, but it definitely doesn’t help.

2) Wrap your buckets in aluminum tape, if you haven’t already. It will make your buckets 100% light proof, and also deflect heat a good bit, keeping temps down.

3) As mentioned, 23-24C is wayyyy too warm for DWC. They need to be more like 18-20C/66-68F. If you’re unable to get temps down, it’ll be a forever uphill battle to keep a sterile res. In that case, you are better off ditching any hope of sterilization and running something like Hydroguard, to keep good bacteria to kill the bad bacteria. You also either keep a sterile res, or not. There’s no point in sterilizing if you’re putting good bacteria in. It will kill everything, including the stuff you want to keep...and the root rot will just take over again. The bad news here is that good bacteria can only do so much once a plant has already been infested with root rot, it really needs to be introduced from the jump to be the most effective. If the h2o2 treatments are working but the res temps stay high, something has to give. Not all hope is lost but definitely getting temps down is critical here!

For future grows I’d hop on a good bacteria guard early, if you don’t want to invest in a water chiller.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Thank you Jaboc33, I didn't know you could use bleach like that. I might do that if the beneficial bacteria doesn't take hold to the roots which it is sure to happen because my temps. I found this chart for different dilutions to use of hydrogen peroxide I guess I could go by the 35% recommendations for now. CannaStats - H2O2 Uses and Dilutions

5. Thanks logicbomb
    I guess I could fill in some more hydroton to keep the light out and aluminium taping the bucket sounds like a great idea I am going to do that for sure. I added Green Planet Root Builder that has bacillus root like hydro guard but I guess I added it too late. If I get a chiller I guess I would have to attach my buckets to make a RDWC setup? If I make a RDWC setup might that reduce the temps enough by itself. Do you know of any setup guides for RDWC?

6. Here's the dilution rate on my bottle of 29% 16105806000394561425195634011198.jpg What you describe is typical H202 .
    I found success with this its the same bacteria as Hydroguard at a fraction of the price and highly concentrated. GARDEN FRIENDLY FUNGICIDE – Southern Agricultural Insecticides, Inc.

7. #7 logicbomb, Jan 14, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2021
    Yeah, you’d need an RDWC setup to run a water chiller. I never ran one myself so I don’t know much about them. You can also switch from buckets to a large tub, if you have only a few plants you can grow several in one tub (kind of like a mega bubble bucket). Then run your chiller through the water in there.

Definitely try to get temps down other ways first, I think you can...unless you have a burning desire to go RDWC. If you can lose just a few degrees, you should be fine provided you introduce good bacteria from the beginning in the future. The aluminum tape helps A LOT, tape your lid and buckets. You can build a PVC box around your buckets and cover it in panda film or mylar to keep light (and heat) totally off them too. At a last ditch effort, frozen waterbottles will get you to harvest if needed. Just take off the labels and clean them throughly.

8. I moved my air compressor out of my tent then put a tupper wear container filled with water placed the end of the air compressor where the air splits into water and it succesfully brought the temp down to 22c but I got myself a 1/10th water chiller and will be connecting the buckets after this harvest. Thanks for all the help everyone.

• Winner Winner x 1