Root Question???

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by Leoso, Jul 20, 2012.

1. Ok, I have got 4 plants in a bubbler/dwc large reservoir. Now because the roots are free to do what they want to do I am finding that they are getting tangled up. Now is it alright to trim and prune roots??...Or are they alright tied together???.
    Its not all 4 sets entwining, just 2 together then the same opposite.
    The growth seems kinda uniform. 2 are smaller than the others, but they were the same when I transplanted them.
    Also has anybody got any ideas how I could keep them serperate, like some sort of small holed meshing or something, and split the resdervoir into 4 seperate chambers or something???....
    any advice peeps????......

2. Why do you think it's bad if they get all tangled?

Just let them grow together, there's nothing wrong with it.

3. What is root bound mean ?

4. I don't think plants can get root bound in hydro...

5. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

root bound

roots wrapping all around the soil, i.e running out of room, needing to transplant, if you don't it cause stunted growth and smaller buds

6. I was just thinking that because plants feed from roots then prehaps it might have problems if roots are tangled.
    Also if I was to trim the roots then would it stunt the growth?, im guessing it would, but would it harm the plant, beyond repairable damage like??

cheers...

7. roots in DWC will grow like mad. the whole bucket will be filled by the end. just make sure they don't plug up your air stones and you'll be fine.

EDIT: wait, you have more than one plant in the same bucket? that could cause issues down the line

8. trimming roots can cause stunting. some people do trim them a little but there's really no point. more roots is better and marijuana plants tend to have big roots.

9. Yh I found out about the roots in my first DWC (still using for flowering mother), im cleaning out the air outlet every 2-3 days...Pain in the arse isnt the word!!!!
    what problems can you forsee in the future??...Im planning on scrogging these...

I know its cruel to damage a plant, but I could do with stuntung the growth for a few weeks because I dont have room...Got really mixed up with times and dates and stuff!!!.....

10. i've heard that controlling the pH levels and such with multiple plants in the same container can be difficult. i've never actually had more than one plant per bucket so i don't know for sure though.

i still wouldn't stunt the plants. just tie them down (i.e. LST them). much easier to control growth and doesn't harm the plants as much as cutting does.

11. Yh I can see where ya comin from pal.. Think will look into the different methods of LST. I have just topped them so will wait for the lower shoots to catch up and the newer growth to show and them begin training them...
    Looks like I need to spend some time on here searching haha

cheers for the input

12. I know a few growers that do 4 plants in 15 gallons totes doing a short sea of green grow and they grow some killer shit. As long as they dont get to big they have very few problems when thet do have a problem.

13. [quote name='"CANNAweed420"']