Root issues??

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Outdoors' started by Skip I am, Dec 14, 2018.

1. #1 Skip I am, Dec 14, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2018
    I've only got one season under my belt and this just feels like root problems. This is organic soil, only the below nutes have been added. pH runoff tests at exactly 6.0. I had a fungus gnat problem so I first sprayed the soil surface with neem oil then top dressed with neem seed meal with a light dressing of insect frass as well. Nothing further. This was done about 3 days ago so it's possible the problem has been fixed and it will just take a little while to recover but I'm not experienced enough to know for certain. The soil does have plenty of perlite in it. It's not visible due to the top dressing of neem meal and insect frass. Always water following the weight and feel method. Just another clue that if it's a root issue it's from the fungus gnat larvae feasting on my roots. The single leaf pic looks like a potassium deficiency imo but i feel like this could also be a side effect of a root issue as well. 20181213_171313.jpg 20181213_171257.jpg 20181213_170123.jpg

Sent from my SM-N960U using Grasscity Forum mobile app

2. I've seen that leaf edge discoloration on outdoor plants, when I didn't add dolomite lime to the soil a head of time.
    But it would only be evident during early vegetative growth, then as summer progressed, it seemed to clear up. I was using a pretty heavy horse manure application as a soil amendment, and wondered about a possible soil fungus as cause as well.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Dolomite corrects the pH. So I would assume it is then likely actually a pH issue. I have not been adjusting the pH in my water. I tested the run off and its testing at 6.0, out of the tap its 8.8-9.1. Last season I always pH'd my water but was trying to lean on the soil to buffer it for me this time around.

4. You’re putting 9 ph water in and getting 6.0 at runoff?

5. Yeah it fluctuates some but I see exactly what you are saying now. The soil is too acidic period. Which would explain why he's seen this symptom when he doesn't add dolomite since dolomite raises soil pH. Smfh sorry for being a noob.

6. Maybe it actually is a soil fungus I am going to actually test the soil later on tonight using the method I found just now. That will decide whether it's a fungus or pH. Although STC did bring up a interesting point. I'm watering with high pH water but runoff is borderline acidic on its own.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Are you going to slurry test with distilled water? That’s the right way to do it, but runoff ph is a good indicator when it’s off like yours was. You may have to flush with high ph water to get rootzone ph up and top dress with dolomite lime.

• Like Like x 1
  8. #8 DrDizzle, Dec 14, 2018
    All the neem, Chitin, and neem based shit he top dressed the soil with could be locked up in his medium causing a funky lockout! His first post he went ham probably on fungus knats, and I believe seriously contaminated his soil with oil and biologicals. I have seen this before!

Flush, PH balance, recover!

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

• Like Like x 1
  9. If he's using Plain old Tap Water,
    the Distilled Water will change his pH equation wont it?
    I use Tap Water for watering,
    and Tap Water for the Soil Slurry.
    If he users Distilled Water and test's the Slurry pH & go's back to using Plain Tap H2O. Why the Distilled Water?

• Like Like x 1
  10. Distilled usually has a neutral ph and low ppms. We’re looking for rootzone ph. He can feed with ph adjusted tap or even slurry with it too

11. So your just using the Distilled 7pH as a known value for the Slurry mixture.
    What if the Tap Water was also 7pH, the only difference is that there are no metal's in the water as ppm.
    I still really dont get it, though i just received my first vap today, i turned it up to 210c and im kinda seeing double...
    If you could elaborate on this further im
    Interested in learning boss?

12. It’s just how you’re supposed to do the slurry test from what I’ve read. Probably because of zero ppm too. It’s just a pure water source compared to tap. I rarely do it because I monitor runoff ph if I see an issue. That’s enough of indicator for me.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Really for hydro grower's for the ppm/ec.

My Tap Water = 7pH
    Tap Water runoff = 6.5pH
    Adjusted Soil = 6.0pH

• Like Like x 1
  14. I seriously doubt organics are responsible for this being that they were used after the the problem already presented itself. Neem oil is not a soil contaminant. Neem seed and insect frass aren't chicken manure.

15. Looks like potassium is locked out

• Like Like x 1
  16. I never adjust my tap ph in organic soil as i have no need to when i messed with ph before always led to issues also ph can change based on the o2 levels in water. As well.

Also what are you using to asjust it?
    Some use lemon juice which does take a while to actully settle

• Like Like x 2
  17. I thought i was the only grower who didn't test ph, ppm in or out, temp or rh. Only thing i test are the buds.

• Funny Funny x 1
  18. Litrally eye ball my organic bottled nutes dont ph shit havent for 5 years when i stopped, everything improved.

20181204_161513.jpg IMG_20181014_200801_409.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  19. #19 Skip I am, Dec 14, 2018
    I have not adjusted my soil ph. The soil has dolomite lime in it already. The symptoms have not progressed in 2 days and plant growth seems to have started picking back up since the 2 amendments were top dressed and the neem spray. I assume potassium deficiency can be a side effect of root issues but you would know better than me. I do notice my other plant that had the same symptoms appears to be getting color back in the leaves now as well and the growth seems to be coming back just the same.

This pic is of the same plant in the original post, as of just now. The leaf edge discoloration seems to have stopped progressing.

1544813672372.jpg

20. #20 DrDizzle, Dec 15, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2018
    B