root bound??

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Outdoors' started by puff99buds, Jun 29, 2010.

1. #1 puff99buds, Jun 29, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 29, 2010
    ive been hearing alot about rootbound lately. plants are really bushy and thick and some are just tall. i have most of my plants in 5 gal. buckets outdoor this year. the roots already got to the holes in the bottem of the bucket i drilled. i was thinking about digging some holes where my spot is and cut the bottems out using a mini cutter or a battery saz zaw. im wondering will this increase my yeild by alot. most of them just showed sex a couple weeks ago. so if im gonna do it probally better to do it sooner then later. any body have good luck with 5 gal outdoors? im close to the spots so watering isnt an issue. to cut or not to cut??

edit- any ones here have luck with cha ching or is it just some exppensive product that doesnt do much. recently bought some and was wondering if it actually works

2. bump.......

3. There's no harm in using bigger pots, but 5 gallons should be big enough, and I wouldn't transplant during flowing to avoid stressing them. If you really want to you could use bigger pots next time, but as I say 5 gals is about right :)

4. but will i see alot more off of them if i cut the bottems out and dig holes? just wondering if its worth it. plants shouldnt be starting to flower for atleast another 3 weeks so im just wondering if i should do it now. any average yeilds? there all different, some pure indica, some mixed, 1 pure sativa. using fox farm nutes and there getting plenty of sunlight

5. #5 yoctown, Jun 29, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2010
    I always prefer to put my outdoor plants in the ground. I think they get bigger that way in my opinion. I do like to do a few transplants to produce the type of root system i want to begin with but after a 2 gallon pot id say throw it in the ground. The plants will love you for the unrestricted root space. Use some good soil to.

Also a restricted root space is telling your plants to grow a certain size. The roots feel the walls and grow accordingly above ground.

6. yeah i realize that they can grow bigger then the pots.. im just asking if its worth it to cut the bottems tho. will i really see that much more is what im asking. i like that pots cuz i can move them to where ever i want incase something does happen. will i see a noticeable amount more

7. It doesn't hurt to give the roots a bit more room to grow. I doubt it will increase your yield by too much but it can't hurt. Just be careful not to stress them.

8. yeah i might try it with a few and see what happens.. any here use cha ching? how do you guys like it?

9. I've used cha-ching before but with alot of other nutes. Grow was okay but something I added made the buds pop like fireworks so now I do all organic. Some people really like the stuff. Sorry no direct answer. Try it on a couple and leave it out of others.

10. what kind of nutes? im using ff grow big and big bloom. any one else used cha ching?

11. i don't see how increased root production will hurt your yield it could only help.

12. #12 puff99buds, Jun 30, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 30, 2010
    true.. i do like having them in pots tho. cuz right now ive just been moving them to a couple different spots to find the best one. just makes life easier. if im not gonna see more then an ounce more its not really worth it for me. ive got enough to still get a huge yeild. wish i had a camara to take pics of these beasts.. heres what i got.. one clone- could be super skunk or snowdawg, thats in the ground.. planted 6 seeds- all which have been female except two havent shown sex yet, i got lucky, didnt think id have that many females. the seeds are all mixed, i know some are love poition #1, the others i have really no clue but all of them are looking amazing. got 2 seeds off my friend from a seed bank in canada- one juicy fruit, one summer time buddah kush- both female also. so in total as of now i have 6 females. last year i had 3 clones in the ground, one which hardly got any sun and i was using mirical grow nutes and i got alittle over a half lb. this year i have one in the ground and 5 in 5 gal. pots, still waiting on 2 to show sex. usuing happy frog soil, fox farm nutes, cha ching and in better spots then last year.. what you guys think should atleast see a pound right? thats what im aiming for, could be less could be more but i think i should see atleast that