Root Aphids

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by thcmastera, Oct 24, 2015.

1. Just noticed this morning all my plants in flowering have root aphids. Since I'm growing organiclly what should I do?

• Like Like x 1
  2. What a total bummer!! COVET73 has you covered. Good luck with the eradication! TWW

3. how do you even know they're root aphids? they're probably soil mites that compost organic matter. you got a pic?

4. There under leaves as well. Especially the plants that appear sixk

5. Then the plants that I put in flower room last week are showing a few under leaves

6. root aphids do not get on the leaves. that is spider mites. do the leaves have dots all over? are there bugs in the soil too?

7. Yes. But no webbing

8. Let me get some pictures. I'll be back within the hour. Thanks for the help guys. Am I in better luck if it is spider mites?

9. one pest isn't worse than another but present a different set of difficulties. personally i would rather have mites than root aphids as i know a few folks who have never rid themselves of them despite going to some pretty drastic measures. mites are no picnic and when there is a lot of leaf damage, the population is really high. some mites don't produce webbing and those are the easier ones to kill. you may need a scope to get a good pic although i am most certain its mites. just a pic of the leaf damage will suffice.

10. I'll USE my USB loop

11. Here is the pics up close.

Attached Files:

12. #13 ladyluckybean, Oct 24, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2015
    well, that is not mites. that does look rather aphid like. i'm not sure what to tell you now.

what kind of leaf damage is there? pic of that?

• Winner Winner x 1
  13. I have root aphids myself I am in pro mix using vegamatrix I bought Monterey garden spray with spinosad and I also got nematodes . My question is can I root drench with the Monterey and if so how do I go about dosage thanks bud!

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum mobile app

14. #15 ladyluckybean, Feb 26, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2016
    Yes you can and the same application rate as spray. I would do more than just water it in. I haven't had them but from what I've read, people dunk the whole container.

A friend of mine has had RA for a long time and he has tried everything. He has found that using green lacewing larvae has kept them controlled and the less he has fought them, his plants health has improved. It can't be easy for the roots to breathe with dunking and they're already being attacked.

Now he orders the eggs and sprinkles them on top the soil, then a light mist of water. The eggs hatch and the larvae are called aphid lions. They will eat eggs and bugs both up to 200 a week each larvae. Arbico has a deal on a weekly release package where u get three weekly shipments for $46 and it includes the shipping.

I have recently been reading about garlic extract using smashed cloves that sit a day in a bucket of water. The extract is plant permeable and should stay in the roots for a bit. You could try that the day before you get your shipment. Then release larvae the next day. He does this any time the aphid population increases.

I wish I had a better safe option for you.

15. Yes you can and the same application rate as spray. I would do more than just water it in. I haven't had them but from what I've read, people dunk the whole container.

A friend of mine has had RA for a long time and he has tried everything. He has found that using green lacewing larvae has kept them controlled and the less he has fought them, his plants health has improved. It can't be easy for the roots to breathe with dunking and they're already being attacked.

Now he orders the eggs and sprinkles them on top the soil, then a light mist of water. The eggs hatch and the larvae are called aphid lions. They will eat eggs and bugs both up to 200 a week each larvae. Arbico has a deal on a weekly release package where u get three weekly shipments for $46 and it includes the shipping.

I have recently been reading about garlic extract using smashed cloves that sit a day in a bucket of water. The extract is plant permeable and should stay in the roots for a bit. You could try that the day before you get your shipment. Then release larvae the next day. He does this any time the aphid population increases.

I wish I had a better safe option for you.
    </blockquote>
    Listen bro u just gave me enough information and I want to thankyou for the quick response . It seems u know your shit and that's why I quoted you. I was going to do a root drench with the Monterey and then introduce nematodes. But I will def look more into what you said. My plants look fine though . Do u think i would be sacrificing anything if I didn't get rid of them and harvested them ? And I would throw out my medium and start over. At first I thought they were soil mites because I see no damage . The most damage is a hole in the leaf witch grew that way.. no bugs eating the leaves. Also do u know if those lacewigs will interfere with nematodes. Sorry for all the questions!

16. #17 Sc00byD00bie, Feb 26, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 26, 2016

i bet that's your problem right there.
    your plant isnt getting what it needs to bolster its defenses. you want neem, aloe vera, silica, kelp. things that will help the plant be more resistant and strong. you want a teaming soil full of life, where one type of pest will find it hard to get a foot hold.

i know this isnt helping your right now, but if you are serious about continuing to grow id highly recommend you read up on making your own soil on the sticky's here on GCO.

peace[​IMG]

17. I plan on making my own this summer right now I have no time or room I'm using vegamatrix witch has all that kelp seaweed and shit but yes I agree . A living soil would be a lot better . Thanks for ur input

18. I'm a chick. Hehe

If this is something new, I would throw them out. You would eliminate the majority of them right away and maybe they didn't get up in your lights or someplace to come back and haunt u.

The larvae or anything else will only control; not eradicate. Throw away your plants, pop some seeds, add some predators. Soil drench with the spinosad. Start watering with neem tea added and I highly advise a living soil with crab meal and premium compost or castings. Honestly, I haven't had them and don't want to. People resort to chemicals outta of desperation and this bug is bad news. Toss the plants. I personally feel no strain is worth never being able to grow again. Now that is devastating.

19. #20 ladyluckybean, Feb 26, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2016