Root aphids (I think), feedback on my response?

Discussion in 'Sick Plants and Problems' started by REllisson, Jul 16, 2019.

1. Hello all and thanks for reading and giving me feedback on the first problem of my first grow!
    Noticed some tiny insects crawling around on the surface of my soil today when doing a close inspection (prompted by poor growth of plant 3). They are visible to the naked eye, but I used a loupe to attempt to photograph them. Insects are in every pot. Some are on the plants but no visible leaf damage caused by munchers. I suspect they are root aphids. Photos of each plant, and some of the buggers that were willing to pose for me are attached.

A bit about my grow: indoors, 4'x4'x80"; exhaust fan + carbon filter to exterior, passive intake with bug filter; LED 2x300W; 7gal pots; soil, mostly composed of coir but with some crappy slow release soil near the bottom; vermiculite of varying amounts in each pot, 8-16 cups (I know perlite is preferable, will take that into account for 2nd grow); weekly to biweekly watering with BioThrive Grow, as well as occasional targeted waterings for underperforming plants that are not showing signs of underwatering; no CalMg buffering or additives because I haven't bought them yet (I know I will have to esp. in coir, just a cash flow issue); diatomaceous earth mixed in thoroughly with soil (but I know it won't perform well when damp, and the soil is currently damp). Let me know if you have any more questions about my setup.

Instead of helplessly asking what to do, I already came up with a plan of action:
    1. Beneficial Nematodes
      This here is the product I'm looking at. It says "fungus gnats" on the packaging, will that work or should I go to Amazon for stuff marketed for root aphids? I already called around the local nurseries and couldn't find one selling beneficial insects of any kind.
    2. Insect paper
      Run-of-the mill fly paper should do the trick right? Just want to keep any flying aphids out of the soil. Do they make specialized baited papers?
    3. Some kind of insecticidal soap or neem oil
      Will mix at manufacturer suggested ratio with water and apply after the soil dries out more. Do you all have any suggestions for products to go for? I'm leaning towards AzaMax. The issue with treating like this of course is that I have to hold off on beneficial insects, since those would get nuked too. If I do go this route, I will apply beneficial insects after insecticide treatment as a prevention method down the line.
    Thanks for reading all this!

Attached Files: